This has been baffling me lately but how come is it that there have only been two female performers that have won Best Supporting Actress Oscars multiple times while all of the other categories have a ton of multi-time winners.

Ten Best Actors

Fourteen Best Actresses

Eight Best Supporting Actors

Two Best Supporting Actresses

Those two actresses were Shelley Winters(Diary of Anne Frank and Patch of Blue) and Dianne Wiest(Hannah and Her Sisters and Bullets Over Broadway which were both directed by Woody Allen). I have seen BOB last Thurday and thought it was a really fun movie. Dianne Wiest was so exceptionally charismatic in that one to the point where even the protagonist(John Cusack) feels that way about her.

However, there are still more people who have won both lead and supporting roles for the actress category than the actor one. Six for Actors and seven for Actresses. Actresses included Hayes, Bergman, Smith, Lange, Blanchett, Streep, and Zellweger. Actors included Lemmon, De Niro, Nicholson, Hackman, Spacey, and Washington.

Still, how is it that there has never been anyone else other than Winters and Wiest who have won Oscars for Supporting Actress roles more than once? It baffles me.