The Sexiest Movies...

Tools    

Female assassin extraordinaire.
ash, i don't know you well so I can't tell ... are you serious, or kidding? the winking, i think kidding, but not sure ...

aaaanyway:

i'm sure that is always high on the agenda - it just seems like there are so many more teen beauties than in the past. maybe it's my age that makes it seem that way, but i don't think so.

well ... there were a lot of YOUNG beauties in the past ... not necessarily teens. one point is we're older. the younger girls back then - 13-19, were the copycats. that's the case now ... we're biased cuz we're older and see the error in lookin like a hoochie cuz we think it makes us cool.

back then, as they grew older, too, they copied women closer to their age, and these are the women we mainly remember, very mature, sexy women who were obviously more demure even when turning up the heat (Rita Hayworth, Betty Grable, Lauren Bacall, etc).

however, you and I and most women would want to emulate THOSE examples while today's young women want what turns men on. what turned men on back THEN was another story. a woman with class who seemed unattainable. the 70s brought us Farrah Fawcett and the California Girl. This was the image of attainability - being carefree, full of sunshine, wholesome, seemingly innocent (lookwise), friendly, inviting. Give us the 80s when Madonna runs around sounding like 12 yr old talking about virginity and her grungy look and girls start tattering their tights and hair, too - i skip this era cuz it was ambiguous. girls weren't necessarily more inviting. they behaved so but looked entirely unattractive. now, hit the 90s. sex is "in." it's become trendy. if you aren't frank you're uptight and TRADITIONAL. anti-Rita Hayworth, Bette Davis, etc. It's about the heaving cleavage, Foxy Brown bralessness and lingerie onstage.

the thing is, these chicks from today aren't really teens either. they're in their 20s, like you and I, and some married, even, and having babies, even. they're just playing high schoolers. this happens in most films (remember 80s flicks most recently and yes, it even applies to older films) because you're technically not allowed to have people under 18 making out and losing their virginity and sleeping around amidst booze, music and teen angst in movies. so you get 26 yr olds to do it.

freddie prinze, jr (what the hell kindofa name??), JLH, them folks be adults, just choosing to "act" in younger roles. the problem is I really find them to be a dime a dozen so one over the other doesn't happen for me - like, TWT's preference for JLH might mainly be derived because he saw her in a film he related to and likes perky brunettes with a rack. another guy watching another film would go for that Buffy chick in Cruel Intentions cuz he likes 'em wicked, or Angelina Jolie cuz he saw her in Tomb Raider and liked a heaving chest that packs guns. AJ is in another realm though, but my pt is just that it's relative, circumstantial, and just based on whatever somebody's watching and how the chick takes his fancy. like the blonde chick married to ryan philippe - the one from Legally Blonde. these females are in general, to society anyway, entirely interchangeable. just like men like ryan philippe and freddie. they will not really be remembered in 5 years or more UNLESS they garner critical acclaim with some incredible turn of skill in a quality film or turn themselves into something else - like strong comedians or something. otherwise they'll spend heir lives in tv.

Now With Moveable Parts
I think the only good actress that spurned from the whole Dawson's Creek genre of teen soaps...was Katie Holmes. She is classicly beautiful, and isn't running around flaunting herself to make up for talent. She truly has proved herself to be able to make that leap from the small screen to the silver screen. She stands alone, those others...JLH included...the upcoming Britney Spears, agh, they just get by on their looks.

I agree that Katie Holmes is one of the only talented females of her generation, certainly of those that have come from TV. I can't even tell you all the things I wanted to do to her while watching Wonder Boys. I love Frances McDormand and all, but given the opportunity the Douglas character was given, I'm afraid I would have had to sample that dish, baby on the way or not. Katie has really grown up...and in all the right places, too. But beyond her girl-next-door knockout looks, Wonder Boys and Go really showcase how dynamic and interesting she can be on the big screen as an actress.

Another one I'd keep an eye in is Amanda Peet. Other than her film-stealing work in the tepid The Whole Nine Yards, I don't think she's found a movie to really show what she's capabale of yet. And I don't say she stole The Whole ine Yards just because of her full-frontal nudity in the flick...though that sure didn't hurt (*YOWZA*). Her comic timing in that picture was fantastic. She was decent on that average sitcom, "Jack & Jill", but the rest of the movies she's chosen thus far have been anywhere from below-average to downright-awful (Saving Silverman, Whipped, Body Shots). The first time I noticed her was back in '95 on an episode of "Law & Order" (#116, 'Hot Pursuit'). She did some very good dramatic work in that episode, the kind of thing she hasn't ben asked to do yet in movies. I think she's gorgeous, but I also think she's got some talent too. Time will tell.

Someone young who didn't come from TV is Reese Witherspoon, and she is undoubtably ultra-talented, as well as very attractive. She's had more opportunites than Holmes at this point to show her range, and she hasn't disappointed yet. She's picked a few dumb Teen-type movies to be in, like Cruel Intentions, Fear and Legally Blonde, but even though they're lightweight flicks, she always comes off well. And when she's attached to good material, as in Election, Freeway, Pleasantville and early on The Man in the Moon, she's very good.

Unfortunately Hollywood doesn't create many good, strong female roles, and even fewer for the18-27 set. For example, Election and Freeway were excellent films, but when Witherspoon moves toward the mainstream she gets offers for forgettable fluff like Legally Blonde or a potboiler like Cruel Intentions. I can only hope the boxoffixce successes of such tripe give her a little more clout to make something with more substance. Oh, well. Hopefully the better filmmakers will find spots for the good actors - young & beautiful or not, in high-quality projects.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Now With Moveable Parts
I second all those actresses. Furthering the discussion of Holmes, her work in the Gift, although a small part, was extremely solid. I really enjoy her, not like Holden enjoys her though.

Amanda Peet's performance in the Whole Nine Yards, was great. I could have done without the nudie stuff, but it was part of the story, and props to her for being so brave and randy about it. Quoting Seinfeld, " There's good naked, and bad naked." Peet's naked was borderline bad.

Witherspoon has been a favorite of mine ever scince Freeway. My parents rented that one, I had never heard of it. She was exceptional! A role like that had to have a balance of innoscence and insanity, and she played it to the hilt. She's just a wonderfully talented actress. Period.

It does seem to be difficult for women my age to get meaty roles in substantial movies. Kirsten Dunst has had her hits and misses, more hits than not. I liked Virgin Suicides. She definately has that potential. I guess it's all about holding out for those great roles, instead of settling for the trash. It has to have something with choices. I guess even movie stars have to pay the bills, and if something isn't coming along...I guess you end up with, Bring it On.

Bingo...Witherspoon is, as Holden so perfectly stated, ultra-talented. Mainstream and popular, while talented too...she appeals to everyone, it seems. She's quite pretty, but not supermodelish (ya'll know what I mean). Very appealing in virtually every way. She's not (forgive the blunt wording) a slut, either, like so many of her peers. She's married with a child...she seems like such a wonderfully talented and responsible person...I admire her quite a bit.

I'm a pretty big Dunst fan, too. She, very gracefully, made the transition from child to adult actor. I think she's still, technically, a teen, but her roles are not limited because of her age at this point...she's past that. Quite funny, too.

Now With Moveable Parts
Witherspoon sold me in Cruel Intentions, when she was making those devilish faces at Phillipe in the car. I thought to myself...I love her! I love actresses that can make me laugh. I thinks that's huge. There's not many actresses out there that are very well rounded. My favorites are women that are funny, sexy, easy to relate to, passionate and complex...there's not many of them, to be sure.

Originally posted by TWTCommish
She's not (forgive the blunt wording) a slut, either, like so many of her peers.
Who else is a slut?

I'd say JLH is, if not a slut, heading in that direction. She'd better turn it around quick. Also, when I referred to her peers, I basically meant other famous young women, so I'd list Britney Spears here as well. Especially considering Spears has a movie coming out anyway. Jolie, I dunno...I wouldn't call her a slut, but she is kind of freaky. I get the impression she'd do just about anything, on-screen or off.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
You can't say she is a slut, unless you know her personally, and know her sexual habits!!

Originally posted by OG-
You can't say she is a slut, unless you know her personally, and know her sexual habits!!
Yeah, yeah...you're just hot for her. Anyway, with Jolie, she's not too shy about her sexual habits. Disturbingly public, even.

Originally posted by OG-
Still doesn't make either a slut.
Yeah yeah. Your judgement is clouded by Mr. Happy...nothing to be ashamed of...well, yeah it is, but it's common, so don't sweat it. Sometimes I want to believe so badly that JLH (or someone similar) is a chaste person who I'd be proud to introduce to mom, but then I snap out of it. Eye candy...not wife material.

Ya know, that's another thing: I find that I tend to think of some celebrities as the type that you could marry, and others, as the type you could not. As attractive as JLH and Jolie are, I don't think I'd enjoy being married to them. On the other hand, I imagine people like Reese Witherspoon, or Drew Barrymore, and easy to get along with. Yeah, I know, I'm THIS close to a restraining order. Sorry.

How in the world does it make her a slut?! You can not say a person is a slut unless you know their sexual habits, and you don't so you can't say that. Anything you've heard is a rumor unless she confirmed it herself, and just because she dresses rather scantly doesn't make her a slut.

Alright, she's a floozie. Happy? Anyway, I hate it when she talks about "expressing herself sexually," or some other such nonsense. Gimme a break: it sells albums, and your hormones are raging. Just admit it...I'll have a lot more respect for her if she does.

It has nothing to do with hormones or "Mr. Happy." It has more to do with the non-evidence you've presented to "prove" she is a slut (I'm talking about JLH).

You said Witherspoon was not a slut, unlike "so many of her peers." Yet the first person you mentioned was JLH, who you admitted was NOT a slut (at least not yet). Then you proceed to talk about Jolie, who again, you admitted was NOT a slut (but she IS freaky, apparently). No sluts so far.

As for Britney Spears, I don't even consider her one of Witherspoon's peers (I thought we were talking about actresses here). Even so, your "evidence" that she is a slut (or "floozie", which is a synonym, BTW) is that she talks about "expressing herself sexually." This does not necessarily make her a slut (she could just be making empty boasts). And even if it does, that's only ONE of Witherspoon's peers.

Now With Moveable Parts
By technical definition according to Sades Handbook for Definitions and Mis-Spellings, slut means, a female or male individual, that turn tricks for cash prizes.

Now, the previously mentioned women, are not sluts. They do, however, portray somewhat, loose behavior. Including Mrs. Billy Bob...she's made it very public, that her and the Mr. get things on in not such a typical way. So, you are what you eat.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
sades! how dare you put such a provocative turn of phrase? it's taking all my willpower not to make a perverted comment.

must ... restrain ... self ...

Originally posted by sadesdrk
So, you are what you eat.
If the joke i got from that was intended, then , if not then nevermind!

Now With Moveable Parts
I fully meant every implication.

Holy crap Arthur, now you're trying to chastise me for a mild exaggeration? Get a hobby...collecting stamps, even, would be better than this.

You are right, Your Honor, I, as the Plaintiff's Attorney, have failed to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the Defendent, Jennifer Love Hewitt, is indeed defined as a "slut." I suppose the case will be dismissed, and a countersuit for defamation of character will likely be filed.

Oh, FYI: they are not interchangable words at all. The latter (floozie) is defined as "A woman regarded as tawdry or sexually promiscuous." Tawdry can either mean shameful, indecent, or cheap. Therefore my statement stands. Technically a slut can also be defined as a slovenly woman...so if you wanna get really technical, I'd say my comments were fairly appropriate.

Anyway, these are mostly used in slang...as I was. When I say slut, I'm sure you know exactly what I mean. If you want to play the technical game, I'll do that too, but I'm kosher either way.

Oh, and Britney Spears has a movie coming out. I also stated, SPECIFICALLY, that when I said peers, I basically meant other famous young women...mainly because they all have the same option regardless of acting or singing, of exposing themselves to gain attention. Happy, Professor Dent?