Machismo and masculinity in films

Tools    

The truth is in here
God, stop ****ing generalizing for Christ's sake. What's more badass than Clint Eastwood? Why do you assume young people wouldn't be interested in him? You're describing a fraction of the movie going audience, not the entirety of it.

And have you ever assumed people could... you know, like both kinds of movies? Sometimes I want to go for something like Pulp Fiction, other times I like a nice, slow drama. It's not only one way or the other.

i am comparing the best with the best.
By what measure is Annie Hall the "best comedy"?

If the bests of the genre has such disparity then its applies to all.
No it doesn't. This does not logically follow.

The premises your syllogisms are based on are not facts. They ultimately rest on arbitrary assumptions like the above.

Wouldnt people compared highest paid actor with highest paid actress to explain wage disparity.
No sir. When people discuss wage gaps they almost always use aggregates. In fact, it's a pretty fundamental principle of statistical analysis that to draw conclusions about large numbers of things, you need samples that are random, representative, and (ideally) large. One person hand-picking a very small number of representative things is very nearly the diametric opposite of the best practices for these things.

By what measure is Annie Hall the "best comedy"?

No it doesn't. This does not logically follow.

The premises your syllogisms are based on are not facts. They ultimately rest on arbitrary assumptions like the above.

No sir. When people discuss wage gaps they almost always use aggregates. In fact, it's a pretty fundamental principle of statistical analysis that to draw conclusions about large numbers of things, you need samples that are random, representative, and (ideally) large. One person hand-picking a very small number of representative things is very nearly the diametric opposite of the best practices for these things.
Russell crowe once said "if you dont make up your mind...you wont go anywhere"...everything is assumption..nothing is fact....you think movie studios operate that way ? will they think...well , some comedies are more popular than some masuline movies..so lets make more comedies ? they will make up their mind based on track record...most major movie stars with enough gravitas tend to pick macho movies and not feel good movies.

greatest directors of all time and current generation tend to be more skewed towards masuline filmmaking. Scorsese,Nolan,tarantino,john ford,stanley kubrick,coppola,innaritu,sergio leone,paul thomas anderson..directors like woody allen,paul thomas anderson are considered cute..but their movies are watched by elderly

Russell crowe once said "if you dont make up your mind...you wont go anywhere"
Well, if famed philosopher and logician Russell Crowe said it...

...everything is assumption..nothing is fact....
Not at all true, but whether it is or not, it certainly isn't consistent with most of what you're saying.

you think movie studios operate that way ? will they think...well , some comedies are more popular than some masuline movies..so lets make more comedies ? they will make up their mind based on track record...most major movie stars with enough gravitas tend to pick macho movies and not feel good movies.
Er, we know they think this way, because they still make comedies.

I'm probably done with these arguments (such as they are). They're all over the place, and every time we start to peel back the layers we just find a ton of completely unstated assumptions underlying each claim.

I'll reiterate what I said earlier: you're trying to draw broad conclusions and universal truths from tiny scraps of data. That doesn't work.

@aronisred I'm not sure what the title: misogyny and masculinity in films, has to do with any of the movies you mentioned in the 1st post. I would never say they are misogynistic. Just because a film has a mostly male cast or is in the vein of any of those movies, that doesn't make the film then misogynistic.

By that line of thinking Chicago, or Shakespeare in Love would have to be misandristic...which they are not.

@aronisred I'm not sure what the title: misogyny and masculinity in films, has to do with any of the movies you mentioned in the 1st post. I would never say they are misogynistic. Just because a film has a mostly male cast or is in the vein of any of those movies, that doesn't make the film then misogynistic.

By that line of thinking Chicago, or Shakespeare in Love would have to be misandristic...which they are not.
i think you are right..i will change the title

Umberto D., Sunset Blvd, Grave of Fireflies, Alien, M, Amelie, Bicycle thieves, The Hunt, All About Eve, they are all great movies. Some 40 years old. How macho are these movies?

Umberto D., Sunset Blvd, Grave of Fireflies, Alien, M, Amelie, Bicycle thieves, The Hunt, All About Eve, they are all great movies. Some 40 years old. How macho are these movies?
most of the movies you mentioned are followed by film buffs and not by a regular audience. You need to understand that for a movie to stand the test of time and transcend continents and gather a passionate fan following it needs that element. Film buffs are already predisposed to giving some room for language barrier or slow pace or poor production values or lack of mass appeal or smoothness of the movies but its impact is too small.

As i said before, someone from Malaysia isn't gonna watch bicycle thieves or the hunt but they sure do watch the dark knight/wolf of wall street..movies need to reach wider audience.
General public need movies like drugs. Something that raises their adrenaline level.Why else would a bank teller google for a movie ahead of time that not a marvel movie or a 15 yr old be excited for a movie about stock market.

Its easy to throw in the towel and say, well i like it and there is a passionate group of supporters for the movie, so i dont care. But in reality thats not enough. I can see that since there is nothing we can do about it , its better to stay blind to this reality but its better to recognize the demise of a certain kind of movies in exchange for another kind.

Among all the movies you said a student Russia is more likely to watch alien than any of the movies.Proof ? look at the box office and anticipation levels of the movies and continued support for the stars/filmmakers of those movies.

I am not saying one is better...but its just the way it is...look at highest grossing movies of all time..all of them have certain amount of adrenaline rush to them.You sure don't find something like annie hall or amelie or all about eve in there....I saw posters of godfather in our dorm rooms..i most certainly didnt see bicycle theives...

I agree. But film culture is all about males. We discussed this in 5 threads this week already lmao
i think (not to be sexist) but there is certain amount of unpredictability to movie audience which is even higher in case of female audience. Since most of the fan base of chris nolan is male...it would take 3-4 straight up bad movies before audience are fed up of him but the moment he makes a great movie they are back on his track like m night shyamalan. But I don't see such strong female fan following to original movies...they will die for twilight but they wont show up for some original young adult content. I think the word is "loyalty"...loyalty of male movie audience is much higher if a filmmaker develops good street cred. But they need to keep giving them the same drug. Chris nolan can't make a straight up period piece or a romantic comedy and expect his fans to follow him.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I agree. But film culture is all about males. We discussed this in 5 threads this week already lmao
And 4 threads too many at that. If you want to make a film career and you happen to be a female, then go ahead. But apart from some extreme individual cases, the general rule is as follows: if you look at the Sun and lose your sight, don't blame the Sun, but your eyes.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
i think (not to be sexist) but there is certain amount of unpredictability to movie audience which is even higher in case of female audience. Since most of the fan base of chris nolan is male...it would take 3-4 straight up bad movies before audience are fed up of him but the moment he makes a great movie they are back on his track like m night shyamalan. But I don't see such strong female fan following to original movies...they will die for twilight but they wont show up for some original young adult content. I think the word is "loyalty"...loyalty of male movie audience is much higher if a filmmaker develops good street cred. But they need to keep giving them the same drug. Chris nolan can't make a straight up period piece or a romantic comedy and expect his fans to follow him.
You had mew until you mentioned Twilight. The only people I know who liked this/care to like it are
1.me and one sster.
2.men

I liked the first. I mean I really liked it. I didnt know a thing about it when I saw it - never even heard of it. My husband somehow got a copy for me not knowng anything about it but he said the marketing was tremendous. I must have beenasleep because I missed all the marketing.

That was mostly true in the past, though it's changing...and I suspect in the near future will no longer be as true.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
You had mew until you mentioned Twilight. The only people I know who liked this/care to like it are
1.me and one sster.
2.men

I liked the first. I mean I really liked it. I didnt know a thing about it when I saw it - never even heard of it. My husband somehow got a copy for me not knowng anything about it but he said the marketing was tremendous. I must have beenasleep because I missed all the marketing.
Apologies for quoting myseolf

3. a mofo. oh my giddy aunt, that one's a doozie. I keep getting asked why he hates me but hangs off my every word and tries to suck the life out of me. Only just remembering this very minute. The answer to that is a doozy. Twilight.

most of the movies you mentioned are followed by film buffs and not by a regular audience. You need to understand that for a movie to stand the test of time and transcend continents and gather a passionate fan following it needs that element. Film buffs are already predisposed to giving some room for language barrier or slow pace or poor production values or lack of mass appeal or smoothness of the movies but its impact is too small.

As i said before, someone from Malaysia isn't gonna watch bicycle thieves or the hunt but they sure do watch the dark knight/wolf of wall street..movies need to reach wider audience.
General public need movies like drugs. Something that raises their adrenaline level.Why else would a bank teller google for a movie ahead of time that not a marvel movie or a 15 yr old be excited for a movie about stock market.

Its easy to throw in the towel and say, well i like it and there is a passionate group of supporters for the movie, so i dont care. But in reality thats not enough. I can see that since there is nothing we can do about it , its better to stay blind to this reality but its better to recognize the demise of a certain kind of movies in exchange for another kind.

Among all the movies you said a student Russia is more likely to watch alien than any of the movies.Proof ? look at the box office and anticipation levels of the movies and continued support for the stars/filmmakers of those movies.

I am not saying one is better...but its just the way it is...look at highest grossing movies of all time..all of them have certain amount of adrenaline rush to them.You sure don't find something like annie hall or amelie or all about eve in there....I saw posters of godfather in our dorm rooms..i most certainly didnt see bicycle theives...
What you are stating then is popularity, not quality. The movies you mentioned are all in English, so it will definitely grab a wider audience. A guy from Malaysia, there's nothing stopping him from watching Bicycle thieves. Same way as I watched. Is he missing out? Definitely.

Marvel/DC popular? Yes. Quality? No.

It is as Yoda mentioned in an earlier post. Cherry picking to prove a point. If you are trying to great movies portray a lot of masculinity, then no. Great movies just portray a great script executed nicely. The movies that you mention are great and happen to be in English.

For a movie to stand the test of time, it just has to be extremely good. Or equally bad (The Room, Manos etc.). Its just not about thrills and spills all the time.

By the way, All about Eve was the second highest grossing movie of 1950 in US.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Team Hoosiers!!

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear