Taz Goes to the Cinema 2020

→ in
Tools    

Hunfer Games: A Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes

Sadly a lot of flaws outweigh the positives here. Far too much tell and not show. coupled with pacing isssues that doesn not do the source material justice. Especially leaving so much weakened and depleted first act. Would've been better to split the source novel into two movies and expand apon both the first and third acts and beyond, instead of this. Will be curious if they do release an extended addition with the 1st and 3rd act expanded upon, but as is, am more than a bit underwhelmed and better to the original source prequel book than this adaptation that seeminglt felt so much on the editing room floor.Could've been much better directed and edited and given time to breathe by splitting into two and expended upon, but as it, it[s a bit of a diaapppointing misfire

Napoleon

As both a film fan and a student of history (and continue to have an abiding interest and passion for) I was genuinely looking forward to this, and genuinely disappointed by it. Like so much, the problems begin with the writing and the choices made thereafter, both from a directorial misteps and editorial choices. There isn't a whole lot about the motivations behind his ambitions, his genius of his military career both on or off the battlefiend, not to mantion any of his civic or legal changes he influenced and introduced, and the overly simplistic explaination his downfall.

It's a real shame that bringing in such a talented actor as Joaquin Phoenix, who has brough so many characters to life and given them so much depth has been hamstrung here into presenting such a notable figure as Napoleon as largely one dimensional. Large chunke of his life, career and achievements are either brushed over or completely omitted entirely. Setting being the historian aside and purely on a film fan basis, there is nothing about the character of the man that is really explored, beyond the prism of his relationship with his first wife, Josephine.

Given the runtime there are similiar films, series and literally any number of documentaries that will give a much better portrait and character study than what is offered here. Rumour has it there is much longer cut of the film that apple are keeping up their sleeves for now and I really hope this is true, even if it is held back for streaming, because this theatrical cut does not even come close to doing the subject, the character or the period justice. I do indeed hope this is true, and that much of what has been mentioned has been restored and expanded upon than what has been presented here.

Journey to Bethlehem

Christmas movie season already. :/ Attempts to be the Greatest Showman of religious Christmas movies, as it recounts the nativity story in this pop-centric musical that plays on the central tale of Mary (Fiona Palomo) and Joseph (Milo Manheim) and the circumstances of birth of Jesus, with Antonio Banderas as the 'evil' big bad of King Herod, with some curious creative choices, including the '3 Wise Men' being set up as the comic relief to a very meh effect. The songs are fine I guess, although completely forgettable and lack any of The Greatest Showman's bangers or earworms, although it all comes together at a decent clip and thankfully isn't that long a movie.

So this is a bit of a catch up. Have been going often enough to the cinema, but precious few new releases have been getting out. It has, however, been repleat with a lot of re-releases, either for anniversary or seasonal - all of which have sat through previously numerous times, so will list those here in the one post, will do a second one with the new releases

Saving Private Ryan
Scarface
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Love Actually
The Holiday
Elf
Scrooged
Jingle All the Way
Home Alone
Bad Santa
Die Hard
The Muppets' Christmas Carol
It's a Wonderful Life

Will try to get the other one up with thoughts on new releases Eileen, Wish, The Shift, What Happens Later, Wonka and Priscella sometime soon.

These next couple of posts are from those movies from the past few weeks and just wanted to update this before clock ticks over to 2024, needed to catch up on... Anyhow, while I can't remember the specific dates of visits, they were caught in this order and on the same visits - interspersed with those re-releases mentioned in my previous post....

Anyhow enough of a preface preamble, lol.

Eileen

A cool little neo-noir thriller, set in 1960's. Thomasin McKenzie's titular character works at a prison and is soon enamoured by glamourous new pyschiatrist (Anne Hathaway). The writing and characters are well enough realized (I believe it;s based on a book but don't know how close/loosely?), and it is worth checkig out. Surprised not really been any buzz for Hathaway for a Supporting Actress nom so far through this award season.

Wish

Animated flick, story is supposed to be a bit of a celebreation of all things Disney, wishing upon a star, and all that, but it really is just kind of naff, non-sensical & entirely underwhelming, including the forgettable songs. Won't be bothering again.

The Shift

Theo-fi flick with it's thinly veiled for it's religious theological themes and devoid of any subtlety. A premise of shifting to alternative realities in the hope and wait to be reunited, of resisting the temptations on offer yada, yada... It's fine for what it is, just why bother with writing of the premise when it's clearly so thin trying to be something it's not, thewriting is ham-fisted, entirely preachy and treats it's audience like idiots, that they won't get what it;s trying to say... over and over and over again.

What Happens Later

Simple, low budget two-hander rom-com of two people whowere in a relationship 25yrs before who happen to meet up by supposed co-incidence at an airport. It literally is just the 2 leads, Meg Ryan (who also directs) and David Duchovny, with a airport announcer over the tannoy interjecting from time to time. Very much in Ryan's wheelhouse here, and while not sure it needed a theatrical release, it's enjoyable enough and there are a lot worse ways of spending 90-odd minutes than this.

Wonka

At this time have actually sat through this twice now, once on it;s opening weekend and again on this Friday just past with different people. It's actually pretty decent, nice little bit of charm and the songs, while not immediate bangers are cute enough earworms that fit the film well enough. It's nonsense, it knows it is, but has fun with it along the way. From the director of the Paddington movies, and with a pretty decent cast, and wouldn't be surprised if it continues to draw return visits for families et al.

Priscella

Sofia Coppola's biopic serves as an interesting companion piece to last year's Elvis by Baz Luhrmann. Certainly gives a very different portrait of the man through the eyes of the young woman who was to become his eventual wife, and what the course of their relationship had upon her. Definitely worth checking out though, with some solid performances, especially for Cailee Speany (as Priscilla), and the overall direction and tone and substance is much more grounded than the flash and style of Luhrmann's work.

Anyone But You

Rom-com about a pair who after a fleeting brief encounter are set against each other and surprise, surprise are then drawn to having to deal with each other at an overseas wedding. If the plot of this sounds unimaginateive and overly familiar, it's because it is both of those - it's almost identical to so many such movies (with some tweaking), such as 2022's Ticket to Paradise for instance. This one sees the wedding party all jet off to Sydney, Australia and seriously, it feels like this movie was written by someone who once had a conversation with an Australian and based on that interaction alone came up with this. I struggled to get much of a laugh out of it - perhaps because of having lived in Sydney for a few years found it all just so entirely cringey, nor did I feel there was a whole lot of chemistry either. Meh.

Next Goal Wins

Taika Waititi's take on the true story of the American Samoa NT, who had never so much as scored a goal in football (soccer to those from the US), and are given a new coach (Christoph Waltz). Anyone who is a fan of Waititi's sense of humour will like it, while it muight not quite hit as much as Jojo Rabbit, What We Do in the Shadows, Hunt For the Wilderpeople or Boy, it is still good to see him returning to this sort of arena rather than the cookie cutter work required in the MCU. Will be checking it out again, hopefully with AD next time, as there were a couple of laughs that I had no idea what was happening)

Ferrari

Almost like a reply to 2021's Le Mans '66 (think it was called Ford v Ferrari in the US?), tells the story of Enzo Ferrari as he is tryig to save his company in the mid-late 50's. The film is populated by deeply unlikeable and unsympathetic characters, that are callous, cold and even cruel - especially in light of it's tragedy. The casting also could've been much better - is Adam Driver really the only actor that can be cast as an Italian in a leading role nowadays?). While there are some car enthusiasts who may get more out of it than I did, but on a movie basis, Le Mans '66 works on so many more levels and is an all round better film, including the performances and investing in characters that actually make you care so much more than here.

And that is 2023 at the movies done. See you all in 2024.

One Life

The true story of Nicholas Winton, who organized and saved the lives of hundreds of refugee children from Prague on the eve of WWII. The film is split between the events set in 1938-39 and 50 years later, when his remarkable humanitarian efforts come to be recognised. The cast is pretty good across the board and delivering solid performances, with the talent spread between the two periods, Johnny Flynn and Anthony Hopkins play Winton in the two periods. It is heart warming and even even though was partially aware of the events going into the film, still found it touching and even evoked a few tears, which few films actually do. Well worth checking out.

The Boy and the Heron

Japanese animated film from Studio Ghibli. This was a dubbed screening that had AD also, just to clarify and the voice cast that was assembled for this is pretty impressive - Christian Bale, Willem Defoe, Florence Pugh, Mark Hamill etc. A fantasy film about a youth in wartime Japan who goes to live with his aunt's family after the death of his mother, and once there stumbles upon a realm that is somewhere between life and death. Admittedly I did get a little confused at times, either through lost in translation or the visual storytelling not really being explained in the audio descriptions, which somtimes it's imposible to do in between the dialogue... after all film is primarily a visual medium and doesnt always lend itselt to be quickly described and summerized, and as it happens will be going to this again at my daughter's request, on Saturday, so hoping to fill in some of the blanks this left with me, so putting a pin in my thoughts on this until then.

Also sat through Next Goal Wins again, this time with AD. It didn't add a great deal but it was good to have, none the less. I should note it wasn't Christophe Waltz, but Michael Fassbender seemingly doing a very Christophe Waltz impression, lol.

One Life

Have sat through this twice now and it has brought a tear to my eye both times. Once, yeah, it happens now and then, maybe once every couple of years, but probably the first film in close to 30 years that a repeat viewing has still had that same impact and effect.

Priscella

This was an encore also. Sofia Coppella's biopic makes for a fanscinating companion piece to Baz Luhrmann's Elvis from a year or two ago. That with all it's glitz and glamour, this with its much more grounded feel. That with the toxic exploitation of the man's public persona, this with the toxic exploitation of the private life. Most i've been impressed with Cailee Spaeny in a movie (but in fairness most of her previous work has been very much a supporting role compared to the lead here).

Aquaman 2: The Lost Kingdom

Biff, bash in the splish, splash! = A whole lot of meh. Another comic book movie that just feels so cookie cutter at this point. Kind of liked the first one, but this just felt so boring, genuinely found it a struggle to keep paying attention.

The Boy and the Heron

Sat through this again, to try and fill in the blanks, so to speak, but was still left scratching my head a loittle. No doubt there is a lot more going on visually in the animation tht I am missing out on, but there are gaps in the narrative that I am still struggling to piece together cohesively, based on the dialogue and audio descriptions. Sorry. Clearly not the target audience, lol.

The Beekeeper

Jason Statham doing Jason Statham-y type things. If you're looking for meaningful story, character development or dialogue then you're in the wrong place. But if you're wanting a revenge action flick that doesn't outstay it's welcome too much then this could well be your cup of tea. No idea why Jeremy Irons was cast though, because really there is nothing that requires an actor of his quality or gravitas here. Overall, feels a bit John Wick-esque from director David Ayers, and have sat through a lot that've been far, far worse.

The Boys in the Boat

I always try to avoid spoilers, reviews, trailers et al before going to a movie, to go in and have an unsullied perspective nor having expectations raised or lowered going in. Unfortunately going into this I'd heard a few people in RL and online say some good things about this movie and maybe because of that I had raised expectations that I must say feel a little under from.

That is not to say it's not a bad movie - it is perfectly servicable for the story it is wanting to tell even if it is a bit formulaic - but I can't shake the feeling that I was wanting something more from this 'against the odds' sporting achievement tale of a rowing crew and their spectacular rise to Olympic gold in less than a year. Maybe my opinion of this would've been different had I not had my expectations raised, but while it's fine I can't help but feel like its lacking in some ways and falls well short of director George Clooney's better works, such as Good Night and Good Luck or The Ides of March.

Mean Girls (2024)

Caught this on Saturday, without AD, but that being said don't think I missed a great deal by not having it. A musical adaptation of the original from about 20-odd years ago, and it works relatively well for what it is. Although I can't say any of the songs have stayed with me (the songs in Wonka took a couple of sit throughs to click, so maybe it's me, lol), but there is a solid message in this comedy. The performances seemed adequate for what this movie is, and personally felt they were all generally fine but my daughter assures me that Renee Rapp was the standout.

These were from Monday 29/1/24...

The End we Start From

The UK has been hit by an enviromental disaster, that has seen water levels to rise, leading to cities such as London being abandoned as food shortages begin to impact the population. Into this. a young couple bring a baby into the world. Ther film effectively follows the story of the mother (the character is unnamed, the AD simply refers to her as 'Woman'), but perhaps 'Mother' would've been equally appropriate), who is seperated from her husband, R, as she with the baby in arms try to find him. That is the basic premise, and there is enough relateable realism to make it not entirely beyond the realms of possible, should such a ecological disaster were to befall, years from now.

The dialogue apparently was largely unscripted, and I'm assured that much of the story telling of the film is through the expressions of the characters that 'Woman' encounters, which does not translate easily or well to the AD, which makes it hard for me to really assess based on this, so to say the least there are gaps in my experience compared to what most others would have and that goes for the performances also.

Poor Things

Ok... so a Frankenstein-esque tale of self discovery for Bella Baxter. Set in the Victorian age, given new life with her own mad scientist, aptly she calls God (Willem Dafoe), then whisked away by the unscrupulous Duncan (terrific sleazeball play by Mark Ruffalo) in this Yorgos Lanthimos directed film. Has some of those same trademark oddities and every bit as worthwhile as Killing of the Sacred Deer, The Lobster and most recently prior to this, The Favourite - although thankfully not the jarring soundscape. Ruffalo is probably the stand out, but Emma Stone as the central protagonist is a strong lead as she discovers herself (on multiple levels).

Can understand why this film is so deeply divisive. Unlike what The Shape of Water was for the creature from the black lagoon legend in comparison, that felt so much more safe, and not nearly as uncomfortable and daring as what this one is. As such I cannot forsee the Academy being anywhere near as brave as they would need to be were they to reward this in the same way.

These were from Wednesday 31/1/24...

The Colour Purple (2023)

This musical adaptation boasts a great cast, and is as heartfelt without possessing the bluntness of Spielberg's 1980's version. To borrow a well known musical analogy, it's like 'spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down' compared to that film. It's well acted for the most part, the music - a fusion on blues, jazz and gospel - carries the film, but the tale minus the shock, the tragedy and violence, I cannot shake the feeling of being watered down and as a result loses it's impact.

All of Us Strangers

While the premise is intriguing and the 4 principals all are very commendable in terms of performance, especially Andrew Scott as the central character of Adam. Admittedly I am a little lost when it came to the conclusion of this film and really would like to hear from others who have sat through this. But am loathed to talk about it, lest it spoil anything for anyone. I would say it is well acted and even though it is based on a book, it gives the sense as though it is something almost semi-personal for the writer and director Andrew Haigh. I have no idea if that is his intent but irrespective of if it's how it actually is or not, it comes across that way and Haigh deserves notice for making it come across that way.

The Holdovers

Am surprised that this film has only just recentlyt been released here in the UK, when it very clearly is a Xmas movie, and in a year when there really has been a lack of these, it's all the more surprising that it is only now been released outside of the US.

A throwback dramedy, with Paul Giamatti in full crotchety mode, but as per the expectation to discover there are layers to this onion, much like last year's 'A Man Called Otto'. In this one, a teacher at a private boarding school is charged with the care of students having to remain on campus over the Christmas and New Years period in the early 70's... which is soon whittled down to just one, and at it's heart it is the connection in partuiicular between these 2, the teacher and student that is at the core. There is also one of the members of staff, who is grieving the loss of her own son and this being her first Christmas without him also, so there is plently going on here.

The trailer is a little misleading, as it does make it out to be more of a comedy, but that's not the film's fault (and for the record, I usually do try to avoid spoilers and trailers for that reason). It has it's nominations, but I can't see it getting close to a win in any of it's catagories as in each that I've come across feel there is better going on.

It's been a busy time for me relatively speaking before this past week, so only been able to catch up on a bunch of these in this past week, but that gets me up to date I think?

The Zone of Interest

This was heavy, heavy, heavy. Director Jonathon Glazer has crafted a historical drama that right I don't think will ever be able to forget. The soundscaping here is haunting. There is little to no score at all so it makes the soundscaping of the horrors happening at Auschwitz providing the backdrop to the seemingly idyllic, picturesque family home of the camp's commandant, Rudolf Hoss.

No amount of Freddy's, Jason's or any other concoction of fictional character's combined bodycount will ever equate even a single day of the true evil and horrors that occured there under that man's direction, and yet even that is sort of secondary here in this portrait of a monsterous family man and his kin. Even within the home, the family seemingly normalizing, casualizing and indeed idolizing all of this and even more is chilling. The soundscaping is nightmare fuel and that alone is wortthy of making this film worthy of sitting through, but there is so much more.

Not quite sure it stuck the landing (ending) quite right though, but it was important to at least visually acknowledge the human cost of the terror that Hoss oversaw in a way that throughout the film is the soundscape alone, but overall It is well written and directed, but that sound... that is goign to stay with me for a long, long time.

Migration

After the heavy, heavy that was Zone of Interest, I really was just sitting through this as a palate cleanser of sorts, especially as I was scheduled to go to the celebrial 2001 after this. so was looking for something light in between. Not something needed thinking much about or needed careful attention to be paid to it, and on that basis, I guess it worked. Didn't do a great deal for me, but obviously I'm not the target audience here for a start, and secondly I probably wasn't super invested into this at the time, so perhaps not fair to fully judge this movie at this time under the circumstances.

2001: A Space Odyssey

***The cinema that I most frequently attend is doing a sci-fi month, so there will be a bunch of classics over the next few weeks that are one-off screenings, starting with this***

I'm going to preface this by saying this most recent sit through of this movie was without AD. Now, I have sat through this movie over the yeatrs, back when I could see and with the aid of AD since, but on this occasion the screening did not have AD, so with so many large sections of the film that are without dialogue and left with jus the score, soundtrack and soundscape to work from, it left me with time to ponder this question and I'm curious what others think of this also, but I found myself asking the question - is this still a good movie?

I don't mean to diminish it's importance as a landmark piece of cinematic history alongside the likes of Jazz Singer, The Wizard of Oz, Citizen Kane etc, and that can never be taken away. Let alone how pioneering and influential it has been to so many films that have been influenced and entire genre for that matter that have followed in it's footsteps - or indeed inspired so many film-makers of a generation, and it does something that so few movies do nowadays, in that Kubrick trusts his audience. But for all that was completely visionary and revolutionary in 1969, is it still a good movie in 2024?

I've raised this question in a more dedicated existing 2001 thread, so perhaps if you have thoughts, add them to... https://www.movieforums.com/communit...74#post2437574

Argylle

The promotion and publicity for this movie has been entirely misleading, but I have to mention it because my theory is though, it's all part of a larger joke. From the trailer (which generally I try to avoid, but caught this one) that has Dua Lipa and Henry Cavill featured prominantly, the same couple at the centre of the poster apparently, the likes of John Cena being wheeled out on the Late Night circuit to promote the movie etc, it has taken 'bait and switch' to another level, and considering that is what both Wonka and Mean Girls did also, I'm guessing there is something of a trend of this type coming out of Hollywood at the moment.

I get that this movie has been coming in for a fair amount of criticism and all that, but I actually had fun with this, and I wasn't alone from the screening I was at, there were few people laughting etc and my daughter quite liked it also. Ok, yes there are issues here and it is entirely absurd, but that didn't stop from having fun with it. The twists are there, probably too many, but that is part of it's excesses, the plot borrows from so many other sources, from Romancing the Stone (or more recently, Lost City etc) to The Long Kiss Goodnight, even Mr Right (another Sam Rockwell lol) are on display. The casting is fun, but Bryce Dallas Howard, I can't say she was the ideal for this role, at least not in my mind, think if there is a saggy componant to the cast it is hers, and because so much of the film depends on her, that could be the reason? idkl... may have to revisit it at sdome point down the line.

Obviously some of the criticism others have had is the apparently dodgy CGI and blue screening, but I can't comment on that, the AD narration was fun and I was more than happy enough with that, so apparently aspects like when Cavills Agent Argylle flickers back and forth in 'reality' doesn't really bother me in the way it seems it does others.

Overall, I feel like It's trying to be what Galaxy Quest is for Trekkies, is one way of looking at it. All in all, I've sat through far worse, but I've also sat through far so called 'better' films and not nearly enjoyed them as much.

Gassed Up

Think a modern British urban take on Mean Streets. If you can envisage that, then you're 90% there in following the film, because a lot of the dialogue is heavily used with colloqual slang, which the ear does take time to get used to, with quite a bit of rhyming, rapping rhythms to the speech. It follows a petty criminal crew in modern day London, who specialize in snatch and grabs on mopeds/scooters etc, but quickly learn that there is Eastern European organized crime figures behind what they are doing. Ash, is effectively a defacto parental figure for his sister, while trying to earn and save to help his mother get free of her addictions, is caught between that, his own ambitions and loyalty to his friends and the pressures of his predicament. Sadly it does leave a few plot threads unresolved.

Interstellar (10th Anniversary)

Nolan's classic has been re-released for it's 10 year anniversary as part of the sci-fi month at the local cinema. This is the first time I've sat through it since it's original theatrical run and while it perhaps could be trimmed by 10-15min, it still stands up well, both in concept and execution, originality and even in tribute. Was also glad to have the benefit of the AD (lack of which is the reason why I've not sat through it prior to this, since original release. Great cast, well written and directed.

Madam Webb

So, I had gone to the cinema with the anticipation of catching the new Juliette Binoche film, 'The Taste of Things', which was listed as having th AD/translation but did not, and let's just say my French is not of good enough standard that I'd be able to sit through an entire film, lol. As I had plans for Les Miserables after this, when I had to switch to a different film, this was pretty much the only option I had.

Jesus wept, this was bad. Writing was dreadful, acting and delivery was awful, the direction.. wait? there was direction here? All of it stuck in a blender... or was it a blander? :P ... and hit puree. What came out on the other side is this gunky sludge.

Not sure what it says that literally whateve the dumbest possible choice could be made by the characters could be made, they were made. A 10-11 year old primary school student could write better than this. I just can't. Honestly, I'm not even sure it knows what it's trying to be. Avoid.

Les Miserables (2012)

This is the new 2024 remastered re-release, but this is the first time sitting through this for me. Am familiar with the book and one of the earlier film adaptations (with the likes of Liam Neeson, Clare Danes, Geoffrey Rush etc), and the stage musical, but this is the first time sitting through this particular movie.

I will say it's a far better adaptation that Tom Hooper's later version of Cats was, but when that is the basis for comparison, it's not exactly a high bar (and yes, I know he did the King's Speech, The Damned United and The Danish Girl also, but referring to his musical adaptations). The cast broadly delivers, lead by Hugh Jackman, Amanda Seyfried and Anne Hathaway (essentially winning a Best Supporting Oscar for singing 'I Dreamed a Dream'), even Russell Crowe is fine here as I had heard some people previously comments denegrading his efforts, even if probably preferred Geoffrey Rush's take on the character better. I know it's not fair to compare versions, but sometimes it's hard not to. I wish the screening had had AD (as was advertized) but alas no... then again, with a sung-through musical it's hard to know exactly how... as is the case with Hamilton, it's hard for the AD to not get lost in the mix). Glad to have finally sat through it at least now though.

Bob Marley: One Love

The trend of music biopics continues with this one about the reggae legend, centred on the years 1976-78, which covers the period of a narrow escape from assassination in his native Jamaica, the recording of the Exodus album in London, and the return to his homeland to be a figure of unification and peace to a fractured nation.

Whilst it is hitting on these notable moments, I will give props to both Kingsley Ben-Adir, who has the physicality and charisma as Marley and Lashana Lynch, as his wife, Rita, but it is let down by the structure and writing that feels more like a checklist than it does in the exploration of that man. It's probably just as while there is a checklist, because the direction, the structure and youthful flashbacks are very formulaic also.

The legend, his life and his music deserve better, but taking the film buff hat off and just as a fan of his music, I was able to enjoy it for what it is, and such is the timeless greatness of the music that it has such wide appeal, there is little surprise that it is doing so well. There are undoubtedly worse biopics out there, but there are better ones also.

The Iron Claw

This tragic true story is well told and well acted, led by Zac Efron. Am really surprised it didn't make a bit more of a dent dueing award season actually (although not taking anything away from those other movies), but it still works as an emotional family tragedy and drama, even for those like myself with precious little knowledge of the world of wrestling.

Dune Part Two

I'm guessing the visuals is what is getting people all over with this, and while I liked it well enough, there are times when it felt more like like a checklist; the sci-fi 12 tasks of Hercules, so to speak. Even as a decent adaptation (although I'm pretty sure it omitted all of the mentats entirely in this one), it's still only half a movie, and didn't find the soundscaping anywhere near as good as in the first film - then again I know im in the minority here.

Lisa Frankenstein

It's a shame that this movie is getting pretty much completely overlooked at the moment, because it's actually a pretty funny movie. A horror comedy directorial debut from Zelda Williams (Robin Williams' daughter) that feels like a blend of late 80s/early 90s Tim Burton and Heathers, with a cool soundtrack (Jesus & Mary Chain, Pixies etc). Hopefully it does find it's audience, because it deserves to. Has cult classic written all over this!

Wicked Little Letters

Not a bad yarn abou8t a little remembered true story from the early 1920's. There is a smattering of humour, although not nearly as much as you'd expect given the premise, but it's the performances, especially from Jessie Buckley, Olivia Coleman and superbly aided by Timothy Spall and Anjana Vasan that really catch fire here.