2015 MoFo Challenges

Tools    

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I hated leaving off Breakfast at Tiffany's and Funny Girl so I might do a rotation every week or so. Only the last movie, though. I'll leave the rest.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I hated leaving off Breakfast at Tiffany's and Funny Girl so I might do a rotation every week or so. Only the last movie, though. I'll leave the rest.

Breakfast at Tiffany's is another great movie. I haven't seen Funny Girl, but I probably should. It sounds like my kind of movie.

I challenge Miss Vicky and honeykid to try out Game of Thrones, even if it's only a couple of episodes. I know you're both hesitant because of it being fantasy but actually that only plays really quite a small part in the show. Vicky in particular could/should like it; it's mainly about sex and perversion. If there was just a cat or two in there it would probably be your favourite show ever.

In exchange I'll agree to watch (and if possible review) say, 2 or 3 films of your choosing. That's 2 or 3 each, not 2 or 3 you both agree on.
Challenge accepted. As you know the first three are on tonight, so I'm set to record.

Somebody give me an ambitious, yet somewhat vague and flexible challenge for next year.
I'll add you to the HK 100 challenge.

I've been trying to think of what to write there since the day I signed up here, but I just haven't figured out what to write.

You know how everyone has two sides to their brain, the logical side and the imagination side? Well, I think I have two logical sides. When I was a kid, my teacher gave everyone a blank piece of paper and a box of crayons, and told us that we could draw anything we wanted to draw. An hour later, I was still staring at a blank piece of paper because I couldn't figure out what to draw.

I'm open to suggestions.
Write "This'll do until I think of something better"

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I challenge Daniel M to open a preliminary 60s thread once the animation countdown is over, and to lead an insanely great countdown for it.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Somebody give me an ambitious, yet somewhat vague and flexible challenge for next year.
Climb the 10 highest mountains in the world.

I can decrease it to five films per list if you want. I understand you have other movies to watch.
Well I'll see how it goes. Out of interest does it have to be 49 unique films? Or if there's one film that covers a number of lists can it count for all of them? If I watched Gone With the Wind for example would it count as one film ticked off for the 100 Movies list, the 100 Passions list, 100 Cheers list and Ebert's Great Movies list?

You don't seem too impressed with my efforts. But I think you'll find I fulfilled your criteria to the letter. I wrote about a film that I really liked (and Bowfinger is such a film) and did so in "200 words or fewer". I think you'll find 3 words is fewer than 200. There's not a court in the land that would rule against me!

But alright here's something perhaps more in the spirit of what you meant. And boy was it tough. I thought I'd kept it very short but still had to cut it down to fit your guidelines. And it came in at exactly 200 words.

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
Frank Oz

Starring
Steve Martin
Eddie Murphy
Heather Graham
Christine Baranski
Terence Stamp

Bowfinger

One of the most under-rated comedies around in my opinion, certainly of the 90s. Working from a terrific concept it's a very funny and witty film that both skewers the craziness of Hollywood but also acts as a love letter to film-making. Steve Martin's character is actually rather reminiscent of the infamous Ed Wood; low on talent but high on passion, all he wants to do is make movies, something I'm sure many of us on here can relate to. Murphy and Martin are both on top form and it's got a great supporting cast too, with the always wonderful Christine Baranski and a sexy-as-hell Heather Graham being real stand-outs. As much fun as it is there's also something rather sad about watching Bowfinger now. Murphy and Martin were two comedy icons through the 70s and 80s, just absolute legends. And yet this film, now 15 years old, remains pretty much the last funny film either of them made. Where did it all go wrong guys?

Oh and there also seems to be a real piss-take of Scientology which I never got before (mostly as I was unaware of it at the time I guess) that is very funny.

TBF, neither of them had made a funny film for a good while before, either, so if you're looking for where it all went wrong, you'll need to look pre-Bowfinger.

Individual Challenges

The Gunslinger45 - I challenge you to post at least 8 reviews in your reviews thread. In the 10 Ring: Gunslinger45's Reviews has been dormant for way too long.

Godoggo - With your increasing artistic talent I challenge you to draw one of your fellow MoFos using a photo in the Personal Pictures Thread as your source.

Yoda - I challenge you to go old school and write a movie review, just one will do. It's been like two and a half years since your last review. Come back into the fold.

Daniel M - I challenge you to watch Guardians of the Galaxy. Let's see if Mr Art House Mafia Jr. can still enjoy a film whose only purpose is to be fun.

Forum Wide Challenges

An open challenge to everyone to post a photo of themselves in the Personal Pictures Thread in which they are made up in some way to resemble a character from a movie or TV show, either through a costume of some kind or if it's very good just through hairstyle/facial hair. This challenge will run all year with anyone able to accomplish it getting a point/credit/accolade/mention/award (whatever the hell we get for it)

An open challenge for someone to write an official jingle for MovieForums and to then use vocaroo (or something similar) to record it so we can all hear.

An open challenge for someone to get a film-related celebrity (actor or director) to endorse MovieForums. This can take the form of a photo with the celeb holding up a message or a video with them saying something about MovieForums. Or anything else you can think of.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I challenge Mark to get a MoFo tattoo.

I challenge Yoda to come up with MoFo tee-shirts that he can sell to us.
I don't like tattoos, so I suppose I'll lose that. I do have a Movie Forums sticker on my mail box though.
Here.

Individual Challenges

Daniel M - I challenge you to watch Guardians of the Galaxy. Let's see if Mr Art House Mafia Jr. can still enjoy a film whose only purpose is to be fun.
Sure, I know a few mates of mine enjoy it, and I don't exactly dislike any Marvel films really, so I will do. I plan to watch Captain America: The Winter Soldier at some point too

Forum Wide Challenges

An open challenge to everyone to post a photo of themselves in the Personal Pictures Thread in which they are made up in some way to resemble a character from a movie or TV show, either through a costume of some kind or if it's very good just through hairstyle/facial hair. This challenge will run all year with anyone able to accomplish it getting a point/credit/accolade/mention/award (whatever the hell we get for it)
Might try this if I come up with a good idea

An open challenge for someone to get a film-related celebrity (actor or director) to endorse MovieForums. This can take the form of a photo with the celeb holding up a message or a video with them saying something about MovieForums. Or anything else you can think of.
Sexy got Rex Reed the film critic to reply to a letter or email (can't remember) where he said he had read his reviews

Sexy got Rex Reed the film critic to reply to a letter or email (can't remember) where he said he had read his reviews
E-mail. Last year. It's in my review thread somewhere. I e-mailed Rex Reed supporting him after the whole Melissa McCarthy thing (he wrote a review for Identity Thief calling her a "hippo") and told him I wrote reviews for this site. He wrote back telling me my reviews were funny. So he did come to the site and check it out.

I once asked an actor I know (I'm not saying who) if he'd join the site and do a commentary for the movie he acted in, but he didn't want to.

I challenge Daniel M to be working on a movie by the end of the year. It can be the one you showed me or a different one. Either way, go for it, brother!

i challenge JayDee to watch 3 Jean-luc Godard films and write reviews for at least two.
No promises but I'll add it to the list. However outside of honeykid and Miss Vicky (who I already offered the chance to challenge me) can I call a moratorium for the moment on individual film challenges to me. I've already got Inland Empire, My Life as a Dog, Friendly Mushroom's epic challenge and now the Godard films. And as I said a whole lot of my time just now is dedicated to rewatching films to try and sort out my new favourite films list. If I'm doing well with the challenges at some point I'll open it back up

Sure, I know a few mates of mine enjoy it, and I don't exactly dislike any Marvel films really, so I will do. I plan to watch Captain America: The Winter Soldier at some point too
I was going to suggest Winter Soldier because that was actually my favourite comic book flick of the year but it's more bedded into the Marvel Cinematic Universe and I didn't know how many you'd seen or where you were at with it. Guardians of the Galaxy however can be seen just as a stand-alone film that doesn't really link to any of the previous films

Forum Wide Challenges

Here are a couple of boring movie watching challenges for everyone. The purpose is to help people (and that most certainly includes me) expand their movie watching variety.

1. Watch a film from at least 7 different countries. For the purpose of this challenge let's classify the UK and Ireland as one country, and lump the US and Canada together as one country of North America. So for example if you watch films from USA, Canada, England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland you've not ticked off 6 countries but just 2.

2. Watch a film from each decade between the 1930s and the 2010s. So that's a film from 9 separate decades.

Oh and here's an extra challenge which is just a silly little bit of fun.

3. Complete the alphabet in terms of films you watch. Taking the first letter of each film try and tick off all 26 letters of the alphabet. If people want to complete this one I imagine we'll be getting a lot of viewings of Quiz Show and Quills.

Forum Wide Challenges

How about a couple of additions to this challenge. Bonus points available for not just looking like a character but for recreating a particular moment or scene from the film/TV show they're part of. Bonus points also for getting other individuals to join you in the challenge. Oh and how about bonus points if the character you're replicating is of the opposite sex. Hell I think this thing should have a thread of its own

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Forum Wide Challenges

Here are a couple of boring movie watching challenges for everyone. The purpose is to help people (and that most certainly includes me) expand their movie watching variety.

1. Watch a film from at least 7 different countries. For the purpose of this challenge let's classify the UK and Ireland as one country, and lump the US and Canada together as one country of North America. So for example if you watch films from USA, Canada, England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland you've not ticked off 6 countries but just 2.

2. Watch a film from each decade between the 1930s and the 2010s. So that's a film from 9 separate decades.

Oh and here's an extra challenge which is just a silly little bit of fun.

3. Complete the alphabet in terms of films you watch. Taking the first letter of each film try and tick off all 26 letters of the alphabet. If people want to complete this one I imagine we'll be getting a lot of viewings of Quiz Show and Quills.
Your good at coming up with these challenges.

For Q people can watch Queer Duck the Movie. It's pretty cute. I want to do the alphabet challenge. Should they be movies we haven't seen? If so, I'm going to need more suggestions for Q.