Archer's Ongoing Favorite Films List

Tools    

Favorite Film 7
Three Colors: Blue
Dir. Krzysztof Kieślowski

After making The Three Colors Trilogy, also including the sharply entertaining White, and the gorgeous, thought-provoking Red, director Krzysztof Kieślowski tragically passed away. What we lost with him was one the cinema history's true visionaries. 'Visionary' is a word too often thrown around today used on directors who don't truly deserve the title, but Krzysztof Kieślowski was deserving of it ten fold. The first film of the trilogy is Blue, many prefer Red, but Blue is my personal favorite. Not only of the trilogy, but, as it is on my list, one of my favorite's in general. A heartbreaking, stunning, beautifully crafted film on every level. From the powerful score by Zbigniew Preisner to Binoche's pained performance, down to the sensory delights throughout the entire film. In the hands of any other director, the use of the titular color could have been used in too obvious away or shoe-horned into the proceedings. Director Kieslowski uses it to perfection. Nearly every shot is a work of art, and every use of the color seen is both an extension of the story and character. Blue ends with a 10 or so minute finale that is one of my very favorites. Including another final shot that remains one of the greatest. Now that it is on Criterion Bluray, I highly suggest checking this one out (and the entire trilogy.) If there is anything negative to be, it's only that we will never be able to see another film made by Krzystof Kieslowski again, which is a sad thing indeed. But we still have Three Colors: Blue, which continues to become greater and greater with each viewing.

Really glad to see this on here. I agree with everything you said, but I emphasize the score a lot more in my mind. I've never seen a movie utilize it so interactively.
I do agree. The score alone is a beyond brilliant. Added to the movie and it's perfection.

Favorite Film 8
Eyes Wide Shut
Dir. Stanley Kubrick

Controversial opinion ahead, but EWS is by far my favorite film of his entire career, which also just happens to be his final film. But what a final film it is! He must have known he would die, as EWS is littered with references to nearly every film of his career. Either way he left his audiences with a truly outstanding work of art, a surreal sexual odyssey that actually has the feeling of being in an extended dream. Watching Eyes Wide Shut has also become my favorite film to watch on christmas eve, turning into a sort of ritual. But beyond that this is a challenging, sometimes downright Lynchian, but visually intoxicating journey about all the dark shadows we have relating to our own sexual desires. Or our idea of it. Even though EWS is probably one of the least erotic films I've ever seen, there is nothing titillating to see, save for Nicole Kidman looking never better. As well as anchored by one of Cruise's top performances. A strange trip, but one that ages like wine and keeps getting better. A true modern classic in every sense of the word, even if it leaves you scratching your head about what the point of it all is. As it has to some who I have shown it too, but I for one love it. Again, flawless masterpiece. A true dream of a film, only one you can actually remember upon waking.

List so far-

Favorite Film 1: Cleo From 5 to 7

FF 2: Cure
FF 3: Persona
FF 4: Magnolia
FF 5: Mulholland Drive
FF 6: Festen
FF 7: Three Colors: Blue
FF 8: Eyes Wide Shut

Who's going to believe a talking head?
Also my favorite from the director. David Lynch must've taken some cues from it when making Mulholland Drive.

Also my favorite from the director. David Lynch must've taken some cues from it when making Mulholland Drive.

I don't think so.

You said you did a presentation on a film for your class. What kind of class was it?
Digital Color Theory

I had to do a presentation of the use/significance of color in film. I immediately chose Mulholland Drive.

Favorite Film 9
The Royal Tenenbaums
Dir. Wes Anderson

I still remember first seeing The Royal Tenenbaums opening night at the age of 11 and it really had an impact on me. It was through this film, EWS, Mulholland Drive, and Magnolia that I really became serious about film and film making. Now I'm actually going to film school to get even more educated on my main passion, and if it wasn't for those films then I don't know if I'd still be as obsessed with them as I am today. With that said, The Royal Tenenbaums is Wes Anderson's crowning achievement, though I have really liked to loved his later work, nothing has been able to live up to Royal. It's bold visual style and structure plays out the film that is darkly hilarious (I laugh out loud at it every time, and quote it a bit too much) but also very poignant and a little bit painful. It features one of best ensemble casts I've seen, and they all put in great work, especially Gene Hackman as Royal. Anderson's signature style is present throughout, but I think it is the most perfectly measured here. There will always be a special place in my film loving heart for The Royal Tenenbaums, and it will never get old. Plus the Criterion Bluray is just glorious, and a painting of Richie and Margot will forever hang on my wall.

The Royal Tenenbaums is a film that's great fun, I don't rate it so highly but I really did enjoyed it on my only viewing.

Eyes Wide Shut is similar to Magnolia in that fact that I've been waiting for see it for so long and it's a film created by one of my favourite directors.

Eyes Wide Shut gets a lot of flack from some people saying Kubrick ended his career with a bad film, but I thought it was pretty damn good. Not a masterpiece, but not even close to being bad.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Only seen 2 thus far. While I like Mulholland Dr., it is a rather peculiar film that I can't include on my top 100. The Royal Tenenbaums is just an average flick, IMO.

You're not alone in your love for Mulholland Drive, and Eyes Wide Shut is a ballsy and equally brilliant choice. Personally I'd give a slight edge to 2001 or The Shining when it comes to Kubrick's films, but I'm not gonna argue with anyone who says it's his best. It does hold a lot in common with Lynch, and Kubrick himself considered EWS his finest film.

Hitch, I would have included The Shining but since I'm such a horror addict I decided to leave out horror films and save that for another list.

And there are so many conspiracy theories surrounding EWS that makes it even more fascinating. But I've always been in love with EWS since I first saw it and chose that over The Shining for the previous mentioned reason, and over 2001 because a)it's such an obvious choice in my opinion (which isn't a bad thing) and b) EWS doesn't get enough love and I've watched it more. But not as much as The Shining.

Do you have a reference to that? Considering he died months after he finished it I would find that hard to come by.
I have a book of interviews, pretty sure he said it was his "greatest contribution to cinema" or something.