Camo's 2018 Movie Log

→ in
Tools    

Orlando

Just finished Orlando. I'm pretty sick right now so just made a short post that probably doesn't make sense haha, will probably add more when i'm feeling better if a discussion about it comes up at some point or whatever. I thought it was pretty great. That's me finished then, will add my list to Cricket's tomorrow most likely.

Have never read anything by Virginia Wolf so i'm not able to compare this to the novel, probably for the best anyway as it allows me to see this as its own thing. I liked it a lot. It all felt very poetic and i got a magical realism feel from it an interesting take on a time so often seen as rigid and formal. It's just straight up beautiful; the sets, the costumes, the way its filmed, even the dialogue in places although i think they tripped up at times there. And oh man the music was so good i liked that it was often playing in the scene like the iceskating scene, the music and Swinton's delivery and facial mannerisms made that scene something really wonderful. That's what i mostly thought of this as a collection of great scenes using various different techniques, i don't really care about it as the one cohesive story which is a good thing in my mind as it went with the dreamy nature of it all and of course the time skips made it feel like you were watching several different movies; or several different episodes actually. Tilda was great as always and she is perfect for this sort of role, she absolutely looks like someone who could have came from the 17th Century. She looks so similar to the paintings of Elizabeth the 1st that i was kind of thrown that someone else was playing her haha. Completely understand the lukewarm reactions to this and costume/historical drama's in general, you have to have some interest in the attempt in visually and tonally recreating or reimagining an era that some people are just not going to care about, some times it doesn't work for me but it did here. I'm sure the poetic and fancy dialogue bothered some too but i felt it completely fit the tone and themes. Great nom Ed, one of the best in this Hall of Fame.

Jackass 1 & 2

These are the dumbest movies of all time probably. I was very sick and i just wanted to take my mind off of it with something mindless and for some reason i own both of these. They are fine to just pass the time and some parts definitely cracked me up. The biggest two are both Wee Man related: the shock chair and the bar brawl. Wee Man's "You guys have got a machine! A Card Throwing Machine! is just the best thing. I really hope that wasn't scripted (and his delivery made it seem like it wasn't) coz i so got what happened there, when you know that everyone knows something you don't you can kind of hit a hyper state of confusion and try to quickly come up with what is happening to show that they aren't fooling you and as a result you can say some very stupid things like Wee Man did. The bar brawl is just ridiculous, it's the same joke as all the little people chasing Preston Lacy but it's taken to the extreme and gets me every time, so dumb.

What i liked most about revisiting these was it got me to watch old skateboarding parts again, that took my mind off my sickness more than anything.

(Felt about the same about both of them)

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
even though I've already read a lot of these, still pretty d@mn great to see them and the others.
And, reading A Bittersweet Life is yet another excellent example when I compliment your insight when it comes to film watching. While most of us see the action and revenge sequences coming about, you see the love story and the levels of interaction through it all as the film proceeds and examine them.
F@ckin extraordinary!!

even though I've already read a lot of these, still pretty d@mn great to see them and the others.
And, reading A Bittersweet Life is yet another excellent example when I compliment your insight when it comes to film watching. While most of us see the action and revenge sequences coming about, you see the love story and the levels of interaction through it all as the film proceeds and examine them.
F@ckin extraordinary!!
haha. Thanks Ed. It all really got to me this time, beautiful film. You're the only other member i know has watched it so we need to convince the others

Camo, can I suggest a film to you?
Go for it.

I haven't posted about any of the 13 remaining films here so i'm just going to group them into three posts with short write-ups.

Coco

Not much to say about this. Think Pixar have a great track record overall and this was fine, would have it along with A Bugs Life, Cars and The Good Dinosaurs as the decent Pixars in front of the weak/bad ones (Finding Dory, Monsters University and Brave) and behind the ten pretty good to great ones, haven't seen Cars 2 or 3 yet. Think it was lacking in humour more than anything its messages felt like a big retread for Disney/Pixar. Still it was an enjoyable one time watch.

Last Flag Flying

Had heard bad things about this, think they were exaggerated but yeah this isn't great, it's fine though with some good performances, humour and actually a couple of sweet moments. Cranston got a little irritating after a while but he was funny for most of it and was probably the most interesting character, Carell kinda played a shy, broken man and i wasn't into it at first but when he started to come out of his shell i liked him, Fishburne was fine. This didn't feel like anything new or impressive and it's nothing compared to The Last Detail, but it's not a bad watch. I think the best parts where when they just sat and talked especially on the train, would have liked this a lot more if it was more of a conversational movie like the Before Trilogy.

The Heartbreak Kid

This was outstanding, my second Elaine May after Mikey and Nicky and i can't wait to see her other two. I liked this more than Mikey and Nicky, really funny and awkward and kind of devastating, although probably not coz everything was deserved. Everyone was great.

The Post

Meh. I was already familiar with the story so i wasn't looking forward to this anyway. Visually it was great which surprised me, probably shouldn't have since it was Spielberg but it's just not the type of film i'd expect to have notable visuals. Streep and Hanks were so bad though and Spielberg brought absolutely nothing new to this, if you aren't aware of the story you might like it more than me.

The Witch

Was already a fan of this but it went way up after this spontaeneous rewatch. Such a gorgeous film and despite this going against the themes this comes close to The Exorcist in putting across an "evil" atmosphere to me. Dunno how to describe it really it's just the music, visuals and those dang woods. Has replaced Trouble Every Day as my favourite Horror of the 21st Century.

definitely agree about getting the word out on A Bittersweet Life. May have to sneak it into a future HoF.

Been curious about Last Flag Flying and thought, maybe the dialogue might be worthwhile, and so it seems when it comes to the "conversations".
Heard of Heartbreak Kid, never saw it. May need to.

definitely agree about getting the word out on A Bittersweet Life. May have to sneak it into a future HoF.

Been curious about Last Flag Flying and thought, maybe the dialogue might be worthwhile, and so it seems when it comes to the "conversations".
Heard of Heartbreak Kid, never saw it. May need to.
The dialogue is very good for the most part, there's some over the top stuff, it's good when they are all talking about their past and just being buddies.

Heard of Heartbreak Kid, never saw it. Mayneed to
Is the bolded a pun? The directors name is Elaine May

Camo

I hope you don't mind, it's a foreign language film

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110882/

if you have seen it, I can suggest something else.

La Strada

Just my third Fellini, watching Nights of Cabiria tomorrow then I Vitelonni soon. Very good film. Giulietta Masina was extraordinary. Kinda feel like i need to see it again as i thought it was going another way then when it didn't it left me with this weird feeling that i had problems with the film although i'm not sure if i do haha. Mainly the interactions between Gelsomina and the strong man and character motivations. Still very beautiful and sad film.

-

The Master

Yeah this is one of my all time favourites, posted about it a bunch here. Think this was my fifth or sixth watch, this and TWBB are basically 1A and 1B for PTA for me but i think i'd put The Master slightly ahead for now as i got more out of it than i did on my last TWBB watch, still there's nothing between them. Hope Phantom Thread lives up to the hype.

+

U.S Go Home

Man i loved this. It's a TV Film from Claire Denis and has replaced Trouble Every Day as my favourite of hers. I asked Iro if it counts for the Countdown and he said yes so hope some people check it out. Great soundtrack, so American Dad Rock but it works incredibly in this film (there's a random dancing scene, the one on the poster actually which is amazing) and it's one of my favourite portrayal of these sorts of youths, something i can identify with to an extent. Also it has Vincent Gallo and he's really great. I've noticed that i hate Gallo as a person but he's one of my favourite actors.

+

The Shape of Water

Already posted a decent amount about this. I think i'm overrating this, it has a bunch of problems: heavy handed, weak characters, etc. But it's gorgeous and pretty powerful, and despite the weak characters there was good performances. Don't think this is a great film but i liked it a lot and i'm glad GDT is getting some stuff right again.

Camo

I hope you don't mind, it's a foreign language film

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110882/

if you have seen it, I can suggest something else.
Nah, that's fine. Will definitely watch it if i can find it. Have always been interested in learning more/watching stuff about the Bosnian War so it's up my alley.

Nah, that's fine. Will definitely watch it if i can find it. Have always been interested in learning more/watching stuff about the Bosnian War so it's up my alley.
So you haven't seen it?

The dialogue is very good for the most part, there's some over the top stuff, it's good when they are all talking about their past and just being buddies.

Is the bolded a pun? The directors name is Elaine May
if it was, it was unintended lol

Mustang

Very good film. So horrible and depressing and yet it's not really portrayed that way. Don't want to ruin anything but when any of the big moments happen they aren't portrayed as devastating it's more just something that happens, and that's exactly what this film is doing showing how a particular society actually operates. Kind of reminded me of a played straight not fantasy/dreamy The Virgin Suicides, i preferred this. Thanks to TN for bringing it to my attention i may not have watched it and it now has a good chance of making my Countdown list.

The Babadook

This didn't hold up that well, it was a top ten horror this century until i saw it again. It's still got some good things going on but more than anything the performances fell apart for me most likely due to having first watched it without having a clue what it was about. Performances in Horrors aren't really a dealbreaker for me unless it's in a film like this where character relationships and certain aspects of a characters personality are so important for it to work. Still like it though.

Waiting For Guffman

My second Guest not counting Spinal Tap since he didn't direct it. It was funny but also got really annoying, i liked Best In Show a lot more.

-

The Ring

I hadn't watched this in about 12 years. It's really flawed and dated but still works a bunch. Think it's the type of film i'll need to watch once a decade if i don't want to end up hating it, i had forgotten a fair amount of the mystery and scenes and just how the atmosphere felt. The thing that surprised me most was this is much more of a mystery than a horror film, i mean it's definitely a horror but i thought there was a lot more scare scenes it's mainly Watts floating about investigating. Good thing too as the death faces and Samara's face look ridiculous now so the film needed something good to fall back on. I'm also into how absurdly GREEN this film is

always enjoyed the Japanese Ringu a little more. Creepy level is much higher for me.
and migod that is VERY green lol
Gonna have to rewatch Ringu as well, only seen that once about a decade ago. At the time i preferred The Ring but i think that was because Ringu was a lot more understated something i didn't really have the patience for then but could most likely appreciate more now.