Most Overrated Movies

Tools    

MC for the Great Underground Circus
Agree on all but Pulp, God, Shaw
I know many people like Pulp. It has its good things, but ultimately, Tarantino has [IMHO] better movies. One of his that I really enjoy is From Dusk till Dawn, for the whole silliness of it if for nothing else.

These overrated threads depress me.
Yeah, I know what you mean, it's all so negative.

I can handle the hatred of Pulp Fiction and The Shawshank redemption despite being in my top10, but damn, I'm more depressed by the presence of Gravity there than I should be.

I can handle the hatred of Pulp Fiction and The Shawshank redemption despite being in my top10, but damn, I'm more depressed by the presence of Gravity there than I should be.
Interesting. What is it about Gravity that you enjoyed?

Interesting. What is it about Gravity that you enjoyed?
Gravity is an extremely immersive experience to me. The camera placement, use of shots and takes, just about everything in the visual language allows to portray effectively the feeling of weightlessness, the immensity of the universe and the existential angst of the hollowness it represents. This is an interesting take on science fiction because it is more physical than hypothetical or metaphorical. It makes me feel the anxiety of the main character as a first person experience, and if we talk about the conclusion...
WARNING: "Gravity" spoilers below
...how something as simple and mundane as a beach is made to look extraordinary and bewildering just with the camera work is amazing. It is a great catharsis to a very heartfelt emotional ride to me.

It is also a basic survival story and I actually mean basic as a compliment. It puts aside anything accesory in the narrative and it talks about survival as an instinctive impulse, a character with a wrecked up family life, who feels alone and has no goals, but still, when push comes to shove, is scared of death, and this fear is too strong to overcome. Sandra Bullock made a really compelling work in a role that is not easy to perform.

In short, what I like about Gravity is its astounding ability to enhance feelings on what otherwise is a very simple idea. It's cinematographic expression at one of its very best.

Jurassic Park, Raging Bull, Goodfellas, The Prestige, The Godfather, Frankenstein, The Searchers, The Wild Bunch, A Streetcar Named Desire, Life of Brian, The Pianist, On the Waterfront, Braveheart, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Chinatown, Zombieland, The South Park movie, To Kill a Mockingbird, Them!, Muppet's Take Manhattan, Muppets (2011), Creature from the black lagoon, Casablanca, Cabin in the Woods, Annie Hall, Halloween, Rambo part 2, Arrival, Toy Story 3, The Haunting, Straight Outta Compton, Grave of the Fireflies, Sin City, Room, It's a Wonderful Life, Planet of the Apes, Big Lebowski, Usual Suspects, Mad Max 2, Night of the Living Dead, Child's Play, Lego Movie, Matrix, Nightmare on elm street, Up, Blazing Saddles, Army of Darkness.

Gravity is an extremely immersive experience to me. The camera placement, use of shots and takes, just about everything in the visual language allows to portray effectively the feeling of weightlessness, the immensity of the universe and the existential angst of the hollowness it represents. This is an interesting take on science fiction because it is more physical than hypothetical or metaphorical. It makes me feel the anxiety of the main character as a first person experience, and if we talk about the conclusion...
WARNING: "Gravity" spoilers below
...how something as simple and mundane as a beach is made to look extraordinary and bewildering just with the camera work is amazing. It is a great catharsis to a very heartfelt emotional ride to me.

It is also a basic survival story and I actually mean basic as a compliment. It puts aside anything accesory in the narrative and it talks about survival as an instinctive impulse, a character with a wrecked up family life, who feels alone and has no goals, but still, when push comes to shove, is scared of death, and this fear is too strong to overcome. Sandra Bullock made a really compelling work in a role that is not easy to perform.

In short, what I like about Gravity is its astounding ability to enhance feelings on what otherwise is a very simple idea. It's cinematographic expression at one of its very best.
Well put. What you thought of Apollo 13 and The Right Stuff in juxtaposition?

Well put. What you thought of Apollo 13 and The Right Stuff in juxtaposition?
I've seen none yet, but I've heard very good things about Apollo 13 (and particularly about its scientific accuracy), so I'll have to check it out. What do you think about them?

Legend in my own mind
I know what you mean. I realise that it's all opinions but other peoples opinions annoy me if they don't agree with my own. I assume that some of my opinions annoy others in the same way, but I can't understand why they would as my opinions are the correct ones.

Mine is an opinion that I respect;

I know what you mean. I realise that it's all opinions but other peoples opinions annoy me if they don't agree with my own. I assume that some of my opinions annoy others in the same way, but I can't understand why they would as my opinions are the correct ones.

Mine is an opinion that I respect;

I've seen none yet, but I've heard very good things about Apollo 13 (and particularly about its scientific accuracy), so I'll have to check it out. What do you think about them?
Apollo 13 was nerve wrecking in the theater. The same experience you had with Gravity is the one I had with Apollo 13, hence why I don't take Gravity [which came years after it] that surprisingly.

The right stuff is interesting in regards to the Space race thing. You see the astronauts getting prepped, their personal lives, the USA's general anxiety. Very well put together.

Welcome to the human race...
Like SC said elsewhere, it gets boring seeing people talk about the same movies over and over again.

The most loathsome of all goblins
Gilda (1946)

Rita Hayworth is worth drooling over as always and there are a few great moments, but in the end it's little more than a soap opera, and damn does it drag in the second act. The way this picture is considered a timeless classic confounds me.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
OK.
Now, everyone go back and edit their posts to list whether they watched their overrated choice on release, or years later on streaming media!

Seriously though, I am genuinely curious how much of a factor context is here. Take for instance The Matrix. I am only using this as an example, but I will happily admit that at the time I found it groundbreaking. While there were a few dark gems of science fiction such as Dark City or 12 Monkeys floating around, my memory of science fiction at that time was polluted with by-the-numbers films like Independence Day, Event Horizon (shivers), and Men in Black. I say by-the-numbers in regards to casting, simplicity of plot, or pushed blockbuster intended hype. In that context, The Matrix was quite unique (IMO). Granted The Matrix had hype, but I believe that was more to do with how the trailers only teased at what the hell was going on in that movie, which typically are notorious for just being a mini outline of the movie, exposing all of the possible plot points. I remember a comment that it may have been the first time WB allowed their logo to be distorted for the first time during the intro title sequences (I may very well be wrong on that, but that memory is popping up for some reason!).

I think if I had waited until now to see that movie---out of its context of where sci-fi was at its time of release---, then I probably would laugh in watching a movie (with now mediocre effects) taking itself way too seriously.

As far as to the OP's topic:
Little Miss Sunshine pissed me off.
ID4 (if that wasn't already obvious!)
Titanic.
Shutter Island.
Interstellar
(cries).
The Martian.
Probably Avatar. Though gorgeous, it was so simple and should have been a lot more given the scale of production.
and Wing Commander. Ha! Just kidding. That movie had no hype. It just sucked. Bad.
hm... why am I listing mostly only sci-fi!?

Oh. I loved Kane, btw.

OK.
Now, everyone go back and edit their posts to list whether they watched their overrated choice on release, or years later on streaming media!

Seriously though, I am genuinely curious how much of a factor context is here. Take for instance The Matrix. I am only using this as an example, but I will happily admit that at the time I found it groundbreaking. While there were a few dark gems of science fiction such as Dark City or 12 Monkeys floating around, my memory of science fiction at that time was polluted with by-the-numbers films like Independence Day, Event Horizon (shivers), and Men in Black. I say by-the-numbers in regards to casting, simplicity of plot, or pushed blockbuster intended hype. In that context, The Matrix was quite unique (IMO). Granted The Matrix had hype, but I believe that was more to do with how the trailers only teased at what the hell was going on in that movie, which typically are notorious for just being a mini outline of the movie, exposing all of the possible plot points. I remember a comment that it may have been the first time WB allowed their logo to be distorted for the first time during the intro title sequences (I may very well be wrong on that, but that memory is popping up for some reason!).

I think if I had waited until now to see that movie---out of its context of where sci-fi was at its time of release---, then I probably would laugh in watching a movie (with now mediocre effects) taking itself way too seriously.

As far as to the OP's topic:
Little Miss Sunshine pissed me off.
ID4 (if that wasn't already obvious!)
Titanic.
Shutter Island.
Interstellar
(cries).
The Martian.
Probably Avatar. Though gorgeous, it was so simple and should have been a lot more given the scale of production.
and Wing Commander. Ha! Just kidding. That movie had no hype. It just sucked. Bad.
hm... why am I listing mostly only sci-fi!?

Oh. I loved Kane, btw.
All the movies I listed I saw them at the time of release, And though no other movie will ever compare to 2001 [in the sci.fi department, as well as being as thoughtful as it is] I can't honestly compare later releases to it [though many attempts are still made to resemble it. Ex: Moon] because it's simply not fair at all.

I also doubt that if someone here who says that citizen Kane is overrated, saw it on the theater when it first came out.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
All the movies I listed I saw them at the time of release, And though no other movie will ever compare to 2001 [in the sci.fi department, as well as being as thoughtful as it is] I can't honestly compare later releases to it [though many attempts are still made to resemble it. Ex: Moon] because it's simply not fair at all.

I also doubt that if someone here who says that citizen Kane is overrated, saw it on the theater when it first came out.

Fair point up top, and I think I agree.

I think Citizen Kane might be one of the few exceptions in the intent of my post I just meant it all as a broad curiosity as to how context might play a role in our perception. For those that apply, that is.

Fair point up top, and I think I agree.

I think Citizen Kane might be one of the few exceptions in the intent of my post I just meant it all as a broad curiosity as to how context might play a role in our perception. For those that apply, that is.

it does pay a role indeed, and you are not mistaken at all. Some movies share the same core concept, and the first that employed that concept are usually considered as "the classic". However, some later movies [intentionally taking from the first one or not at all] may deliver that core concept better.

An example:

[IMHO, obviously] I prefer a 1000 times Cronenbergs version of the Fly to the original. They are different altogether yet share the same concept [scientist invents machine and experiment goes wrong]. This is nothing new of course, but the way it was handled made it far more interesting [the slow mutation rather than the immediate one] and appealing than what the original presented. And it's not just shock value, though indeed it presents a lot of it. There's a whole plethora a sub.text happening in that particular movie that far exceeds what the original had to offer.

But I do get what you say. I read it whole the bloody time, specially from younger generations.