Skepsis' Short Films Tournament

Tools    

Nope its this one:

Memento Mori (2012) by Dan Browne

"A man sets out to draw the world. As the years go by, he peoples a space with images of provinces, kingdoms, mountains, bays, ships, islands, fishes, rooms, instruments, stars, horses, and individuals. A short time before he dies, he discovers that the patient labyrinth of lines traces the lineaments of his own face." - Jorge Luis Borges

"Canadian filmmaker, photographer and multimedia artist Dan Browne's visually stunning memento mori creates a vast sprawling memory well that uses thousands of images that celebrate and construct life itself. What begins as a rush of visual stimulation rapidly becomes something more complex, unique and personal as rhythms and themes emerge and vanish. These elements are dictated as much by the viewer's unconscious interpretation of the medium as the actual images presented and by their affect on the audience." - Art Cinema OFFoff

Can also be found on vimeo:

Round 1:

1. Night and Fog vs. The Critic

2. Charlotte et son Jules vs. Memento mori

3. Harvie Krumpet vs. Presto

4. Entre'acte vs. Franz Kafka's It's a Wonderful Life

5. A Trip to the Moon vs. Paperman

6. The Music Box vs. Tale of Tales

7. Duck Amuck vs. The Dream of a Ridiculous Man

8. The House is Black vs. The Heart of the World

9. Bambi Meets Godzilla vs. Envelope

10. Wallace & Gromit in The Wrong Trousers vs. 10/65: Selbstverstümmelung

11. Everything Will Be Ok vs. Meshes of the Afternoon

12. Un Chien Andalou vs. Dimensions of Dialogue

13. La Jetee vs. King-Size Canary

14. Frankenweenie vs. The Terrys

15. The Red Balloon vs. Wallace & Gromit in A Close Shave

16. Outer Space vs. Geri's Game

Let's say a week for voting, I'll close this on the 12th. Should give everyone enough time to watch what they want to and vote.

Only two match ups I've seen so far, my goal is to be able to vote on all of the rest. All 4 of these are great films though. Jetée and DoD are my all time favorite short films.

Couple new votes

Well I guess I have seen Presto before, just forgt the title. And while it's a sweet little film I found Harvie Krumpet to be hilarious when I saw it, while this, just nice. Both are good films.

I watched The House is Black awhile back and don't plan on watching it again. It's powerful though, and lets sights speak for themselves. I just watched The Heart of the World, my reaction is a mix of &

Edit: One more
Even if Envelope wasn't my nomination, and BmG was amazingly animated, this vote would be easy. It's effort vs no effort. And I mean Atleast change the title, took away any potential laughs due to shock.

Let the night air cool you off

By the way, here are my noms if anybody wants to watch them:

Geri's Game -

Everything Will Be Ok -

King-Size Canary -

The Terrys -

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

I'll watch the other films but I doubt that any of them will amaze me as much as The House Is Black, the one that seem less like a short film than a transcendental prayer; a howl of despair to reconcile belief and suffering. And this is coming from someone who doesn't subscribe to any particular religion.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
2. Charlotte et son Jules (not seen) vs. Memento mori

11. Everything Will Be OK vs. Meshes of the Afternoon (close)

15. The Red Balloon vs. Wallace & Gromit in A Close Shave - Too close to vote yet, but The Red Balloon is one of the first films I remember and probably the first one which made me cry.

Chappie doesn't like the real world

I'm going to try to get the other pairings where I've seen one of the movies tonight.

10/65 was a great nomination by TozeKa! Disturbing and eerie film about bodily mutilation. Wrong Trousers was good, but I prefer A Close Shave.

I didn't get the hype of The Red Balloon. Just kind of felt self-entitled to me, as if the protagonist is the center of the universe. Call me heartless but I didn't find it touching at all.

Getting through these now, seen a few already. Anybody know anyway to watch Charlotte et son Jules, apparently it comes as part of the Criterion release of Breathless? But apart from that I can find nothing of it on the internet

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right

7. Duck Amuck vs. The Dream of a Ridiculous Man - just watched the first one and liked the idea of trolling animator, but The Dream is undeniably better in every aspect.

11. Everything Will Be Ok vs. Meshes of the Afternoon - I love both of them, but Deren's film had a bigger impact on me.

13. La Jetee vs. King-Size Canary - another enjoyable little animation, but in competition with La Jetee it has to lose.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Getting through these now, seen a few already. Anybody know anyway to watch Charlotte et son Jules, apparently it comes as part of the Criterion release of Breathless? But apart from that I can find nothing of it on the internet
I can't seem to find it either. If anyone knows some way we can watch it let us know, otherwise I'll have to ask HitchFan to nominate something else. Should have checked earlier, sorry guys.

I can't seem to find it either. If anyone knows some way we can watch it let us know, otherwise I'll have to ask HitchFan to nominate something else. Shuold have checked earlier, sorry guys.
Whilst searching on youtube I came across Presentation, or Charlotte and Her Steak / Présentation ou Charlotte et son steak.

Directed by Erich Rohmer and starring Jean-Luc Godard, 12 minutes, no idea what it's like yet, up to HF -

13.La Jetee vs. King-Size Canary

I can't find Charlotte et son Jules ...