Opponents of the death penalty: please explain your view

Tools    

I know a person who was a pedophile and is now a decent person. What changed their life from being a scumbag to a real human being was religion. People can change.

I don't disagree with the death penalty for moral reasons though. It's simply the fact that too many innocent people get wrongly convicted. Hundreds of cases have been found since the 80's. There are too many flaws in our justice systems, and there is too much corruption in the police force.

I know a person who was a pedophile and is now a decent person. What changed their life from being a scumbag to a real human being was religion. People can change.

I don't disagree with the death penalty for moral reasons though. It's simply the fact that too many innocent people get wrongly convicted. Hundreds of cases have been found since the 80's. There are too many flaws in our justice systems, and there is too much corruption in the police force.

I understand your point, but if you had a 3 year old and your neighbor raped her, would you want death or rehabilitation? You're absolutely right though, corruption in the police force makes all situations difficult to digest.

Yeah, the problem with the justice system is that wealthy people are more likely to get off if their lawyer can find some technical loophole even though they're clearly guilty. And a poor person could get screwed over by the system just because they can't afford a good lawyer.

In response to your comment Green, I say no I would not want them to be killed for raping my child. Maybe if that actually happened to me my answer would change. I don't know if I can really answer that until I'm in that situation. But at the very least I think life in prison will satisfy me. Prison isn't rehabilitation though, it's a deterrent.

There is a place for the death penalty. Why is Charles Manson alive? Why wasnt Jeffrey Dahmer sentenced to die? It took them forever to kill Bundy, pathetic. Bundy is an excellent example on how the legal system puts their system ahead of its own judgement.

If someone is completely and unmistakably guilty, and theyre an uncorrectable threat to society, then I agree the death penalty should be used. In the case of Manson or Dahmer it probably would have been the humane thing to do.