Nominate the Great 'Could Have Been' actors/actresses of all time!

Tools    

Ahh, in this catagory,
we are going to look at those who 'could have been' good and maybe possibly great, if they hadn't either picked the crappiest roles avaliable or disappeared altogether!

In the words of Terry Malloy
(Marlon Brando -'On The Waterfront)

"I could've been a contender......"

but instead, they seemed to have opted to be one shot wonders!

Here I start:

Christoper Lambert,
(who was great in'Subway'- Luc Besson but has not been in anything half decent since HighlanderI)

Dennis Quaid,
(despite his recent showings in 'Any Given Sunday' & 'Frequency' he really could have done so much more since 'Inner Space' or is that the price you pay for being with Meg Ryan? A tough choice for any guy,I suppose?)

Michael Madsen,
(Did it all end after the immortal Mr. Blonde in 'Reservoir Dogs'? or was he really a 'one shot wonder'? )

your thoughts please.............

How about Tupac Shakur. Could have been an excellent actor.

That Janet Jackson movie I can't remember the title. Oh it's Poetic Justice I think.
Juice
Above the Rim
Gang Related

MovieForums Extra
I'd definitely say James Dean falls in that cateogry! If he hadn't been killed in the car accident we would have surely had a great career!

1. Bruce Campbell

I wonder why Bruce hasn’t been picked up for more high dollar roles. He’s witty, funny, strong, and handsome. He has all the characteristics of a great leading man, yet he’s still not there. If I were a casting director, I would defiantly be looking into his schedule.

2. Patrick Swayze

I know that he had his day in the sun, but that day ended. Maybe not the most gifted actor in the world, but a whole lot better than many that youth seem to worship nowadays for their looks. I could see Patrick taking on roles that could push his dramatic skills to the limit, and excelling.

3. Larry Miller

Mainly used for bit parts in comedy vehicles for sub par stars, Larry is exasperatingly misused. In two episodes for Law & Order, Larry proves his dramatic chops playing an excruciatingly despicable wife murderer. He should be more widely used in dramatic films, but I doubt he will ever get his due.

4. Tom Arnold

Tom is another actor that can certainly take over any movie by just being himself, but he is only used to play the silly sidekick. Given the chance to star in more serious movies that might garner a descent size audience, Tom could prove that he is worth his weight in gold.

5. Matthew Modine

Why is this man only getting jobs in little known films? He has proven time and time again what an exceptionally gifted man he is, but still…only minor parts or crap. He has had his chance to show his meddle, and succeeded, but he never got the credit he deserved. I wish to see him as the star in a popular movie.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Louis Gossett Jr.; backs up his performance in An Officer And A Gentlemen with Jaws 3-D.

Sylvester Stallone; made a lot of money being in forgetable action-adventure movies.

His acting has gone downhill since Rocky.

JAMES DEAN

Stuck in the middle with you.
Originally Posted by ;4863

Michael Madsen,
(Did it all end after the immortal Mr. Blonde in 'Reservoir Dogs'? or was he really a 'one shot wonder'? )

He was good in Kill Bill. Rent The Getaway he was very good in that.

i'm going to have to very seriously disagree with christopher lambert. my boyfriend has an obsession with him and I've seen.. 15 of his movies. Yes, 15. Did you know 15 existed? hahaha
Every single one was terrible.. and he did not help. He is a terrible actor. Oh man. 10 out of 15 were torture.

Phil Hartman.
I loved Phil and thought he was extremely talented and funny. Due to SNL I think he kept getting comedy but I always felt with more time and great role and he would have been seen for the talent he was. He is one of the few actors I really miss seeing and still think America lost a great potential actor too soon.

I think these guys I'll mention are all good actors, but none of them became the big stars they might have been...

STEPHEN DORFF

He started his career as a child actor in TV movies and guest spots on series television, but when he was cast in John Avildsen's adaptation of Bryce Courtenay's The Power of One (1992) at the age of nineteen, it was clear he had the stuff to be more than just a mannered kiddie actor. He was handsome and could play intensity without going over-the-top. Over the next couple years as he aged he looked like he might be the next Johnny Depp. He was solid in the silly yet engaging urban paranoid thriller Judgment Night (1993) and fantastic as Stuart Sutcliffe in Backbeat (1994), the young man who dropped out of The Beatles just before they hit it big after Hamburg. He earned his indie cred when he starred in S.F.W. - So Fu*king What (1994) with moviestar-to-be Reese Witherspoon and with his supporting role as Candy Darling in I Shot Andy Warhol (1996) headlined by indie superstar Lili Taylor.

Now in his mid twenties he was truly poised to break through, and he had a couple promising projects that might have done it for him...but didn't. He's great along side living legends Jack Nicholson and Michael Caine in Bob Rafelson's Blood & Wine (1996). The movie also stars the always great Judy Davis, the scene stealing Harold Perrineau and a young up and coming actress named Jennifer Lopez. It's a well-made movie and Dorff gives his best performance yet, but it fizzles at the box office and fails to garner any major awards. City of Industry (1997) stars Harvey Keitel, Dorff and Timothy Hutton, and while it's definitely at the tail end of the Tarantino indie crime boom, it's a good flick, if far from original, and its failure is yet another missed opportunity for Stephen Dorff's ascendancy to true movie stardom.

So he tries to do something with a little box office potential, and as Deacon Frost the villain in the first Blade (1998) he has fun hamming it up. But while the flick is successful enough to spawn two sequels it fails to catapult Dorff to the A-list. Around this time he must have come to peace with the fact that while he was going to be a working actor he'd never be a bankable star in the Studio's eyes, so in 2000 he has a blast starring as Cecil B. Demented for John Waters.

I think he had potential to have a career like Depp or Christian Bale, but most of this new century has been stuck in paycheck-collectors like the dull would-be thriller Cold Creek Manor and a Uwe Boll sh!tfest (redundancy!) Alone in the Dark. But maybe, just maybe, he still has a slim chance of redemption? He did have a small role in Oliver Stone's World Trade Center (2006) and he's appearing in Michael Mann's upcoming '30s Gangster piece Public Enemies with Johnny Depp as John Dillinger and Christian Bale as Melvin Purvis. But when I go back and watch Backbeat, Blood & Wine and City of Industry, I can't help but wonder why he didn't make it bigger.

More later.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

What Seems To Be Your Boggle?
Ted Levine

Spent a year or two on Crime Story and never really shone, big break came obviously with Silences Of The Lambs, which i thought he was as good as any other person in the film, apart from Anthony Hopkins, From that he got the lead role in the woeful Mangler, same year he got a bit part in Heat. From there on he has just been used in bit part roles, Evolution, Flubber, Wild Wild West, Hills Have Eyes etc. He was even uncredited in Joyride/Roadkill. Hes one of my favorite actors so i may be biased but i fell hes a talented actor.

J.T Walsh

Another actor i rated highly, he never seemed to get credited much and seemed to be easily forgettable to people, i often say to people J.T Walsh and they have no idea who he is, but he always had decent parts in films, normally as villains like in Breakdown or as ******** like in Good Morning Vietnam, someone who i thought was highly talented, maybe he would of gone onto bigger things if he hadn't of died but going by his films before his death like The Negotiator and Pleasantville where he had smallish roles then i wouldn't of held hope.

Another off the top of my head would be Tony Shalhoub, was brilliant in The Siege yet got bit parts through most of his career apart from 13 Ghosts.

Ted Levine

Spent a year or two on Crime Story and never really shone, big break came obviously with Silences Of The Lambs, which i thought he was as good as any other person in the film, apart from Anthony Hopkins, From that he got the lead role in the woeful Mangler, same year he got a bit part in Heat. From there on he has just been used in bit part roles, Evolution, Flubber, Wild Wild West, Hills Have Eyes etc. He was even uncredited in Joyride/Roadkill. Hes one of my favorite actors so i may be biased but i fell hes a talented actor.

Another off the top of my head would be Tony Shalhoub, was brilliant in The Siege yet got bit parts through most of his career apart from 13 Ghosts.

Ummm, you do know that both Shalhoub and Levine have had a great television gig together for the past six years, yeah? "Monk" has been a huge hit on cable TV. Shalhoub has been nominated for five Emmys thus for for his portrayal of obsessive-compulsive former detective Adrien Monk, winning Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series three times already, as well as four Golden Globe noms and a win there. You also didn't mention Tony's greatest successes in film, which have not come in mainstream crap like The Siege and Thirteen frippin' Ghosts but in the independent world such as his brilliant turn with friend Stanley Tucci in Big Night. And he was hysterical in the very mainstream Galaxy Quest and Men in Black. So I'm not sure why you think he isn't getting his due.

What Seems To Be Your Boggle?
I was talking about their film careers mainly, i mentioned Crime Story with Levine but thats it, im aware of Monk and its success and i think it is a great show. I just find it disappointing you only see them in small roles in films, as for mainstream crap, thats comes down to personal opinion, you say The Siege is mainstream crap then say he is hysterical in Galaxy Quest. I didn't mention Galaxy Quest because i thought it was a pretty poor film, you got me on Men in Black tho i did forget that so well done, but he still only had small parts in it. The Siege crap or not, i didn't say the film was good, i said he was brilliant in it, nit picking from you at its best, it comes down to personal opinion here i think, be it Big Night or The Siege, hes still a great actor.

Im aware of his success on TV shows and its nice hes getting credit but its in films i find it annoying when you don't see him get better parts. Comes across your a fan of his work so you must agree it would be nice to see him in bigger roles in films.

Movie Forums Member
Robert downey Jr. could have played more leading rolls if he didn't stuggle with his drug issues

Originally Posted by ;4863
Ahh, in this catagory,
we are going to look at those who 'could have been' good and maybe possibly great, if they hadn't either picked the crappiest roles avaliable or disappeared altogether!

In the words of Terry Malloy
(Marlon Brando -'On The Waterfront)

"I could've been a contender......"

but instead, they seemed to have opted to be one shot wonders!

Here I start:

Christoper Lambert,
(who was great in'Subway'- Luc Besson but has not been in anything half decent since HighlanderI)

Dennis Quaid,
(despite his recent showings in 'Any Given Sunday' & 'Frequency' he really could have done so much more since 'Inner Space' or is that the price you pay for being with Meg Ryan? A tough choice for any guy,I suppose?)

Michael Madsen,

Yeah, Dennis Quade made a good showing early one but then faded away. Same thing with Costner, who made some really bad movie choices.

Eliza Dushku would be great.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Robert downey Jr. could have played more leading rolls if he didn't stuggle with his drug issues
Robert Downey Jr. is in the middle of a serious comeback, really. Iron Man certainly saw to that, and his next film, Tropic Thunder with Ben Stiller and Jack Black should continue it.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Emilio Estevez - I thought he was great in Young Guns, I dunno he had something special about him. And of course he was good in The Breakfast Club.

TREAT WILLIAMS

Treat's movie career started in the late 1970s and at the time he seemed poised to be a good looking character actor who just might break through to become a movie star. He was fantastic hamming it up as the heavy in Steven Spielberg's infamous flop 1941 (1979) and that same year steals Milos Forman's earnest but belated adaptation of Hair (1979), singing and dancing and smiling his way through the movie's best moments. He was rewarded with two starring roles in 1981: as the enigmatic thief in The Pursuit of D.B. Cooper with Robert Duvall and more importantly in Sidney Lumet's latest corrupt cop saga Prince of the City. Despite Treat's charms, D.B. Cooper is a dull mess of a flick that misses the opportunity to have fun with the great unsolved 1971 robbery. And while Prince of the City is typical Lumet class all around, for whatever the reasons (perhaps the nearly three-hour running time put people off or that it didn't have a star like Pacino in the lead?) it doesn't connect with the audience at the time and is all but ignored come Oscar season.

Sometimes you only seem to get one shot with the Studio brass, and it would appear the box office failure of those two movies in the same year may have done it to Treat. He's actually quite good as the boxing legend Jack Dempsey in the made-for-TV biopic "Dempsey" (1983) and I like him a lot in support of Leone's epic Once Upon a Time in America (1984). But doing well in a TV movie doesn't generally make a Studio rush to star you in an expensive theatrical property - they figure you've found your level. And Leone's film is notoriously butchered for its initial U.S. release and even when properly screened divides critics and never comes close to a mainstream audience. He's fine again though facing the impossible task of removing the indelible impression of Brando in an ABC TV production of "A Streetcar Named Desire" with Ann-Margret as Blanche and Beverly D'Angelo as Stella, but again nothing that is going to get him on the Studio's A-list.

In 1985 Treat Williams gets the film role of his life in Smooth Talk, adapted from a Joyce Carol Oates story, with Laura Dern as a teenage girl coming to terms with her own sexuality. It's a subtle, literate, well-acted, interesting piece with an unconventional ending. But while it gets good notices at the Toronto Film Festival, this pre-dates the independent film movement getting decent distribution in the early 1990s and is unceremoniously released in the U.S. on a couple screens in February of 1986 and quickly disappears, despite champions such as Roger Ebert.

That was really Treat's last, best shot at becoming any sort of movie star. He continued to get good, steady work in television and in 1988 decides to take one last leap at the mainstream in what was never designed to be a prestige project but hopefully a boxoffice genre smash. The movie is Dead Heat (1988), a mishmash comedy/action/buddy-cop/zombie movie where Treat and the already floundering "SNL" alum Joe Piscopo star as two big city cops who get killed but come back as zombies to fight undead baddies. I'm sure the pitch of Beverly Hills Cop meets Dawn of the Dead sounded good to some cocaine-addled producer at some point, but the resulting movie is unwatchably embarrassing: it ain't funny, it ain't scary, it ain't fun. It is a critical and financial disaster, and Treat's hopes for movie stardom were officially dead...not to be resurrected.

He's had a nice second half of his career as a character actor usually in supporting roles, my favorite by far being superagent Michael Ovitz in the well-made HBO movie "The Late Shift" detailing the behind-the-scenes chaos of NBC's Leno/Letterman decision after Johnny Carson's retirement. He'll still headline a straight-to-video level genre hunk of junk now and again, such as the monster on a boat flick Deep Rising (1998), the made-for-cable sequels The Substitute 2 and 3 (1998 & 1999) and the USA Networks cheap-o take on Journey to the Center of the Earth (1999), but usually when you see him in a movie now it's a small supporting part. And thank goodness for television. He spent four seasons as the star of the overly earnest WB drama "Everwood" (2002-2006), which did land him two Screen Actors Guild Award nominations as Best Male Actor in a Drama Series (losing to James Gandolfini and Kiefer Sutherland)...but at least it paid the bills and was a steady gig.

Treat Williams is a showbiz survivor, but had Prince of the City been a big Oscar hit and Smooth Talk gotten any kind of distribution, he could have been a big star. Could have been.