So where are we all from?

Tools    

I see you just joined, welcome to MoFo It seems to me there was a well known TV show from the 70s-80s set in Saint Louis, but I can't recall it right now.
Okay, "well known" may be a sliding scale, but are you talking about

The Baxters (Norman Lear production)

or the more likely

The John Larroquette Show
?

Thanks TJ, but it wasn't one of those that I was thinking of. I might have another town mixed up in my mind, it happens to me all the time
No need to be arch about it.....

See? St. Louis? Arch?

I KILL ME!!!!

Where am I? You sure you want to know? The story of my address is not for the faint of heart. If somebody told you it was a happy tale, if somebody said I was just your average guy, not a care in the world... somebody lied. But let me assure you, this, like any other story worth telling, is all about a girl....

I spent the first 30 years of my life in upstate NY. Syracuse and Albany. "Real" upstate - not that Westchester / Rockland nonsense that everybody from NYC thinks of when they say "upstate". The land of lake effect snowstorms. The transition zone between the East Coast and the Midwest. Then, just before the millenium, I met a girl through the magic of this crazy new thing known as the World Wide Web. She lived in Gotham, though, so there was no way it would get too serious. She couldn't pronounce the letter "R" well enough to leave the city, and there was no way - NO WAY - I was moving there.

Anyway, in the Summer of 2001, I moved down there. Somehow, that's maintained for the nearly 16 years since. So, at some point, I'll have to admit this is home. Queens, NY. Home of Peter Parker. Which brings us full circle to explaining why I chose to open with the paraphrased first paragraph.

Where am I? You sure you want to know? The story of my address is not for the faint of heart. If somebody told you it was a happy tale, if somebody said I was just your average guy, not a care in the world... somebody lied. But let me assure you, this, like any other story worth telling, is all about a girl....

I spent the first 30 years of my life in upstate NY. Syracuse and Albany. "Real" upstate - not that Westchester / Rockland nonsense that everybody from NYC thinks of when they say "upstate". The land of lake effect snowstorms. The transition zone between the East Coast and the Midwest. Then, just before the millenium, I met a girl through the magic of this crazy new thing known as the World Wide Web. She lived in Gotham, though, so there was no way it would get too serious. She couldn't pronounce the letter "R" well enough to leave the city, and there was no way - NO WAY - I was moving there.

Anyway, in the Summer of 2001, I moved down there. Somehow, that's maintained for the nearly 16 years since. So, at some point, I'll have to admit this is home. Queens, NY. Home of Peter Parker. Which brings us full circle to explaining why I chose to open with the paraphrased first paragraph.
You're from the home of the "garbage plate" diner meals? JEALOUS!

You're from the home of the "garbage plate" diner meals? JEALOUS!
The nearly 20 years we've spent together has still not brought my wife to a place where she can react to any of my family's attempts at generating "ethnic" cuisine without visible disgust.

Of course, considering that buildings started toppling within a month of my arrival as a NYC resident, it's quite possible that fate never really intended this thing we have to last.

You know Lockport?

You know Lockport?
I know of it, but never been. That's further west than I generally go. I have family scattered between Rochester and Albany, so anything west of that is basically Ohio to me.

I know of it, but never been. That's further west than I generally go. I have family scattered between Rochester and Albany, so anything west of that is basically Ohio to me.
That's where I'm from originally, and most of my family still lives. I worked at a camp outside of Rochester all through High School. I married a LI girl but we lived in Suffolk county. Lived there a few years before coming back down south. Your upstate comment cracked me up. She always said I wasn't a real NY because I lived upstate. I told her real NY-er would scoff at a Suffolk county girl calling herself a real NY-er.

South England, East Sussex 17 years
South Wales, Valleys 10 years
North England, Lancs 6 years

Out of Liverpool, England.
Been in the States since 1968.
Spent the last 22 years deep in the heart of Texas.

Legend in my own mind
South England, East Sussex 17 years
South Wales, Valleys 10 years
North England, Lancs 6 years
Where in Lancs are you? I live in Cumbria but work in Lancaster

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Cool. My sister lived in Holland. She loved it and was so angry when her husband said they were selling up and coming back here.

Durham, England.

But now I go to uni in the middle of nowhere in Staffordshire and alternate between the two.
Staffordshire?! I love your terriers!

Staffordshire?! I love your terriers!
Give over, every ****ing town in Britain is infested with these mutts and their three stripe trackie wearing scowling owners... dogs homes are getting swamped with them, I'm sick of hearing about it and want to see more collies, a real ****ing dog but then I guess they don't look too intimidating for your chav rubbish.

Born in St. Paul, Minnesota, but have lived in Utah since age three (long enough to pick up the accent, sorry to say). Family has all fled to surrounding states.

Give over, every ****ing town in Britain is infested with these mutts and their three stripe trackie wearing scowling owners... dogs homes are getting swamped with them, I'm sick of hearing about it and want to see more collies, a real ****ing dog but then I guess they don't look too intimidating for your chav rubbish.
Sorry to hear it -- sounds a pity there aren't shelters to relinquish some owners as well.

Sorry to hear it -- sounds a pity there aren't shelters to relinquish some owners as well.
True ... sorry, my post wasn't aimed at you, it's just a sore point. I haven't nothing against any animal but they are ****ing climbing the walls in dogs homes and chavs are breeding, breeding, breeding, there are so many other beautiful breeds, I can't remember the last time I saw a border collie or golden retriever but I see about 20 these things every day!