X-Men: First Class

Tools    

Oh, sure. And inflation matters. But there's a long way to go before we can make total domestic gross comparisons.

Good point, about the new releases. It'll be very interesting to see how it holds up. I still think it'll do okay; probably somewhere around $200 million domestically.

Bryan Singer didn't direct it, though; I think he bailed after the second film (Ratner directed the third). Matthew Vaughn (Kick-Ass) did the honors this time.

In the Beginning...
Singer was a producer on the film. I read that he had interest in directing but his schedule didn't allow for it. The film went through several iterations anyway, and absorbed a lot of what was planned for the Magneto origin film, so who knows at what point of the development/pre-pro phase he was slated to direct.

I think Dexter's right, though. First Class will do extremely well in DVD sales, probably. And I think Green Lantern is going to bomb at the theaters. It looks so overblown.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
Yes i know, Yodes, but he's on board as a producer. His supplementals for the original set the bar for comic book DVD's to come. In this day and age of torrents, the special features are as important as the film itself to propel dvd sales i'd say.

Ah, didn't know he Produced. I'd be curious to know how involved he was, but either way I think the series is clearly better with him doing something.

Hadn't heard that, about absorbing Magneto's origin film. I guess they're not doing that one now?

Re: The Green Hornet. I might be dumb for thinking this, but the fact that it's overblown is kind of what I like about it right now. Most other films are going for gritty and realistic, and here's one that says "screw it: PURPLE ALIENS!" Feels more like a comic book come to life, and it seems to have a massive scope, with scenes taking place all over the galaxy. Doesn't mean it won't suck, but I'm intrigued by the ways in which it seems like it'll go against the grain.

In the Beginning...
Hadn't heard that, about absorbing Magneto's origin film. I guess they're not doing that one now?
Yeah, read it a while back. I think it was scrapped because the Wolverine flick did so horribly, and when the concept for First Class came about, they worked some of that into it. Also, I've read that First Class did some morphing of its own, as Zak Penn had written an early script but bowed out when someone came up with placing the story within the context of the 1960s.

Originally Posted by Yoda
Re: The Green Hornet. I might be dumb for thinking this, but the fact that it's overblown is kind of what I like about it right now. Most other films are going for gritty and realistic, and here's one that says "screw it: PURPLE ALIENS!" Feels more like a comic book come to life, and it seems to have a massive scope, with scenes taking place all over the galaxy. Doesn't mean it won't suck, but I'm intrigued by the ways in which it seems like it'll go against the grain.
You mean the Green Lantern? I swear, it's infectious. Even my friends and I, who are seasoned comic fans, make this mistake regularly.

I think you've got a point about at least going for broke and making it an extravaganza. I don't know much about Green Lantern, but what little I do know seems sorta catered to that I mean, there's a whole corps of them, all of wildly different alien origins. I can't imagine what the production design workload is like.

I just hope it doesn't end up like the last Transformers film, or Clash of the Titans, or G.I. Joe. I fear it'll be the case, though... watchable, but way too loud and far too shallow.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World

I can def see First Class and Green Hornet a case of opposites.

First Class being something of a critical hit while not attaining blockbuster status, while GH will most likely be panned yet with the Subway/Reeses tie-ins may well pass Thor as the King of Comic Book Summer extravaganzas.

at least for a little while anyway. When Captain America is released, i expect a resurgence of Thor.

edit- durrrrrrr yes greeen lantern not hornet.

Guys i still have to watch this movie how is it ??? got good reviews from friends but those are one liner reviews

I want to see this movie so bad. ^^ It looks really good.

The Lord of the Rings

I see you....
is this out on dvd already?

At the rate movies are going to DVD I wouldn't be surprised.

Movie Forums Extra
I liked this one a lot. I know he just produced it, but it made me forgive Singer for bailing on the Third one and letting Ratner hand us that steaming pile.

When someone asks you if you're a God, you say YES!!
Saw this again for the second time in theaters tonight and it held up very well. The one problem I had with it the first time around was that I felt like Beast looked a little ridiculous (kind of like the Mike Myers Cat in the Hat), but it seemed better to me the second time around. Fassbender is the highlight of the film, but I thought Jennifer Lawrence was great too. Bacon is terrific as Sebastian Shaw and Rose Byrne is pretty easy on the eyes. HUGE improvement over the crap that Ratner gave us with X3.