The Black and Whites

Tools    

I always try to explain Jim Jarmusch like this: no movie is for everyone, and Jarmusch's movies even more so. He is maybe the very definition of an 'acquired taste'. BUT, those of us who do like his work usually tend to love it.

I think Dead Man and Ghost Dog: the Way of the Samurai are in many ways his two most accessible films. Becuase they use familiar genres as a starting point, it may be easier for audiences unaccostomed to his storytelling style to find their way into Jarmusch. But that's a double-eged sword since both of those movies ultimately stray so far from those genres, it's also easy for audiences to be disappointed or confused by what in the hell he was trying to do.

Much like trying to explain a joke to somebody who doesn't get it, it may be impossible to talk someone into liking a Jim Jarmusch film. If you don't connect with 'em, you don't connect with 'em, what else is there to say? I happen to think the guy is a genius, and Dead Man is one of my very favorites, but while I can detail some of what it is I adore about it, I'd be a damn fool to try and talk someone into "getting" it.

Will this be your first experience with a Jim Jarmusch movie, Patti? The other one of his people tend to have caught up with, other than Ghost Dog, is Night on Earth. I guess that's because the trailer was funny and Winona Ryder was still a somewhat hot star back then in the early '90s. I like Night on Earth, but it's my least favorite of all he's done so far. His other major films are Stranger Than Paradise, Down by Law and Mystery Train, but unless you've got access to cool channels like IFC or Sundance, those don't pop up too frequently on television and only a really good video store (as in NOT Blockbuster Video) is likely to have them on the shelves.

In any event, let us know what you think of Dead Man, good and bad.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

oh yeah, i saw Stranger Than Paradise and Down By Law about ten years ago and enjoyed them. ( i've been a fan of Screamin' Jay Hawkin's ever since....he just recently died, i believe.) i have all of Tom Waits music speaking of music. but i never saw Mystery Train...although i planned to. i have just missed so many things- lots to explore.

If you liked Stranger Than Paradise and Down By Law, I'm confident you'll enjoy Dead Man - even without being a Western fan. No Tom Waits or Sreamin' Jay Hawkins on the soundtrack, but Neil Young does provide a haunting and effective score. Well I think it's effectively haunting, though I've heard non-fans call it sparse and annoyingly repetative.

Screamin' Jay Hawkins did just die last year (February 2000). You're in for a treat when you finally catch Mystery Train, because Hawkins has an on-screen role, and Tom Waits is the voice of the D.J. we hear throughout the flick. It also has Steve Buscemi's first great role, so you gotta check it out soon.

And BTW, where were you on the "Name That Song" thread down in the games section yesterday?!? I posted lyrics from "The Piano Has Been Drinking (Not Me)" and got nothing but cyber-crickets in response.

Hey "Holden" (I love the Wild B Too)- and its awesome to meet another passionate Jaramusch fan. I agree totally no one can be talked into "Getting" one of his films (Much like Lynch, Cronenberg etc...personal faves also).

I too love all JJ works, Ghost Dog is my undisputed fave, followed alongside Dead Man and Mystery Train..I've seen most all his films, The Neil Young doco "Year Of The Horse" directed by Jaramsch was my first and Im not really a huge "Young" fan but from that I was inspired to seek out his work..

Cool Patti, Im glad that putting my passion for this film into brief words had influence enough for someone to give "Dead Man" a chance. Have you seen "Pi" or "Seconds"?. Both use B&W in interesting ways to tell the story..... But again both are eccentric films, Aronofsky is an acquired taste.

Sorry for getting off the topic of B&W films a little, but felt like a little bonding session...To throw a few more faves in the mix (Hopefully not yet mentioned)..

Truman Capote's "In Cold Blood"- directed by Richard Brookes

Oscar Wilde's "The Picture Of Dorian Gray" directed by Albert Lewin

John Huston's "Treasure Of Sierra Madres"

cool guys, thanx for putting a smile on my face

i've brought up The Picture of Dorian Gray a few times in our discussion's of favorite Black and White films....somewhere on the B&W thread or on the "random praise for faves" thread where we talked about some classics before they had their own thread..."Dorian" is great, and i've seen "Seconds" many times....THE MAIN REASON I FOUND this forum is because i didnt have anyone to talk to about movies like these.....no one seemed to know about Seconds (etc.), or care.....and so i come on here and mention the "somewhat obscure" Seconds, and Holden blasted me with my first gust of his expertise. i've been hooked ever since.

holden, i haven't ventured onto the music thread because i tend to be very lame when it comes to music...i have my favorites, but my knowledge is pretty limited. i've got my classic jazz faves, lot's of old blues, some classical, and then stuff like Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen, ......and more.....i just assumed that anything with "music" in the title WOULDN'T be something i could contribute to. i should read more thread intro's before i dismiss them. i already use most of my free time surfing the parts of this forum that i've been regularly contributing to....

Deckard (I love BladeRunner too) and Patti (and I also like the feeling of mushing across the frozen tundra), as Jarmusch fans you guys have to track down "Fishing with John".

"Fishing with John" was a little series made for TV in the early '90s and follows musician and sometime actor John Lurie (Down by Law, Stranger Than Paradise, Paris,Texas) as he goes fishing in various interesting locales with friends. If that one-line description doesn't sound like much, listen to who his fishin' buddies are: Jim Jarmusch, Tom Waits, Dennis Hopper, Matt Dillon and Willem Dafoe. The locations they travel to are off the coast of Long Island, Costa Rica, Jamacia, frozen northern Maine and Thailand.

Each episode is just Lurie and one of his friend's on location. Of course Lurie has no idea how to fish, as do few of his guests. But these shows are hysterical. They have the same kind of low-key, subtle, deadpan, off-beat humor as Jarmusch's films or Waits' songs. All the episodes are funny, but my favorite is probably with Waits in Jamacia. Let's just say you'll never be able to go fishing again without the urge to put your catch down your pants.

Here's some typical dialogue...

TOM WAITS: I'll drive.

JOHN LURIE: You wanna drive?

TOM WAITS: No.

I see "Fishing with John" airs on IFC (and Bravo) from time to time, and was also made available on VHS and DVD a couple years back. The DVD is on the Criterion label and includes a Lurie commentary track for all six episodes.

.....sitting here in a quiet room, browsing the forum...and just now reading the final post on this thread which was you, holden, and your dialogue box sample...and i'm laughin'..totally picturing Tom Waits saying it. so yeah, i'll check it out...fishing with john...thanks.

you know,holden, i've been itchin' to post my opinion of Dead Man.....yet i haven't found the words yet to describe it poetically enough.....i have to do it justice and so remain mute until the words come.....poetry is the only word to come thus far.
in the meantime, i'm watching another movie tonight......The Talented Mr. Ripley -surprises thus far as far as my expectations go; Matt Damon is less a horse(face) to me in this movie and so i can see him better for his acting ability, and Jude Law is more a pansy than heart-throb, but good -very good ...and Paltrow is Paltrow. did you like this one Holden?

I thought The Talented Mr. Ripley was OK, but I had some problems with it and found the general critical concensus overrated it severely.

One major problem I had is this story had been filmed before, in French, by Rene Clement, called Purple Noon (1960). While that much earlier version is a lot less slick technically and the narrative style is different, I liked Purple Noon considerably more.

And the author of the Ripley novels, Patricia Highsmith, also wrote the book that Hitchcock made Strangers on a Train from. That classic I like more than Minghella's Ripley or Clement's Noon.

It's been a while since I've seen The Talented Mr. Ripley in full, so all the smaller specifics are just a blur now, but there's something I respond to in Hitchcock and Clement that was seriously lacking for me in Ripley. It was different, but not in a good way.

One scene I really liked in the newer film is with Philip Baker Hall as the American Detective near the end of the flick. That was a change from Purple Noon that I liked, but overall I prefer the more stark movie Clement made.

I'd have to really sit and think about what particular scenes and characterizations in the Minghella version didn't work for me, but quite frankly I'm too tired.

that was my problem last night....i was too tired and trying still to think and write... just look at my last post- it's just stupid....and after watching the whole movie i felt differently........i liked the movie well enough.....but it had it's problems...i'm just not as good at defining them as you are holden.....but aesthetically, matt damon gets in the way for me...i don't like looking at him....i feel like filing his teeth down.

The Fallen Idol (1948) is a Graham Green thriller i've neglected to mention.....told from the point of view of a young boy who worships the butler/servant (Ralph Richardson).......B&W lovers need to see this one, i you haven't seen it already. Holden? ... you like it? Deckard? LBJ? SilverB.? Sultan?

Totally agree "Patti", The Fallen Idol is a great film.

Not only is the B&W style great, but the plot and story feature well rounded and enthralling charecters and moral dilemmas that pulled me right in.

Good choice.

thanks Deckard.......i miss this thread/topic......had to inject it with a good film.

Sounds cool Thanks patti it's directed by Carol Reed the guy who did one of the Ultimate B&W's films "The Third Man" and another high breed B&W film called "Odd Man Out" staring James Mason even thou I haven't seen The Fallen Odol I would totally recommand these to you and Our Man in Havana (1960) with Alec Guinness these are all super cool Black & White films done by a master director Carol Reed. Thanks again for telling me about "The Fallen Odol" since you gave me a great recommandation I felt the need to give back.
________
COLORADO DISPENSARY

hey thanks Deckard and LBJ.....i feel so much better....after having posted a confession of sorts on the Kubrick thread.
i'm prone to spotlighting my weaknesses....but only in my warped ideal of openness. any misgivings disappear when i talk about the classics/B&W's and i'm delighted to discuss them with you guys.

thought I'd bring back this thread and mention another classic
B & W

The Grand Hotel

I watch this quite sometime ago and just think it's supreme. the characters interact with such grace together the timing is nice all the people in the background give the movie that added bonus of realism & atmmosphere that's what people would be doing walking in front and begin of characters plus I can't believe that such a Hollywood movie would have such a non hollywood ending go figure but it surprised the Sheit out of me.

does anybody else dig this movie.

I'll add Double Indemnity, Sunset Blvd., and there was this movie I watched- I forget - that had McMurtry, I believe, as a voyeur. "Something" Window... oh well, I enjoyed it immensely nonetheless.

Ed Wood

March of the Wooden Soldiers

The Hustler

The Manchurian Candidate

It's a Wonderful Life

Nosferatu

B & W Gangster epic Starring one of my hero's Rod Stieger called Al Capone with it's hard as nails, five in the eye gritty story telling your told the story of a young Capone coming into a bar and getting a job as a bouncer from there his rises through the rank to become the KING of Chicago.

The stark B & W Lucien Ballard Photography,the city landscape, the over the top Steiger performance, the old era cars, the pimp hats and the cool dudds made this film highly enjoyable.

For some reason when I hear Frank Sinatra Sing Chicago is my kind of town I think of Steiger's Capone ruthless or not there was a magical quality to it that few and far between don't have.

Cheers