Arthouse Mafia

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I realize that nearly every director praised Mizoguchi. No trash talk at him
Except for Mizoguchi himself!

[Mizoguchi on Mizoguchi] This man they call Mizoguchi is an idiot!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I bet he would be really fun to hang out with

I think the movie of the month concept is a little too slow. Arthous Mafia keeps going into comas.

Just a thought: What if every month everyone participating puts forward a movie, and we try to watch them all and talk about them. I think it would give us more to talk about.

I think the movie of the month concept is a little too slow. Arthous Mafia keeps going into comas.

Just a thought: What if every month everyone participating puts forward a movie, and we try to watch them all and talk about them. I think it would give us more to talk about.

tbh im down for whenever. Really wanna start this back up and keep it consistent. I say at first we do only criterion collections so they are accessible as that was a problem for some. I think 2 to 3 films per month is fine.

I would also be interested in exploring certain venues of art cinema, movements like French New Wave, regions like Latin American Films or Middle Eastern Films, the great master directors like Bergman and Ozu, and even specific countries that are renown like Australia and Iran.

Styles
New Wave
Hyper Realism
Silent
Documentaries
Experimental
Neo-Noire
Animation
Avant-Garde
Dada
Neorealist

Regions
Soviet/Post-Soviet
South Asia
Middle East
Africa
Latin America
North America (excluding Hollywood)
Scandinavia
Caribbean
Oceania

Directors
Godard
Ozu
Bresson
Melville
Malle
Mizoguchi
Oshii
Kurasawa
Bergman
Tarkovsky
Truffaut
Fellini
Lynch
Malick
Refn
Jodorowsky
Rivette
Aronofsky
Cronenberg
De Sica
Dreyer
Herzog
Tarr
Kalatozov
Ki-duk
Moodysson
Noe
Kar-wai
Farhadi
Kubrick
Van Sant

Countries
France
UK
Hong Kong
Japan
Australia
Iran
Italy
Russia
Sweden
Germany
Poland

These lists are just an initial rough draft, but I'd like to make a more comprehensive list. So far there are sixty categories, so even watching one film from each would take a considerable length of time. On the other hand it could be pulled off in 2-3 months.

It's November 26th. If you guys are interested in squeezing one in for this month, may I propose:

Little Red Flowers (2006)

It's by Zhang Yuan. I recently saw his film Seventeen Years (1999) which blew me away. He is an amazing Chinese director who I think rivals Wong Kar-wai, although their styles are extremely different and Kar-wai's films are more polished, but Yuan's films are more realistic. The movie is available on youtube with auto-translate subtitles if anyone can't find a better version. Here is the trailer:

what about 2 movies of one french new wave director per month for 6 months then maybe cover something like polish cinema or something else for the next 6

Well, I've already seen like 12 French New Wave films. I still want to continue exploring it, but there is so much out there I've yet to explore. If we spent 6 months on each category it would take 30 years to finish 60 categories, and that's only a fraction of the art cinema categories there are.

That's the problem. There's just too much stuff. But then again, filmwatching is a lifetime hobby, right?

I'm following my own movie-watching schedule. Don't tell me what to watch!

I like the idea of monthly themes over monthly movies. It could be a director, country, or style. That way people can watch and talk about what they feel like and enjoy each other's reviews without worrying about not being able to find an extremely obscure film as happened to me twice. I'm still trying to find Four Nights of a Dreamer and Sinbad.

That was two whole months where I couldn't even participate. I couldn't talk about it because I hadn't seen it. And I couldn't read others because I wanted to avoid spoilers.

so would you like to start in December and would you like to start planning?

I can basically get most movies so I probaly wont have 2 much trouble finding anything

also one more thing. Does this deserve a separate thread? Or do we keep it here

so zotis do you want December to be a director, country, or genre month. I wanna hurry and get the films soon if possible