Step Right In! Witness A Swan Discuss Cinema!

→ in
Tools    

I agree with your rating Swan. Loved that movie! Pretty much the best horror movie of the decade so far. I'm curious, which part disturbed you?

Adaptation (Spike Jonze, 2002) -
+

I didn't mean to write a review for this film. I just wanted to do a little write-up for the 9th HoF thread, but it grew and grew. Here's what I wrote:

Just gave Adaptation a rewatch.

Actually, I had no intention to. It's been a movie I've always liked in a very consistent way, since I saw it when I was maybe 16. So I figured I didn't need to give it another watch. The reason I did was unrelated to this HoF. I recently watched Charlie Kaufman discuss screenwriting (and, of course, that means Kaufman talking about life in general) for forty minutes in this video. I have always liked Kaufman, and considered him one of the best modern screenwriters. After watching that video, I decided he was my favorite screenwriter ever. So, I want to go through his great works again, and I started with rewatching this.

I just connect to Kaufman's material. He f*cks with the screenwriting medium, doesn't break the rules but instead shows there are no rules, manages to be charming and laugh-out-loud funny (I don't laugh often during movies, but did countless times watching this tonight), and still always manages to show humans, especially himself, in a very real, authentic, profound way. I really connect to Kaufman's character in this film. I know that might make me seem pathetic, and maybe I am, but Kaufman shows there's a beauty to being pathetic and sad. He finds profoundness in misery.

Anyway. I'm really into screenwriting right now, just finished the rough draft of a screenplay for the first time in my life, and Kaufman is probably the biggest inspiration for me at this time. I've learned from him that if you do anything with your script, be human. Show your own humanity. And you'll make something worth reading.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
Sorry I'm late Swany, I agree 10000% with the Witch, I too felt like it was tailor made for me the subject matter was absolutely enthralling and everything from the acting and sets to the lighting and general atmosphere felt so genuine and real, that you feel the tension build and manifest on such a grand level for a film like this. I honestly considered going to see it a second time afterwards at next showing, if I didn't have things to do.

Nice, Clouds, glad it resonated with you too.

I also want to see it again already, I hope it gets an even wider release so I can go somewhere a little closer.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
It was the first film in years and years to elicit that sort of feeling from me, dude. Also glad to know someone found this film as brilliant as I did. I hope a lot of people see it and love it because it really deserves the credit it gets, but I have a nagging feeling it will be genre fans singing it's praises and the general public giving it the old "Jog On"

Synecdoche, New York (Charlie Kaufman, 2008) -

I know I tend to be hyperbolic about things I love, but I always mean it.

I think this is the easiest five stars I've ever dished out. Every once in a while, a film speaks to you on a really grand level. Last time I felt so attached to a movie like this was with Take Shelter. And my experience rewatching Synecdoche, New York, tonight, was just as good - if not better.

What's interesting is I basically tried writing a prequel to this film when I was a senior in high school, without knowing it. I'm talking conceptually - I hadn't thought of this movie at all at the time. I was working on a film with a lot of surreal/abstract elements, about a high schooler trying to figure out life. It was Synecdoche, New York, but instead of being a reflection of life, it was about the search for meaning in life. It never came to be and if I read it now I might cringe at my 17 year old philosophical ramblings. But I think if art is about expressing your inner humanity, that time was me at my most artistic. So it makes sense a film like Synecdoche, New York would speak to me.

I saw this film years ago. Even before that script I was writing. I was maybe 16. And while I liked it, I think it spoke to me in a different way. This is what's amazing about this movie. It's a movie you can watch every decade and respond to it in an incredibly different way. I'm really excited for future viewings, when I'm older, to see what I take away from it then. I expect my connection to its profoundness will only increase. And I fully expect to, one day, cry because of this film.

It's such an amazing script. Though it is cryptic and surreal at times, it is entirely easy to follow with your heart. That's the best way I can describe it. I never felt like I was taken out of the film, and I think that's because the film grabs your heart and guides it to its very end. Perhaps it's the best script I've ever read, perhaps that's a hyperbolic statement by a hyperbolic fella when he's feeling in the moment, but it's what I feel as I write this.

There's so much to love about Kaufman and his writing. The main thing for me is the insights he give. I just don't see this kind of profoundness often. I also love how he seems to see art as a window into our humanity and into life. Which is exactly what it is. And for me right now, there is no one as inspirational as him. Through his films, Kaufman encourages me to write, and to write with my core.

I like what you said about the way Kauffman portrays art and I agree. What I love about this movie though, is I think he could have had Hoffman's character be almost anything because the human suffering element is that no matter what we do in life we never geel like it's enough, and we never feel like it's perfect. We are always left unfulfilled and with a desire to do more to be fulfilled. It is both our curse and our blessing at the same time. Our curse because we are rarely satisfied with our state but our blessing because it is what makes us strive to do better. I love NY so much. Kauffman is a genius.

Check out my review from a couple years ago and let me know what you think.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless (Michel Gondry, 2004) -

I think Synecdoche, New York is the best thing Charlie Kaufman ever did. But if that didn't exist, I'd place my bets on Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. It's an incredible showcase of his talents. More than that though, it's a fascinating mixture of unique talents and visions - Kaufman's ability to write unconventionally and yet speak to the very core of humanity, Gondry's wildly creative and quirky directing style (how the hell he did some of the effects in this film, I don't know), and a dedicated cast, not least of which includes an inspired Jim Carrey. Together they created a special film about something we all feel, told in a way that is remarkably intimate and personal.

In terms of screenwriting - I'm speaking as a growing writer here - Kaufman both sets the bar high but also makes that bar feel reachable. Because we all have creativity and humanity inside of us. It's only a matter of unleashing it - or, more specifically, not being afraid to unleash it.

Se7en (David Fincher, 1995) -

Se7en has long been a favorite of mine. There are few movies I think reach this level of perfection. It is taut, with no filler or fluff. It is dark, but meaningful. And everything is on an equal playing field. The direction, script, cinematography and acting are all on par with each other.

It's fascinating watching a movie like this right now for me. My mindset watching films is interesting now that I've been writing, because I can watch a movie in a "this is a script translated to screen" kind of feel. I have an easier time now, noticing directorial choices. And Fincher is one of the funnest to watch on a pure directing basis. He has an incredibly distinctive style, but doesn't let that overshadow what is important to telling the story. Angles, character placement, and things like that are all meant to help push the story forward. His understanding of the language of cinema is.... inspiring.

What I really love about this film is how accurate it is a depiction of humanity, in my opinion. But don't get me wrong. It's easy to see it and think about how dark and messed up we are. Certainly, the griminess of humanity gives us a more visceral reaction. But there is goodness in humanity too, as shown by Somerset, Mills, his wife and their relationship. In fact, though even he shows he's a flawed person, Somerset is something of an ideal human being to me. Intelligent and wise, controlling of his emotions. A good person for anyone to look up to.

A grimy, dark film, but not entirely hopeless, and full of depth, this movie is perfection. I love Se7en.

I have to return some videotapes.
Love Se7en and Fincher. Glad you see Se7en's greatness! I just wish we could have finished our commentary on it