-Anne of Green Gables

The Last Picture Show
Casablanca
Schindler's List
Way Out West
Rebecca
Citizen Kane
The Man Who Wasn't There

Is this supposed to be our favorite black-and-white cinematography or simply our faves that happen to be filmed in black-and-white?

Using both as criteria for my personal list - great movies with great and/or ground-breaking B&W photography (in random order):

Casablanca, The Seventh Seal, Touch of Evil, Raging Bull, Hud, Rashomon, Dead Man, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Citizen Kane, Jules & Jim, The Seven Samurai, The Bride of Frankenstein, High Noon, The Killers, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, Rebecca, Paper Moon, The Third Man, Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb and Night of the Living Dead.

That's a good sampling of twenty timeless greats from me.

*oh, and Sades: Murder on the Orient Express was filmed in color. There was a purposefully faded look in the photography, but definitely color, not B&W.

[Edited by Holden Pike on 10-30-2001]
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Now With Moveable Parts
damn...for some reason my memory thought it was black and white. I saw it when I was 15...so, I guess that's just how I remembered it. Funny.* Nice Princess Bride qoute BigVal... I'm a big fan of that movie.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
aw, sades beat me to it!

love the Princess Bride quote! one of my all time favs, from little kid-dom.

hmm, lessee:

Citizen Kane
Double Indemnity
All About Eve
Spellbound
The Big Sleep
The Philadelphia Story
Top Hat
Dark Passage
To Have and Have Not
The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer
His Girl Friday
Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House

and I'm sure there are more, just can't remember.

oh baby, this is my territory - i LOVE so many B&W films, but here's a partial list:
Manchurian Candidate
Jane Eyre
Laura
Wuthering Heights
Murder My Sweet
Kiss Me Deadly
Picture of Dorian Gray (partial color)
Of Human Bondage (64)
Goodbye Mr. Chips
Double Indemnity
Dark Victory
In This Our Life
A Stolen Life
Stella Dallas
On Borrowed Time
Mrs. Miniver
Mildred Pierce
Citizen Kane
[Edited by patti on 11-06-2001]

Now With Moveable Parts
patti- Laura is the best. I watched it with my mom for the first time ( her upteenth time, I'm sure) and I was just captivated. There's something about the old mysteries/thrillers, that was so creepy. Movies today just don't capture that mood.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Clerks
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Laura is terrific, i've seen in many times...Vincent Price is someone i like a lot, and it's cool to see him in a drama vs. horror...but he has this femmy edge...it's funny. and if you liked LAURA, (Gene Tierney) you might also like LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN...it's a good one. a friend's mom knew Gene Tierney and told us she went very whacko. hop aboard the gossip train.

And CLERKS! i watched that just the other night because i had never seen it...maybe if i had seen it when i was younger, it would have appealed to me..but it didn't do anything at all for me....barely even a chuckle...i did'nt even finish it to the end and i'm usually compulsive about that sort of thing. but not every movie is for everyone, eh?

Female assassin extraordinaire.
PATTI! thank you! how could i have forgotten -

Mildred Pierce
Stella Dallas

definitely, definitely.

I dunno, I enjoyed Dark Victory, I think it was my first Bette film ever when I was like, 11. So it has sentimental value. What's that one where she's a unibrow spinster who has a transformation, goes away on a cruise and captivates a married man? that's SUCH melodrama but oh so good.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I love Clerks. It's a great movie and it appeals to me only because I work at a video store. So I could releate to Randall's character when he was giving his speech about the stupid questions.

Patti- Have you ever worked at a convenince store, or a video store? I mean if you have ever worked at either place it doesn't matter what your age is...you'll still understand it.

THMILIN, hey, my pleasure...classic B&W's are such a passion for me, and i can watch them over and over...even the not necessarily "critically good" ones. The Bette Davis film you mentioned is NOW, VOYAGER...another great one. i dove into classics about ten or more years ago and fell in love with movie stars like Bette Davis, Joan Fontaine, Ava Gardner, Joan Crawford, Bogart, Clark Gable, and on and on.

i don't have as much to add to current films, here on this forum, but i'm learning about movies i've missed, and really enjoying discussing movies in general. When it comes to the dramas from the 30's and 40's, i'm almost tempted to go up against HOLDEN...but i think he'd whip my butt.

SPDRCR, i've never worked in a convenience store, but i've worked in ...five or six cafe's whereby dealing with some moronic and irritating customers and situations. i DO understand CLERKS, i just wasn't into it. i'm not so much criticizing it. i appreciate it for it's uniqueness and can see how it might have some cult status. but, it just reminds me of stoner films.

Of course, watching Clerks in 1994 is a lot different than watching it in 2001. It was more revolutionary then. Revolutionary is too strong a word, but it was closer to being unique than it is now since many films have been made sort-of in its image since then. The "Slacker" genre hadn't yet taken off when Clerks originally bowed. Seeing it with fresh eyes today, I probably wouldn't have liked it as much. But when I first saw it in 1995, it was a far different kind of film than what I was used to seeing.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by patti

i don't have as much to add to current films, here on this forum, but i'm learning about movies i've missed, and really enjoying discussing movies in general. When it comes to the dramas from the 30's and 40's, i'm almost tempted to go up against HOLDEN...but i think he'd whip my butt.

Don't let Holden intimadate you. Go for it sistah! I think he's harmless...in fact I know he is. We've butted heads a few times and I still like him for some reason...make a thread, girl, and he will come! Stand your ground! Anyhoo... I wish I knew more about movies from that era. Maybe I should test my limits and not rent any new releases untill I've seen at least 50 older titles. What do you think?

God yes, start a thread about 40's and 50's films.
This place needs it...
We need it....
I need it...

Now With Moveable Parts
I don't think patti is on right now...so why don't one of you two do it? Make it and she will come... Hey Bullet...I'm yahooin' right now.

I'll wait for Patti to start one, if she wants. That way she can frame the discussion with what interests her. Movies from the '30s - '50s is much too broad a starting point. Let's see what she's interested in.

Now With Moveable Parts
Hmmm...good answer Pike. Didn't peg you as the gentleman type. Anyhoo...I might just read the thread, get some good movies to rent off of it, but I won't post. I don't know much about the oldies. Want to learn more though