Slash Vault, Bloody Adventures with MoFo Nostromo

→ in
Tools    

@nostromo87 While you're gone, allow me to keep your thread warm.

Felt like a bit of an old classic last night, so I reached for Bava's last. (rewatch)

Shock
Mario Bava
(1977)

Dora (Daria Nicolodi), her young son (David Colin Jr.) and new husband move back into the house in which she had lived when her first husband killed himself, before she was due to give birth. It is soon revealed that she's still quite ****ed up by her first husband's suicide, and weird, creepy **** starts happening almost immediately. How her son's behaviour starts turning is disconcerting to say the least. He's also a highly annoying little ****, but that's beside the point. So wrong.

While not Bava's best, it's decent fare. It's light on gore, but the classic giallo elements are all there. Close ups on hands with knives, or just creepy hands in general, eyes of terror close-ups, red herrings, mystery...it's all there. Daria Nicolodi is my horror QUEEN and she was amazing in this!

+ (I wish we had quarter popcorn options. For when we just want the tip. )

@cat_sidhe You have let loose the cat approval.

Oh Bava especially, who, except for A Bay Of Blood (1971), I've slightly neglected in this.

That lady Daria Nicolodi, I've been seeing her a lot in these films

@nostromo87 She is AMAZING.Just noticed my first gif was one of her daughter with Argento. Unintentional sexy giallo/horror family post!

But yeah Bava. We need to do a marathon here at some point.

A Classic Revisited

Friday the 13th (1980)

An opening flashback to a summer camp scene sets the air for the story to follow. Two camp counselors slyly sneak away from the crowd serenading camp music to get hot and heavy in an attic loft, and they are met by an off-screen attacker. Next we fast-forward twenty years to a backpacker girl named Annie who is set to be the camp cook. Annie catches a ride with a truckdriver in town, he tells her, "Two kids were murdered in '58. Lloyd Browning in '57. Bunch of fires. Nobody knows who did any of it. 1962 they were gonna open up, the water was bad." Hey, wasn't that the road for Camp Crystal Lake back there?

After several rewatches, along with enjoying more of the Jason Voorhees films, it's pretty easy I feel to miss all the elements at play together in Friday the 13th (1980) without a more full grasp on the series. How it is a successful debut of one of the strongest horror franchises, and also unique compared to its rivals from the time period in the slasher subgenre. In contrast to the other big series, the first film sets up a mystery killer as well as a camp mythology backstory in which one by one the brash campers ignore the locals' warnings. Beware of strip monopoly and weird old guys riding bicycles, a perhaps hidden yet simple and stinging observation on human nature is at the center of it all. As time advances, for me, these Friday the 13th films gain more and more value.

Oh this place. They should never have opened this place again, there's been too much trouble here! Did you know that a young boy drowned? The year before those two others were killed. The counselors weren't paying any attention, THEY were making love while that young boy drowned! He should have been watched! Every minute! .... Oh I couldn't let them open this place again, could I? Not after what happened. YOU let him drown! You never paid any attention! Look what you did to him. LOOK WHAT YOU DID TO HIM!

Rating:
+ 8.5 / 10

Don't Let Her Get Away, Mommy

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	fr13 img.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	44522   Click image for larger version

Name:	fri13.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	44523  

A Classic Revisited

Friday the 13th (1980)
I rewatched it again about a week ago, and I regret choosing Part II as my fav Friday the 13th film. I must have been high on swaying butt or something, clearly, the first is my favourite.

Even though I'll probably rewatch III and be like...well OBVIOUSLY THIS ONE IS MY FAVOURITE. It's probably just best to throw a shoe at me every now and then.

I rewatched it again about a week ago, and I regret choosing Part II as my fav Friday the 13th film. I must have been high on swaying butt or something, clearly, the first is my favourite.

Even though I'll probably rewatch III and be like...well OBVIOUSLY THIS ONE IS MY FAVOURITE. It's probably just best to throw a shoe at me every now and then.
I can see why. Choosing the best Friday the 13th film is hard.
(Part 3, Part 7, and the First are all close together for me)

I can see why. Choosing the best Friday the 13th film is hard.
(Part 3, Part 7, and the First are all close together for me)
The set-up the first takes you through, though. It's one of the ones that's stayed with me the longest, and still works.

I remember the first time I rewatched it. Having been through it before, I didn't think I'd feel creeped out at all. So I took it with me to watch at a friend's parents' place while they were away. She didn't want to be alone, so being the good friend that I am, I brought some scary movies in my bag and went to keep her company.

30 min into Part I she starts hearing noises and wondering if we're locked in. But she's too scared to go check as everything's dark by then. Helpfully, I volunteer.

Oh my god. That was one scary perimeter-check walk. The vibe of Part I did its job, I was legit nervous.

I haven't had to check any property boundaries during subsequent rewatches, but I'm pretty sure it'll feel the same. No other horror film has done that to me.

With Friday the 13th's captivating sound and setting, that I can also believe.

The first time I watched, was in a previous house I used to live in on a lake. That was the time I wrote about briefly earlier in this thread where I mentioned I walked out to my workshed to grab an axe while watching, never know when Pam Voorhees might pop out! The house I lived in on the lake, that location could've fit right into one of these films!

Haven't watched it in a while but i've always found the first Friday The 13th boring, never disliked it really just never got into it. Guess that's due to seeing it so late, i was in my 20's and had already seen all the Freddies, Myers, Screams, etc. Plus i knew what happens, had even seen the great last scene on some Channel 4 Top 100 Horror's Show before i actually saw the film.

I'm planning on watching Part 3 soon. Only watched: 1, 2, 4, 6, Takes Manhattan, Freddy Vs Jason, and "all the good bits" of Jason X according to my friend who showed me various scenes from it when we were kids.

Haven't watched it in a while but i've always found the first Friday The 13th boring, never disliked it really just never got into it. Guess that's due to seeing it so late, i was in my 20's and had already seen all the Freddies, Myers, Screams, etc. Plus i knew what happens, had even seen the great last scene on some Channel 4 Top 100 Horror's Show before i actually saw the film.
On my first impression I wasn't all that into the first film either. As of the start of this year though, when I bought the DVDs of 1-4, 7-8, and the Crystal Lake Memories Documentary, they're some of the favorite films I own. As I've briefly mentioned before, I also am fond of tracking the box office success these kinds of movies achieved in the 70s and 80s.

The Halloween franchise produced five films in the 70s and 80s.
They averaged a budget of $3,060,000,
and earned an average of $23,168,000 at the box office.
Multiplying their budget about 7.6 times at the ticket box on avg.

The Elm Street series produced five films in the 80s.
They averaged a budget of $4,460,000,
and earned an average of $34,333,000 at the ticket box.
Multiplying their budget around 7.7 times on avg at the box office.

Friday the 13th produced eight films in the 80s.
They averaged a budget of $2,462,000,
and earned an average of $28,247,000 in theaters.
Multiplying their budget 11.5 times in ticket sales.

So Friday the 13th produced more films, spending less money per film on average, while earning a better return on investment than their competition financially. Some of it had to do with that first film I think, they set it up different than Halloween and Elm Street. Elm Street spent the most per film, but also made the most, while Friday spent the least and made the best return on investment. It tapped into something in our moviewatching psyche. Also, Friday the 13th (1980) made the most of any of these movies in the 70s and 80s (over $59 Million)

I'm planning on watching Part 3 soon. Only watched: 1, 2, 4, 6, Takes Manhattan, Freddy Vs Jason, and "all the good bits" of Jason X according to my friend who showed me various scenes from it when we were kids.
Will enjoy reading your take on 3, for me as fun a viewing as any. The two parts I have left- I've seen just the first half of Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning, and haven't gotten to Part 9.

the Crystal Lake Memories Documentary,
Looking forward to finishing the Jason films so i can watch this, wouldn't want anything else spoiled. Never Sleep Again (the Freddy one) was awesome, have you seen that?

Interesting about the box office breakdown, never realized that would have guessed the Friday's were last.

And yeah i'll post what i think about 3 in this thread, probably won't be for a couple of weeks though.

Looking forward to finishing the Jason films so i can watch this, wouldn't want anything else spoiled. Never Sleep Again (the Freddy one) was awesome, have you seen that?
Belongs right there next to the films with insight from pretty much all of the cast and crew (as you know) plus those inventive claymation intro sequences

It's never been about the ending for me. For me, it's about everythng right up until Mrs Voorhees reveals herself. It has a voyeuristic, stalking feel to it which is unsettling.

Part III is getting some love from me this weekend. I think I mentioned either here in thread, or to someone privately, that summer's slasher time for me. So we'll see if I wail about Part IIIIbeing, in fact, the best one by Sunday night.

Maniac
William Lustig

Yep. Again I rewatched another old classic I love so ****ing much and omg I LOVE THIS SO ****ING MUCH. This twisted little gem tells the story of a disturbingly unwell man who embarks on a scalping spree to maintain his mannequin collection. Things get a bit complicated when he engages in a sort of friendship with a beautiful photographer.

Joe Spinell is fantastic as Frank Zito, maniac of the title. He really gets in there, and it's unsettling. Gets a bit out of hand towards the end, and there's even a laughable few seconds where he rolls against a wall slowly, but it's well worth the ride. He does unhinged well, as ultimately, one feels some sort of sympathy for the character.

The film has a gritty, grimy, uncomfortable feel to it, and the soundtrack by Jay Chattaway is great! Really adds to the mood. Its very violent and gory with plenty of good kills, but I just have to hold my heart for a second and give a special shoutout of love to the scene in which (do not click until after you've seen the film, @nostromo87 ! )

WARNING: spoilers below
Tom Savini's head explodes. It is a thing of revolting beauty that is easily right up there in my top 5 exploding head scenes of all time.

*sigh*

Did I already tell you I love this movie? You might hate it though.

Maniac is awesome, might be my favourite slasher. The remake is solid too, really didn't expect that. Obviously Elijah is no Spinelli especially in that sort of role but i think it works well as its own thing.

Maniac is awesome, might be my favourite slasher. The remake is solid too, really didn't expect that. Obviously Elijah is no Spinelli especially in that sort of role but i think it works well as its own thing.
SAME

I was impressed with the remake but need to see it again to see if I feel the same way, as I went into it expecting crap. Especially as it was pitched to me like "Maniac remake starting the hobbit".

I was quite blown away by him.

So yeah, need to see if it holds up, because it sure felt like a respectful remake. And the original holds up even after many rewatches, years apart.

Let the night air cool you off
Do you guys know of any Japanese slashers? I watched Evil Dead Trap which is kind of a slasher, but way weirder and a lot of other things too. It's good, but I am wondering if there are any semi-traditional J-slashers out there.