The Black and Whites

Tools    

Female assassin extraordinaire.
yessiree we all need it! build it, and we will come.

got into them suckers young. love them and musicals.

WOWSA! where the H- E double toothpicks was i!? Opportunity was a knockin; and i was stuck doing a software reinstall..it took me awhile to get hooked back up to the internet.
I AM DELIGHTED to hear the impassioned interest in older movies! And, how kind and chivalrous of you all to wait for me to start a thread. i'm honored. But not sure how to narrow it down...

I, personally tend to avoid musicals, war movies and westerns - so my experience is with dramas, film noir, horror, and some romantic comedies. but i don't want to disallow other member's favorite genres. Holden? help me or take the bar.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
RE: Clerks and why it was better in 1994

Well, they can try to copy movies such as Clerks, but something like that can't be duplicated, simply because it's just one of those movies that can't make the whole idiotic, stoned, crazy, customers as funny as Smith made Clerks.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

You'll have to handle it by yourself, Patti. I'm gonna be out of town until Wednesday, so take 'er easy.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Now With Moveable Parts
Out of town till Wednesday? What in the hell am I going to do now? Holden...you should have warned me...I could have prepared. A celebration thread or something! Just kidding. You know I love/hate you. Someone should make the thread...lots of people have expressed intrest.

Well, The Man Who Wasn't There is my new fave. I can't believe the quality of this movie, but the Coen brothers certainly know what they're doing. I would highly recommend this movie to anyone who is a fan of B & W flicks. The story is also very retro, as it takes place in the 1940s. You can't miss this one...

Now With Moveable Parts
Thanks for the recommendation redbaron. I'm sure everyone already intends on seeing it. I know I won't miss it.

what's wrong with using this thread? we're all old movie fans to be hangin' on this thread and sades title is so simply put; eloquent really.......it can take us right up to Technicolor. we can just keep on talking B&W's. eh?

Hold on Holdon, don't go!

Hey Sades........any good conspiratory thoughts on what we could do to holdon in his absence? all switch names?...nah.....start a thread that's purely nonsense or completely opposite of how we feel? Praise stinkers and criticize masterpieces? Claim facts that we've pulled out of the air?
oh, wait, that would be misusing this wonderful site - boy, i hope i don't get kicked out of here...what's wrong with me?
[Edited by patti on 11-02-2001]

Hmmm, there's already too many threads about nothing. Maybe the new site will be up before Holden gets back. Now that would be a mind game. LOL...

Now With Moveable Parts
patti, you amuse me to the fullest! I wanted to do something to trick Holden too. What is it about that man that brings out my inner most brat? I hope you DO use this thread for your "old" movie praises...it's already established and it IS pretty much what you all were looking for. I won't mind I'll start. I think my all time favorite old movie is Gaslight. I was so drawn in! You really get that sense of mood and mystery that I talked about earlier. Ingrid Bergman is so beautiful! I just loved everything about it.

Gaslight is indeed a classic, but it's agonizing to watch.....the poor woman. it's a nailbiter of sorts.

SADES, i knew you'd at least have thoughts of playing trickster in a "quick, while Holden's away" game! but, i just said it to excise the thought! and i consider it an honor to make someone laugh.. You crack me up with practically every post, Sades. Commish has had me laughing out loud, as has Sultan...everybody here is pretty da** funny and quick.

Here's a really cool B&W CURSE OF THE DEMON it's about an ancient curse written and passed on a piece of parchment (must be given to the victim without his knowing) and then he has a certain amount of time before the demon comes for him. i've watched it a gazillion times and it's a fun one.

two more fun to watch flics are; MAN WITH THE X-RAY EYES starring Ray Milland....the nude (thanks to x-ray vision) dancing scene is a stitch. I'm thinking this movie is in color though. the other is called 4-D MAN...a scientist manages to pass his hand through a steel bar! then, in abuse of his "formula" goes kinda whacko.

THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN is also fun.
[Edited by patti on 11-03-2001]

Now With Moveable Parts
I love that movie..me mummie made me watch all those wacky un-kiddie movies when I was a kiddie. Of course I'm a product of the Mystery Science Theater 3000 generation too, a conflict of intrest. Either I make fun of the oldies...or watch them in all seriousness. Sometimes I do both.

oh no sades, these movies are just plain fun....

I saw your post on the Kevin Spacey thread (from sat) and i've been saying the same thing for a couple/few days now....like, where is everybody? did they all hang up their mouses because Holden is out of town? is holden secretly multiple members?

Now With Moveable Parts
Ha! I know...it's been a little un-exciting here this weekend. I don't know, maybe everybody has a life or something.Pff-as if having a life was everything!

yeah, right! some people have all the nerve! (easy boy, your flames are melting my face)

i can't believe i haven't remembered to "praise be" the movie i consider to be THE BEST EVER....a movie i think is absolutely BRILLIANT.....and that baby is the MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE.
[Edited by patti on 11-06-2001]

I've been really busy lately, that's where I've been. Now I come back and the whole place looks all creepy, like the tower of Bab-Il from Final Fantasy 2! I'll tell you I don't like this one bit, I fear change.
To be on topic, I looove black and White. I already mentioned High and Low in a post tonight, That movie is amazing, black and white makes noir, in all its greatness, what it is.
Speaking of which, I'm quite hype for The Man WHo Wasn't There, but not as hype as I am for The Royal Tenenbaums. I've never been so excited in my life... I think I'll end up like Brody was for Jay and Silent Bob. I'd seriously go anywhere to see that movie early, as long as I could drive there. December fourteen is waaaay too far away.
Also, I think Hitchcock, my favorite director, made his best movies in black and white. Why? Because he used black and white. He never really used color. Some people today can really use color to enhance films (I'm NOT talking about Steven Soderbergh) just as some people can use the absence of color via the black and white medium.
Speaking of which, does anyone else think that Steven Soderbergh's popularity is a hoax? Like Marivin Pontiac? They just got a bunch of stars together and agreed to all jock him. He might be a good director for the actors but I don't think he makes pleasant experiences for the viewer at all. Seriosuly Kafka was a masterpiece, but critics dissed it. Now all of a sudden, he nauseates and drills holes in the collective skull of humanity with Traffic and makes a terribly flawed message in Erin Brokovich and he's God? I don't know man... Sorry about the rambling, I guess I've just been away too long.

"[Hitchcock] never really used color."
You must have missed Vertigo, which like it or leave it is one of the most striking and complex uses of color in its day. My all-time favorite Hitch, North By Northwest, is another Technicolor trip, as are Rear Window, To Catch a Thief, Dial 'M' for Murder, The Trouble with Harry, Rope, and the re-make of The Man Who Knew Too Much, as well as all six of his films after Psycho.

And as for Steven Soderbergh, you're confusing his critical and/or popular reputation with his abilities. While I don't think Traffic or Erin Brockovich are his two best, they weren't bad films either. I rather liked what he did with Brockovich, though the BBC mini-series "Traffik" was superior to the film - save for the cinematography and Benicio Del Toro. But his overall body of work is spectacular. He's one of the best directors working in America today. I could give a flip how he's perceived by others, I enjoy the man's work and look forward to any and all future projects in his hands.

Now With Moveable Parts
North by Northwest, Vertigo, and Rear Window, they just don't make movies like these anymore. I can't firgure out why no one can capture the style of these kinds of films...

Well, they did that remake of Rear Window, but it failed to even match up to the original.

Movies back then were so good, because they were new ground. Nobody had seen movies like this before, so they could do stuff that would make people say, WOW...what a great movie. Nowadays, movies have been replicated, duplicated, triplicated, xerox'd, so you've seen everything.

Movies have to push the envelope now to be new ground. Final Fantasy almost got that, but failed with a void where the story should have been.

Black and Whites were so great, because corruption back then was uncommon. Director's these days are so uptight about making someone upset that they will drop something just because it's not kosher with some people. BE DARING, don't worry bout what other's think. If you made a movie that would please everyone, nobody would like it.

I obviously know that Hitchcock made movies in color, Jesus.
I'm saying that I don't think he ever manipulated the medium as well as he could have. Vertigo was probably his best film, in terms of use of color. However, I still don't think he came anywhere close do doing, in color, what he did wih Rebecca, The Lady Vanishes, or Strangers on a Train with black and White.