Why dont some good movies ever get attention?

Tools    

there are some really famous great movies I am looking to see outthere.. but then a few weeks ago or so I made a post about gods and generals and no one replied.. no one is interested in our nations history? the civil war? the ideals which created our country and changed it forever? i just dont understand.. i thought people would get at least interested.. i was when i heard about it... it was finally a good historical movie with depth and essence... does america care anymore about our history and the ideals which shaped us instead of some raunchy humour? its disturbing..

Ummmm, yeah.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally posted by jstyles21jg
there are some really famous great movies I am looking to see outthere.. but then a few weeks ago or so I made a post about gods and generals and no one replied.. no one is interested in our nations history? the civil war? the ideals which created our country and changed it forever? i just dont understand.. i thought people would get at least interested.. i was when i heard about it... it was finally a good historical movie with depth and essence... does america care anymore about our history and the ideals which shaped us instead of some raunchy humour? its disturbing..
I apologize and pled ignorance but i too have no idea what-so-ever you are talking about, it seems you have an opinion on a particular movie but im too confused, i mean no disrespect but please explain a little more throughly what your gripe is concerned with.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Maybe no one has seen the movie you're talking about.

I wrote a post about the similarities between Renoir's "La Régle du jeu" (one of the so called "best films ever made") and Altman's "Gosford Park" (a film by one of the so called "best american directors ever"). I don't remember how many replies I got but I don't think it was more than one or perhaps two.

I love to discuss movies but this one ("Gods and Generals" is it?) I just haven't seen. I live in Sweden so I hope it will get here too. I would love it if the discussions incuded films with more depth, but if people haven't seen them, they haven't seen them.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

jstyles hasn't seen Gods & Generals yet either, it hasn't been released. The post that didn't get any replies thus far is THIS ONE.

ROBERT DUVALL as General
Robert E. Lee in Gods & Generals

If you'll read through it, you'll see it's not really about Gods & Generals at all, but about that period in American history and some tenuious link jstyles was trying to explore between those turbulent times and today's modern United States. "Does history repeat itself?" was the essential question those two long paragraphs boiled down to. As I was a History major for almost two years before I went screaming to the English department (though I retained enough HIST credits to complete a minor - bully for me), I have no real interest in hashing out such speculative babble. It's a big part of why I left for the cozy confines of world literature, poetry and drama.

More generally, if you're going to get your feelings bruised when posts or threads are unanswered, you should probably just e-mail friends instead of interacting on a board. Some subjects and responses are going to generate chatter, others ain't. Que sera sera, dig? But you're likely not going to get chatter going - at least not the on topic kind you're seeking - by whining and making unfounded, silly conclusions based on a lack of responses (to a post that was made six whole days ago BTW)....although in my case, your bombastic sarcasm wasn't silly or unfounded, you hit the provervial nail on the head: I truly don't care about American history or its supposed ideals, and I always favor raunchy humor (for the record, I'm a card-carrying member of the Adam Sandler fanclub, and if and when Sandler ever teams up with misters Robert and Peter Farrelly, well, the planets will all be in alignment, as far as this dumb citizen is concerned).

Peace and chicken grease!

The so called films about our history are basically just as fictional as the Friday the 13th films. History in the books and in films is so fabricated that it's disgusting.

If you want to see a really good movie (in theaters now), watch "City of God". I doubt a better film will come out all year.

no one is interested in our nations history? the civil war? the ideals which created our country and changed it forever?
this is not a USA-only forum...it may be YOUR history, but it sure ain't mine...my country hasn't as yet had a civil war

there are so many American war movies, how many movies about, say, Greece's civil war after WWII would you be interested in seeing? please understand that a lot of movie lovers all over the world may simply not be interested in this topic of film

I am sorry - through my own zeal and inspiration I totally disregarded a number of other members that are from other countries and not just the USA... but then another question.. I am yet to see a movie about the history of Greece or Russia or something of that sort playing on the big screen, yet history is what makes us who we are.. so why aren't we grasped by it as much by some giggles.. yes at times i even fall victim to giggles and cannot refrain from seeing a variety of movies from comedy to romance... but more and more at times i crave something different to be shown to the sreen.. a depiction of a historical period in our time..i can really only think of one which was popular - gladiator.. but i hope gods and generals will be good too.. unfortunately i can see in many minds history = boredom.. but i hope it will change..

I am having a nervous breakdance
I am sorry - through my own zeal and inspiration I totally disregarded a number of other members that are from other countries and not just the USA... but then another question.. I am yet to see a movie about the history of Greece or Russia or something of that sort playing on the big screen, yet history is what makes us who we are.. so why aren't we grasped by it as much by some giggles.. yes at times i even fall victim to giggles and cannot refrain from seeing a variety of movies from comedy to romance... but more and more at times i crave something different to be shown to the sreen.. a depiction of a historical period in our time..i can really only think of one which was popular - gladiator.. but i hope gods and generals will be good too.. unfortunately i can see in many minds history = boredom.. but i hope it will change..
Dude... What is "Gladiator" really about? It's not about history, it has the exact same ingrediens as all other Hollywood films. It's about love, hate and revenge with a big final fight. Also, the size of the erronous historical facts in "Gladiator" would make any history teacher faint.

I can think of a whole bunch of movies that are set in another historical period and that was also popular: Braveheart, Dances With Wolves, Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves, Sense and Sensibility, Schindler's List. The list is long.

You seem to be very fond of the "historical genre", which is cool of course. But if you watch them to learn about how it really happened, I think you're fishing in the wrong water. These films are not made of facts - they are made of myths, legends and also lies. This is entertainment - not a history lesson. But, if they wake up an interest for history that causes the spectator to learn about the real facts of the subject - there's nothing wrong with that of course. Neither is there anything wrong with watching and being entertained by these movies. I do it all the time... Saw "Braveheart" the other day, and for the first time, I'm sorry to say, I thought it was quite rediculous. I've always loved that movie....

I like films that challenge the hollywood image of certain historical periods or certain historical stereotypes. Films like "Das Boot" for example...

My life isn't written very well.
Gladiator=History? Yikes! This country's doomed!

I'm kidding of course jstyles. But our friends that herald from other countries on these boards can walk out their front doors, turn left at any corner, pick a building at random and I can almost assure you that that building will be older (hundreds to thousands) than any building in America (Except of course buildings in Hong Kong ). Now that's history.

As far as movies go; the best way to learn about American history unfortunately, is to read about it first, then see a movie and draw your own conclusions.

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

OH MY GOD! you mean i spent 4 or 5 days watching that 98 hour documentary on pbs entitled "CIVIL WAR" and the whole thing was lies? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! I will never succeed at taking over this world, its too confusing.