Newcomer, In need of suggestions

Tools    

Hey All,

To sum it up im 22, used to party alot but my mom go sick so now I'm living cross country from my home and taking care of her. I've picked up movies as my new thing and I'm really getting into it. I'm having problems finding good movies just by googling good movies. So I found this site and I'm looking for some suggestions on really great movies I can really enjoy. Here's a list of my favorite so far. Any suggestions are helpful. Thanks alot

My favorites (so far)
-A History Of Violence
-Blood Diamond
-Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid
-Blow
-Fight Club
-Into The Wild
-Pulp Fiction
-Taken
-The Big Lebowski
-The Boondock Saints (The first one)
-Taking Chance
-The Departed
-The Godfather
-The Hurt Locker
-The Last King Of Scotland
-The Prestige

I also get into good miniseries...
-Generation Kill
-Deadwood
-Rome
and Entourage is the greatest thing ever to me. So yep that's about it, looking for some really good movies or series that may be a little less known. It seems like all the popcorn flicks come up short. Again thanks and I love the site

Lockwood
-

I'll tell you what I tell most people, a good place to start is to watch other films directed by those who made your favourites.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
If you like Taken, you may like Man on Fire....

If you like The Departed, maybe check out L.A. Confidential or Heat if you haven't seen them.

Hey All,

To sum it up im 22, used to party alot but my mom go sick so now I'm living cross country from my home and taking care of her. I've picked up movies as my new thing and I'm really getting into it. I'm having problems finding good movies just by googling good movies. So I found this site and I'm looking for some suggestions on really great movies I can really enjoy. Here's a list of my favorite so far. Any suggestions are helpful. Thanks alot.
I'm very sorry to hear about your mother. I hope everything works out. As far as the movies go, we have many "favorite" threads, but we also have this section where many of the best movies are listed. If you'd like, you could go through those lists, checking off what you've seen, and then start checking out, or asking opinion first, on what's left. I will look through your list, and come back with a few favorites, as I'm sure others will too. Maybe you'll have some spare time to chat with us about the movies you see . . . and other stuff. We're a pretty friendly group here. Welcome!

There's plenty of film advice and threads that you've been pointed to, but for tv series I'd say you'd do well to take a look at these.

Mad Men
Dexter
The Wire
The Shield
Fringe
Being Human
Bones
House

Employee of the Month
Based on your movies, I would recommend this:

Hidalgo, Crash, ExistenZ, The Constant Gardner, Body of Lies, Bourne-Trilogy, 25 Hours, Heat, Woodstock, Mystic River, The Pledge, Reservoir Dogs, Jackie Brown, Fargo, The Door in the Floor, Scarface (!), Point Break, The Hurt-Locker, Narc (!), Equilibrium

I don't know if you want to see old movies but here are a few good ones,

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
The Seventh Seal (I love all Ingmar Bergman's)
Aguirre Wrath of God
12 Angry Men
Animal House
Birdman of Alcatraz
Key Largo
Cat Ballou
Casablanca
The Cook the Thief his Wife and her Lover
Cinema Paradiso
A Fistful of Dollars
For a few Dollars More
Groundhog Day
(even though its not old) Inglourious Basterds
The Parallax View
No Country for Old men
Salam Bombay
Scarface
The Deer Hunter
Henry V

You seem a little into organized crime and westerns....

I'd recommend:
-Unforgiven
-Tombstone
-L.A. Confidential

Here's a few suggestions:

The Savages
The look out
The diving bell and the butterfly
The summer hours / Assayas
The family stone

Slightly Quirky films:
Hard candy
In Bruges
Lars and the Real Girl
Towelhead
Runaway Jury
Noises off
You can count on me
The myth of fingerprints

John Milius = Rome
Walter Hill = Deadwood

See my Favorite Movies list for suggestions of films to watch.

If you like Taken, you may like Man on Fire....

If you like The Departed, maybe check out L.A. Confidential or Heat if you haven't seen them.

Law Abiding Citizen
as well.

I'll tell you what I tell most people, a good place to start is to watch other films directed by those who made your favourites.
Harry,
Your sig is driving me craZy! I know I've heard that line before...what the heck is it from?

Hey welcome to Mofo. Well I used to party a lot then I had kids lol. If you like mini series you should grab all 5 seasons of the Wire. Its not a mini series but its one hell of a series. Its sixty episodes and it never gets boring. This will keep you busy for a while.

I actually just saw a film that rather reminded me of Pulp Fiction, what with it's lack of chronological order. It's called Go (1999), and it mainly centers around one drug deal, showing many different perspectives around it. With the films you say to have liked, I think you'll like this one.

A great suggestion was Man On Fire based on your like of Taken. I liked Taken but Man On Fire was bad ass.

Harry had a good suggestion regarding directors/writers of movies you already like. The first Tarantino movie I ever saw was Pulp Fiction and is in my top 3 movies of all time, so take a look at Reservoir Dogs, Kill Bill 1 & 2, Inglourious Basterds. Also, throw in some of the films he wrote such as True Romance, From DuskTil Dawn, and Natural Born Killers.

Check out the Joel and Ethan Coen brothers movies too. They are behind The Big Lebowski and I have enjoyed all of their movies. No Country for Old Men, Millers Crossing and Fargo to name a few.

I would recommend Go as well.