Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory...

Tools    

Sorry, Jim Carrey is not the Neo for this movie. I vote Kevin Spacey.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
It has to be someone that can pull off being crazy but still be calm about being crazy. They have to be able to sing a little too. Whats Wanka without singing?
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Female assassin extraordinaire.
it's true, spacey is looking a little rough these days but he does have that boyish look, most definitely. a bit of a sad puppy dog look but i am sure he can alter himself (he's a chameleon, that yummy man) into youthful boyishness.

wilder was on the young side when he made the movie, too, and there's no one around the same age with the same sense of presence, so we'll have to go older/younger.

carrey is great, i don't deny that; this is not a goofy film. but this is a film that his style of humor I think would be too forceful for. this requires a gentle touch, which I've not seen carrey do. the closest was the truman show but there he was ignorant and innocent. i don't know if he could carrey off ... oops, carry off wonka cuz wonka was a tad bit ... wicked. in a subtle sorta way. and like i said, i don't see carrey as capable of "subtle".

ANTHONY HOPKINS is the Neo! Seriously! heehee!

Hopkins, if he were thinner, and a little younger, would indeed fit quite well. He's well spoken, always seems to be on top of things, and seems as if he'd sing quite well. He's just a bit too hefty to prance around during the musicla numbers.

Well why cant Willy Wonka be a little hefty? Hes around candy all day long. And what are they gonna do about the Oompa Lumpas? They would look too weird today.

Now With Moveable Parts
At the risk of getting tons of backlash here I want to say that Kevin Spacey is indeed a very talented actor,but come on...Willy Wanka?Whatever.It's not a 'dis on Spacey,it's just wrong.What about Nick Cage.He can be very comical,mysterious,brooding,clever.Kind of has a Gene Wilder look about him too,I still say it would be hard to fill his shoes.

Rock God
sadesdrk
you can say what you like about willy wonka, but don't bust on the original planet of the apes! go read my most recent post in the review section for planet of the apes. that movie was trying to get at something, and it was NOT hokey. by the way, why the hell would spacey play willy wonka? you guys sound like a bunch of stoned frat boys or something.

I vote for Matthew Broderick.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by BrodieMan
sadesdrk
you can say what you like about willy wonka, but don't bust on the original planet of the apes! go read my most recent post in the review section for planet of the apes. that movie was trying to get at something, and it was NOT hokey. by the way, why the hell would spacey play willy wonka? you guys sound like a bunch of stoned frat boys or something.
Did someone put cranky-butt in your cereal this morning?We never said Spacey would play Wonka,we're just talking about it like people do.Don't come on a thread just trying to make people feel stupid.And by the way,some of us are frat GIRLS.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
YEAH!

well um, no. i'm anti-frat. but i support the female element here at the testosterone loaded movieforums. :-D

Rock God
cranky-butt? i love pointless debating about movie stars. i said "stoned frat boys". is that a bad thing? *points finger at himself* anyway, girls are in sororities.

Robin Williams as Willie Wonka? Or an Oompah Loompah?

MovieForums Extra
LOL

Now With Moveable Parts
BrodieMan-sometimes you come off a little harsh.I only said frat GIRLS because that's how you originally said it,ya know, I was trying to ephasize that almost everyone on this site assumes everyone else is male.I am FEMALE,a fembot,hear me roar!Just jokin'.-k-anyhoodles,Robin Williams would be cool,hey me and my sisters made this weird observation,when Williams does a serious role,he has a beard.When he does a comedic role,no beard.Think about it.

Rock God
well, i didn't mean boys literally. please don't be offended. i'm genuinely sorry if you were, i honestly didn't mean anything bad by what i said. i'm just joking around half the time anyway. you're right about there needing to be more girls using this site. sorry.

Now With Moveable Parts
ooooh,I forgot about slugworth.Interesting observation.BrodieMan,it's all good baby.I get a little tart at times too,now I know you've got a little edge to ya and I'll stay on your good side...just jokin'Anyhoo,maybe the real question is who should play Charlie Bucket?Or the grandpa for that matter.We are so limited in child actors.Like let's lock up that pepsi girl so she can't do anything else untill she grow into those huge dimples!So annoying!I know!Haley Joel Osmond or whatever could play everything untill he's like 16!

Guy
I can definately see Marylon Manson in this role, I also hear there were talks involving Manson.

If Burton directed, and Manson was the weird chocolate guy it would be interesting, and visually excellent.

That's a riduclous rumor...no way in hell (or anywhere else, for that matter) that Marilyn Manson is gonna be in that movie. Just ain't gonna happen...I don't believe any negotiations even took place, to be honest with you. That said, yeah, Osment is sort of a no-brainer for the role, but I think it might be better with a lesser-known child actor.