Previews and trailers...How much is too much?

Tools    

Now With Moveable Parts
I'm just curious how you all deal with previews. when I go to the movies...part of the fun is getting there early to see the previews. However, some movies have been spoiled for me by the previews. I've started closing my eyes and plugging my ears during previews that start giving too much away. How do you guys do the preview thang?

I love previews. Of course I can watch the preview for the movie I'm about to watch on dvd and forget the whole thing instantly. I live in the moment

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I could've sworn I've already posted on this thread. Maybe I looked at this, and in a dream I posted. I don't know, but this is weird.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Now With Moveable Parts
You dream posted...Ha! Sounds like me. I have dreams about these greyish boards...there's something hypnotic about them. Maybe something subliminal as well. My best ideas for threads and polls come to me in a half-dream, half- sleeping state...oddness.

I swear to God, I posted a reply to this. I'm gonna search my posts and see. I know I did though.

I found it. It's a thread Sunfrog started. Pretty much the same thing, only reviews instead of trailers.

http://www.movieforums.com/forums/sh...?threadid=1209

Now With Moveable Parts
ah-ha...not the same thing though. Very different. I posted on that too.

Now With Moveable Parts
A review, is a synopsis of a movie followed by an opinion of if it was good or not. A preview is a teaser, doesn't at all claim if it's good or not. It's job is to tease you into seeing it. Totally different SPUD!

You can usually get what you want to know from a trailer...

Or, if you see a TV spot for it, then that is more similar to a review.

Now With Moveable Parts
pthblth......I think you're wrong!

Female assassin extraordinaire.
how do you do that smiley sticking out a tongue thingy?

i loooove previews. i must arrive at least 10 min before a movie so I can get good seats and see them.

however, the last few years, they've been giving away way too much, which sucks.

Now With Moveable Parts
true, true...previews were more fun when they teased you. I hate the one they show on T.V. for Serendipity..." 2 years later..." Goodness...previews have to show you the ' 2 years later' bit for the preview to make sense? That's cra-zay!

Yeah, I agree, Sades...have Mr. Voice say "and then..." or something. That'd be much better. Miriam: try a colon, and a lower-case "p" ;p More smilies coming on the new site, BTW (off-topic...sorry).

Now With Moveable Parts
uh-oh...more anal-ness about getting off topic...I'm gonna have to start smackin' you guys around!

i hate when they show a scene like serendipity, u knew it wouldnt be a sad ending because it showed them kissing. Things like that is why i dont like all the previews.
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

Well some people don't catch on to those sort of things. I mean something that seems real obvious to you...the average joe would be like, oh, I had no idea what would happen.

So to us, trailers/previews/tv spots will give away maybe more than we want to know, but to the rest of the people out there, I don't even think they start spinnin the hamster wheel on matters like this.

Now With Moveable Parts
I'm with M on that one. It showed just too much. I know the whole progression of the movie. I know they meet. She leaves it up to chance by writing in some book."Two years later" He catches up with her...I'm waiting for this to come out on rental. No way I'm spending money on a movie THAT predictable.

Thinking about it...
I'm just curious how you all deal with previews. when I go to the movies...part of the fun is getting there early to see the previews. However, some movies have been spoiled for me by the previews. I've started closing my eyes and plugging my ears during previews that start giving too much away. How do you guys do the preview thang?

This is a really old thread, but I guess the trailers have become
even worse nowadays. They tell you the whole story! I used to love previews and trailers, but today I'm exactly like sadesdrk, acting like a crazy person in the movie theater, singing to myself and shutting my ears and eyes, trying not to understand what's on the screen. I've had bad experiences with movies like "The Next Three Days" and "Salt". I guess the producers and distributors, trying to attract teenagers, concentrate on showing the action scenes and don't mind revealing the plot. I miss the trailers that left us intrigued. Nowadays, I try to avoid them. I'd rather go see a movie knowing nothing about it and regretting it than losing the chance of really experiencing a good movie, with its twists and turns, just like the director intended the story to be told.

I used to love trailers but have gotten wary over the years because they seem to have become too much a product of a business formula. They're too often either misleading or too revealing.

Every now and then I'll see one that gives me excited goosebumps, though.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

My idea is that trailers are only spoilerific if they already adhere to a known formula, so that people can know EXACTLY what their in for. And let's be honestly, these days studio films are already standardized to the degree where you can know EXACTLY what you're in for by the movie poster alone let along clips from the actual film.

Having seen some older previews (60s-70s) for "popular" movies, it seems to me that this is hardly new. If anything it's better these days because there isn't a narrator saying mildly descriptive things over all the story summary.

Some people will just defend it as an "abstract".