Cici's Top Ten "Scream Queens"

Tools    

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Looking forward to the top 3, Callum, this list has been very surprising thus far. It's great to such personal picks instead of all the obvious ones.
Thanks Med!
I would have posted again today but I had this deadline for sixth form, and I would have been bollocked had I missed it, that and with the review thread, I didn't want to spam the site either

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
It's the end of the year, so it seems appropriate to finally bring this to a close

3. Fay Wray

Claims to Fame:
The Most Dangerous Game (1932)
King Kong (1933)

Also known for:
The Vampire Bat (1933)
Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933)
Black Moon (1934)

This Canadian/American actress was certainly the founder of the term "Scream Queen" and her performances in a variety of films led to her becoming nothing short of an icon. Her beauty, talent and influence as Ann Darrow in King Kong even saved the production company RKO from bankruptcy.

However, having received an abundance of roles in the 1920s and 1930s, Ms. Wray decided to retire from acting in 1942 following her second marriage (to the writer Robert Riskin) but financial difficulties forced Ms. Wray to continue her career, which largely consisted of television appearances in the following decades.

Nevertheless, she was never once forgotten in the industry. Astonishingly, James Cameron would approach her in 1997 to offer her the part of Rose Dawson Calvert, an offer she would decline before the role was given to Gloria Stewart, who would go on to receive an Oscar nomination for her portrayal. In 2004, Peter Jackson would approach her to offer her a cameo role in the remake of her most famous film, yet she would again refuse, proclaiming her 'Kong' to be the true 'King.' Even if she had accepted, she would have failed to have made an appearance because shortly before filming commenced, Ms. Wray passed away in her sleep at the age of 96. Amazingly, the lights on the Empire State building were even dimmed for 15 minutes in her memory!

I haven't actually seen too many of her films, but no list regarding Scream Queens would be complete without providing this iconic actress a well deserved mention!

I enjoy the old King Kong film but whenever I hear her name.. it makes me think of the audience participation in "The Rocky Horror Picture Show"

in the film when they sing her name.. they say "Whatever happened to Fay Wray" and the audience or the ones I have been in.. says "She got ****** by an Ape and never went back to white meat again"...

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
I enjoy the old King Kong film but whenever I hear her name.. it makes me think of the audience participation in "The Rocky Horror Picture Show"

in the film when they sing her name.. they say "Whatever happened to Fay Wray" and the audience or the ones I have been in.. says "She got ****** by an Ape and never went back to white meat again"...
I totally forgot she was referenced in that! I think they mentioned her a couple times if I remember rightly

I totally forgot she was referenced in that! I think they mentioned her a couple times if I remember rightly
yes a few times her name is mentioned in songs in the film....

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
2. Barbara Steele

Claims to Fame:
The Mask of Satan (1960)
The Pit and the Pendulum (1961)

Also known for:
Caged Heat (1974)
Piranha (1978)
The Butterfly Room (2012)

The often cited "Queen of all Scream Queens" falls a little short on this list, although she's still a massively talented, influential, wondrous and iconic figure who will probably forever remain as the poster girl for Gothic Horror films.

After starting her on screen career in 1958 at the age of 20, it wouldn't be long until she caught the eye of Mario Bava, who cast in her most famous and recognisable role(s) in his much loved The Mask of Satan that immortalised Ms. Steele's place within the horror industry. Following this, Ms. Steele would go on to work with a multitude of hugely famous directors including Lucio Fulci, Jonathan Demme and David Cronenburg.

Following a hiatus from 1999, Ms. Steele returned to acting and is seemingly as desired as she ever was, leading an ensemble of fellow scream queens in the 2012 thriller The Butterfly Room in addition to being cast in a supporting role in Ryan Gosling's 2014 directorial debut, Lost River.

She's also particularly unique for being a scream queen who largely played antagonistic characters, instead of the usual "final girl" yet this only ever seemed to support her status as an icon of horror, that continues to persist throughout the decades!

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Honourable Mentions!

Ko Shibasaki

Claims to Fame:
Battle Royale
One Missed Call (2003)

Chiaki Kuriyama

Claims to Fame:
Battle Royale
Kill Bill vol. 1

Adrienne Barbeau

Claim to Fame:
The Fog (1980)

Heather Langenkamp

Claim to Fame:
A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

Drew's not even in the honourable mentions? I'm disappointed, Cici.

Unless she's #1 of course, then I'd be very happy. Surprised but happy.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Drew's not even in the honourable mentions? I'm disappointed, Cici.

Unless she's #1 of course, then I'd be very happy. Surprised but happy.
Well, I thought she was the best part of Scream if that helps?

I like her, too, but this is scream queens and, well, there ain't a lot of screaming in The Fog. I think Drew screams more in her five minutes than she does in the entire film.

Oh, and of course she's the best thing about Scream.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
I like her, too, but this is scream queens and, well, there ain't a lot of screaming in The Fog. I think Drew screams more in her five minutes than she does in the entire film.

Oh, and of course she's the best thing about Scream.
She really gave the best performance in Scream if only the rest of the film was as good as her scene

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
1. Jamie Lee Curtis

The daughter of fellow Scream Queen, Janet Leigh, is by far the most famous and prolific actress within the select few that have been proclaimed a "Scream Queen". She's also quite rare in that she successfully managed to transition into mainstream roles of various genres and become a household name across the globe in the process.

In 1978 she erupted onto the scene as the lead of one of the famous ever horror films, Halloween, and never looked back. In the following years, she expanded her filmography by appearing in horrors such as Prom Night, Terror Train, The Fog and an abundance of sequels where she reprised the role of Laurie.

She then managed to grab the attention of critics and receive critical acclaim for an array of roles. She managed to obtain a BAFTA for best supporting actress for her turn in Trading Places and an additional nomination for her role in A Fish Called Wanda a few years later. She's managed to pick up a couple of Golden Globes and a handful of other nominations for roles on both the small and big screen. She'll even be contesting an award in the 2016 for her role in the hit TV series, Scream Queens (I really hope she wins, she and Emma Roberts are by far the best things about the entire show ).

But she was always going to top the list, and deservedly so! Her magnificent career will always be remembered and cherished, and she's more than made a name for herself in her own right, and not just as the offspring of a celebrity couple!

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Trivia!
Youngest entrant: Katharine Isabelle (born 1981)
Oldest entrant: Fay Wray (born 1907)

Within the list, there were:
5 Americans (Keaton, Quigley, King, Burns, Curtis)
3 Canadians (Risk, Isabelle, Wray)
1 Briton (Steele)
1 Italian (Nicolodi)
(Based on their place of birth for convenience)

None of the actresses have neither won, or been nominated for an Academy award. However, none of them have "Won" or received a nomination at the Razzies either!