Not just 4 kids

Tools    

Ok I have a 6 year old and almost a 2 year old...
I am looking for movies that are good for kids AND adults....
I have all the newer stuff, but older wise I am coming up blank...
I have
Monster Squad
Last Unicorn
Legend (Direcotrs Cut)<--VERY COOL
Dark Crystal
Labyrinth
Secret of NiMH
and....
blahhhh.... big a$$ brain block.. nothing else comes up.
My son likes scary so I was thinking maybe Troll.... but what are some more good movies that would go well for kids & me....

Any help here appreciated

I'm assuming you are aware of the newer Disney and Pixar films, so I won't bother with any of those. I have 2 girls(11-4), my 4 yr old is still into all anime films(Above companys, but also much worse ) but my older likes to watch more grown-up movies. Here is a small list of what we like together.

Casper
Flubber
The Grinch
101/102 Dalmations
Mouse Hunt
Stuart Little
Babe I-II
Dinosaur
Gremlins
Mighty Joe Young
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
The Indian in the Cupboard
Inspector Gadget
and of course The Wizard of OZ

We also like Yellow Submarine. That is, until she's older and liking Dads music isn't cool anymore. Right now, however, she loves them.

Dark Crystal is both of our favorites, but I see you listed that. I personally don't like all of the movies listed above, but I can tolerate them all. Besides, it's really about getting the chance to snuggle with your favorite people while you still can. The last couple of years shes really been into Star Wars and Sci-fi, since she knows I'm a poor-man astronomer, and we talk about space, life, and theology alot. I feel rather lucky

Don't forget, there is a huge list of older movies that young children will always love. Like Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang, Willy Wonka, The Parent Trap, The Love Bug, etc.

Good luck and happy veiwing with your wee ones!
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Originally posted by FiLm Fr3aK
Secret of NiMH
Good call, Bunny! I love that flick. When I was a little kid, I thought it was just about the coolest thing I'd ever seen. It was a cartoon, but it was oddly mature. I loved it. Love love loved it. I love it to this day.

Anyway, a lot of Disney flicks come to mind...and the Pixar films, too. Almost all of them are as enjoyable to adults as they are to children. The Emperor's New Groove stands out as unusually funny for the older crowd. I laughed so hard in the theater seeing that one...I couldn't believe how funny it was. Highly recommended.

I have a five-year-old daughter, and she's not real picky on movies, but here's a few that we can all agree on, for whatever reason:

Shrek
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Harry Potter
The Road to El Dorado
Spy Kids
The Iron Giant
Space Jam
Dr. Dolittle II
Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey

I also agree with a lot of the ones already mentioned, although I had forgotten all about The Dark Crystal. We'll be renting that one soon.

And if your son likes scary or sort-of-scary, go Beetlejuice. Selena really, really likes that movie, and I thought it would freak her out.

As I think of more, I'll be posting them. And thanks for starting this thread--it's helping me, too!

Beetlejuice
how in the crap did I forget that one?
Good call.. good call.. i really appreciate all the posts..
I was trying to think of things I remember from when I was a kid. BeetleJiuce he will definately dig.

He loves scary stuff... Scream 2 is one of his favoritesoh and The Lost Boys,, he yells at 'em on the screen... "DONT GO IN THERE." But like Friday the 13th and that stuff no way.. he is out of the room.... He loved Signs, so I guess I'll be buying that asap. We have all the Disney & Pixar stuff available... mostly anything new we have... so I am looking for more of like 10-15 years or older.... but ANY ideas are good.... Keep em coming!

Hey I kjust thought of another one..
Goonies....

Get Low, Get Low, Get Low
Mary Poppins
Willy Wonka is a good one that others suggested
Stewart Little
Honey, I shrunk the kids
Little Monsters
Ninja Turtles
Snow White
Disney Movies are movies that the whole family can watch together!!

Plus a lady fan of PimpDaShizzle V2.0 and Most importantly JRS

I'm not old, you're just 12.
The Muppet Movie! I actually like this film more as a sort of adult than I did as a kid, and I LOVED it as a kid! I used to watch it every single time it came on channel 38. I now have the DVD and it just gets better every time I watch it. Do not raise kids who have never watched the Muppets. That is just wrong. The Great Muppet Caper is also good too. It's sort of like a Monty Python/Marx Brothers movie with puppets. Also, Chicken Run and Wallace And Grommit are very fun kids flicks and won't bore the hell out of adults. I don't have kids, and I liked them.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

A novel adaptation.
Well, I think Titus would make a good rent for both kids and adults!

A Nightmare Before Christmas
I love to watch this film, and I loved it as a kid also, so you might want to check it out. (if you haven't already)

Note: Seriously, don't let your kids see Titus, I was kidding.
I don't want to be responsible for the lifetime that your children would spend in therapy, and my subsequent death at your hands would also be a minus.
Don't let them see Titus

i my self am 24 and do not have kids but i do remember some films that i used to watch when i was a kid. one of them being: Krull

anyone seen this??

Put me in your pocket...
I realize this is an older thread and I hope it's ok to make it active again.

FiLm Fr3aK I'm sure you've already looked into everyone's choices, and many great movies have already been named. I have a few other's I've enjoyed with my kid's (7 and 9) and I wanted to share..

VeggieTales (I highly recommend anything from this wonderful series. They are comming out with their first full length movie soon.)

A Muppet Christmas Carol
Muppet Classic Theater....Where 6 Fairy Tales Take a Wacky Twist
(very funny)
The NeverEnding Story
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie
(the first one when Amy Jo Johnson was still the pink Ranger and they fight the evil Ivan Ooze.)

Anastasia
Scooby Doo on Zombie Island
Scooby Doo and the Witches Ghost
Pokemon Movies 1, 2 and 3
Jimmy Neutron Boy Genius
Sailor Moon R, S and Super S
The Card Captor Sakura Movie

Richie Rich
The Parent Trap
(1996? version over the first)
Madeline
George of the Jungle
Babes in Toyland
(1961 w/ Annette Funicello)
Cats & Dogs
The Mask
(Jim Carey)
Mrs. Doubtfire
Galaxy Quest
Hook

Also, when my daughter was younger (3-6) she really enjoyed musicals like Singing in the Rain, Harvey Girls and White Christmas.

Dwarf Tosser #1
How could you forget "The Princess Bride"!?

I'm sure you've seen it, but if you haven't, there is a fair bit of innuendo in there, nothing that a 6 year old can appreciate anyhow. Overall however, a great movie for them, imho.

Also to follow on from Tim Burton's "Beetlejuice", there's also "Edward Scissorhands"...

several that my 4 y/o brother and i both really like are (though not all of them are readily available):

-the 5,000 fingers of dr. t (1953)--> (doctor seuss wrote the song lyrics and story, and designed the sets, which alone makes this worth seeing. besides that though, it's a really great story of a boy at the mercy of his diablolical and megalomaniacal piano teacher.)

kiki's delivery service/my neighbor totoro/laputa (especially laputa): mid-late 80's miyazaki animation, that's about all you should need to know.

twilight of the cockroaches (1987): one of the wierder mixes of live action and cel animation that i've seen, but very cool.

night on the galactic railroad (1985): i did not think my brother would like this very slow animated telling of the classic novel by miyazawa (for retellings of miyazawa literature though, gorsch the cellist is way better, just as the original story is better than the novel of night on the galactic railroad) but for some reason, he loves it. i think it's pretty good too, though definately not for everyone.

My daughter (5)watched Legend and cheered when Darkness fell (pun almost intended).

She picked up Labyrinth in the video store and i happily rented it for her. Does this make sense? She got FREAKED out by those little muppet goblin dudes that swarm at David Bowie's feet. I'm talking not sleeping for a week heebie jeebies. Jeez. How do you ever know what's gonna freak them out?

--> And that's sympathetic laughter.

I had the same experience with Mars Attacks!. She wasn't even watching it with us or anything like that--she just wandered in, caught one look at the Martians going, "Ack! Ack ack ACK!" and flipped out, hiding her face in my shoulder. We had to turn the movie off, because she wouldn't even go back to play in her room by herself.

Needless to say, there were three in the big bed that night.

The Fat of the Mailbox
I'd have to agree with LordSlaytan, Who Framed Rodger Rabbit and with Mary Loquacious on Shrek. And Monkeypunch is right on with the Muppet Movie
Disney movies are enjoyable for adults, espically the new ones.
also;
Willy Wonka and the Chocloate Factory (oh Mary got that one too)
Babe (LordSlaytan got that one as well)
And I rememberwatching Kindergarden Cop and Problem Child with my parents when I was a kid.
And thats all I can think of. I'm not the movie buff that some of you guys (and gals) are.

Seraph of the Void
Excellent choices

Be careful of Beetlejuice because there are two versions of it
a PG version and a Disneyfied version without many scenes and curses.

remember

"NICE F#@$%ing MODEL!!"(Grabs crotch)

That is gone in the disney version

You might try Laputa or Kiki's delivery service

Monster's inc

Pee wee Big adventure is surreal but kids should like it while adults will get the over your head jokes.
"When I said my quarters were cold, I did not mean "Oh, I think it is a little chilly in here. Perhaps I'll throw a blanket on the bed." No! I said it was cold! As in, "Oh look - my left arm has snapped off like an icicle and shattered on the floor!"

Put me in your pocket...
Kiki Delivery Service, I bet my daughter would like that one. Thanks.

Originally posted by LordSlaytan
Nice list Aniko, keep 'em coming!!
Thank you LordSlaytan. I did happen to think of some others....

Balto I and II
E.T.
Home Alone
Harry and the Hendersons
It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World
(my oldest loves this)

I guess depending on the age of the child...

Uncle Buck
Back to the Future
What About Bob?
Overboard

Originally posted by Toose
She picked up Labyrinth in the video store and i happily rented it for her. Does this make sense? She got FREAKED out by those little muppet goblin dudes that swarm at David Bowie's feet. I'm talking not sleeping for a week heebie jeebies. Jeez. How do you ever know what's gonna freak them out?
That’s exactly why my daughter (9, but I think she was 7 at the time) never finished watching
The Princess Bride. I absolutely love this movie, but she freaked out with the forest scene. She hasn’t wanted to see it since.