New Willy Wonka

Tools    

I guess my rumor i hurd was incorrect, i hurd that Nickolas Cage was going to play Willy Wonka. I think that would have been a good choice

Rediff Entertainment Bureau | August 20, 2003 19:33 IST

::::: Johnny Depp is in talks to play Willy Wonka, says a report in Variety magazine.

It is the second film based on Roald Dahl's book Charlie And The Chocolate Factory; the first, which was made in 1971, starred Gene Wilder in the lead.

The plot revolves around a reclusive chocolate manufacturer who opens his mysterious factory to the winners of golden tickets secreted in a handful of chocolate bars. Charlie, a poor boy who lives with his parents and grandparents, has one of these tickets.

If Depp accepts, this will be his fourth film with director Tim Burton, after Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood and Sleepy Hollow. :::::

ANOTHER ARTICLE JUST FOUND...

::::: Depp frontrunner to play Willy Wonka
POSTED ON 07/25/03 AT 12:30 P.M.
BY THOMAS CHAU

Variety reports that "Pirates of the Caribbean" star Johnny Depp is the frontrunner to star as Willy Wonka in Tim Burton's remake of "Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory" for Warner Bros. Pictures. The new remake will be titled "Charlie & The Chocolate Factory."

This would mark the second "Charlie" film, which was originaly based on the children's novel by Roald Dahl:::::

....ooooh yeh, i'm ashley just strolled into the boards. the biggest willy wonka fan ever. love it love it love it. any of you the same? lemme know where some cool forums are to just sit and chat and stuff, i found one a while ago, but i lost it now! later.....

oh oh! my friend lacey said that they will start filming charlie and the chocolate factory, in july.

I'm 90% sure they started filming a while back in Pinewood Studios in england.

wonder whose gona play charlie

I'm doubting if Johnny Depp can even hope to pay tribute to Gene Wilder's performance.

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
Originally Posted by marilyn4wonka
i think this movie should have been left alone, no remake.
totally agree, i think this is one of those films that should just be left alone on the movie shelf for us to admire and not tamper with

but seeing as its going ahead i think Johnny Depp is gonna have to make the role completely his own, if he tries to be like Gene Wilder then it might be a disaster, he needs to have his own stylings to it-we know he can do eccentric (POTC)

Hollywood rule #1: Never remake something that was done right the first time. No matter who is in it, it will never be remembered like the orginial and most likey will never live up to it.

what most of you are forgeting the fact that like the original this new movie is based on Roald Dahl's book which has a great storyline which made the original a huge success just like it will make the new movie a huse success. i think that having a very talented actor like johnny depp in the lead role will only make sure it does this which won't be just because he was a hit in pirates but every movie he has been in to date especially edward scissor hands.

that is my 2 cents

There are those who call me...Tim.
It's all very well saying that a good actor will make a good film, but if the actor is the wrong choice then it could be a disaster, and I think Johnny Depp is the wrong choice. I agree with marilyn4wonka that he's been chosen simply because he's popular at the moment.

Never conform, never compromise....
Originally Posted by Ash_Lee
It's all very well saying that a good actor will make a good film, but if the actor is the wrong choice then it could be a disaster, and I think Johnny Depp is the wrong choice. I agree with marilyn4wonka that he's been chosen simply because he's popular at the moment.
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. Depp is one of the finest actors working in Hollywood today, if not the finest. He has great range, and can give the characters he plays a soul. He is not just popular at the moment, he is just MORE popular because he is doing slightly more mainstream movies then he used too. He has been well thought of for sometime, does no one remember Edward Scissor Hands, fantastic movie. Or what about Dead Man, The Ninth Gate, Whats Eating Gilbert Grape, and yes, lets not forget one of his most recent, a movie that he carried POC: Curse of the Black Pearl. In the end though, that is just my opinion, I happen to have enjoyed every movie I have seen him in. I do however, think he will make a great Wonka, he will not try and replace, or redo Gene Wilder's performance, but make his own Wonka, and with Burton behind the helm, I personally, cannot wait for this.
- Corey Taylor (2002)

Tim Burton i would like to add, as most of you have come to the conclusion that he is directing willy wonka, is not. Instead a man named Gary Ross ("Pleasantville," "Dave," "Big") is in fact directing it. I have not as of yet seen any proof that depp is staring in it but this information comes straight from a media release from warner bros in response to the rumor that Marilyn Manson was staring but unfortunately is not.

p.s. has anyone actually gotten any proof that depp is staring? because i would like to know.

I think Johnny Depp's quirky acting will be perfect for Willy Wonka. I heard the movie is a Bradd Pitt/Jennifer Aniston production - we'll see how that plays out

Originally Posted by coma_purple
Tim Burton i would like to add, as most of you have come to the conclusion that he is directing willy wonka, is not. Instead a man named Gary Ross ("Pleasantville," "Dave," "Big") is in fact directing it. I have not as of yet seen any proof that depp is staring in it but this information comes straight from a media release from warner bros in response to the rumor that Marilyn Manson was staring but unfortunately is not.

p.s. has anyone actually gotten any proof that depp is staring? because i would like to know.
All those posts were from a year ago. Ironically, it has come back a complete circle and Burton/Depp actually are director/willy.

For probably the must up-to-date progress on new movies, check out

http://movies.yahoo.com/upcoming/ - index site
http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hp&cf=prev&id=1808403418 - Charlie &CF site
http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hp&cf...513469&intl=us - The Corpse Bride, another Depp/Burton movie

Originally Posted by Tolstoy
All those posts were from a year ago. Ironically, it has come back a complete circle and Burton/Depp actually are director/willy.

For probably the must up-to-date progress on new movies, check out

http://movies.yahoo.com/upcoming/ - index site
http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hp&cf=prev&id=1808403418 - Charlie &CF site
http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hp&cf...513469&intl=us - The Corpse Bride, another Depp/Burton movie
He's right.

i think that depp should play the role of charlie . i think that'd be cool. he's an amazing actor.

http://usera.imagecave.com/ashdiocok...willywonka.jpg

Wow they took his face and pasted it on Gene Wilder's Face in the Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory Movie -_-

Those pictures are so Tim Burton!

Blog News: about the movie Here

Click for pics, Jrs has some info on Star Wars 3 GO CHECK IT OUT!

I think it should be good. But Im porbably the biggest Tim Burton fan on this site so Ya know im going to be first in line to see it when it comes out. I really think one part he will really excell on is the boat ride on the chocolate milk river.. "Is it raining, Is it snowing, Is a hurricane a blowing." I LOVE THAT SCENE!

The Reaping 7/10
Transformers 8.5/10
Flight of the Living Dead 6/10
The Invisible 6/10
Return to House on Haunted Hill 1/10
Planet Terror 8/10
A Mighty Heart 7/10