True Detective (HBO) Official Thread

Tools    

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Oh yeah, I missed that.
Speaking of "missed Things," HBO had a really great missed opportunity with Rai....... eh. I give up.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

The Adventure Starts Here!
That's not quite right is it? At least one of them has very strong connections with the case.
I was speaking mostly about the frustration at so many characters being thrown at us in the first episode. But we really didn't need to follow *everything* about *everyone*, did we? That's my only real point there.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I'll believe it when I see it.
Please forgive me. I don't get as much time as I'd like to post up here on the forums. I have to ration my time to just the necessities: harassing you with RbW smack talk and random shouts in the shouter. Maybe, if I can spare it, a post on a game from time to time.

Please forgive me. I don't get as much time as I'd like to post up here on the forums. I have to ration my time to just the necessities: harassing you with RbW smack talk and random shouts in the shouter. Maybe, if I can spare it, a post on a game from time to time.

Aww, you know I'm just hassling you. Love ya!

(Just don't love RbW.)

I’m probably only going to watch this one once the whole thing is available. Spoilt, I know. Season 1 is among the best things I’ve ever seen, so not really expecting to enjoy the new instalment that much.

There's plenty of that in Danvers, Navarro and Prior in my opinion, especially Prior - who seems like he has a very dark side to him.

I'm not talking about the presence of a dark side that automatically makes a character remarkable but the way they're written. The first season did very well in that case, which is why we even get to see references to Nietzsche and even Ligotti.

I'm not talking about the presence of a dark side that automatically makes a character remarkable but the way they're written. The first season did very well in that case, which is why we even get to see references to Nietzsche and even Ligotti.
Well whatever floats your boat. I guess it's about levels of expectattion. I don't expect any show to match season 1 of TD. The characters in season 4 are typically written quality wise for TV shows these days. Certainly the shows I watch

Well whatever floats your boat. I guess it's about levels of expectattion. I don't expect any show to match season 1 of TD. The characters in season 4 are typically written quality wise for TV shows these days. Certainly the shows I watch

Same: I don't expect any season, including the present one, to match the first, where I think references to anti-natalism helped a lot.

Episode 2 good. Goodie, more characters! Will have to re-watch it tonight.

Foster killing her rôle.

We're four episodes in. I'll keep watching, mostly because it's the only show producing new episodes on Sunday evenings that I'm watching right now...

...but ugh. It just seems to be spinning its wheels. Even Foster is no longer engaging me with any sort of curiosity about her character, her past, anything. The characters of Navarro and Prior seem to be the only two I have any sympathy for, but even that is not enough to save this season. It's like every episode gets us precisely nowhere. Things happen, but they don't seem to engage with the story in any deeply meaningful way. They just check off boxes or continue in the same vein (whether reiterating the same bits of info on the same relationships [oh, look, Danvers is making Prior work late AGAIN, surprise surprise!] or stacking more little bits of semi-scary references to things that may or may not be supernatural).

I sure hope they start putting out plot pieces that do more than simply stack up next to each other without actually DOING anything fascinating.

I will probably go back and rewatch that first season after this one is over. NOT before that, though, so that I don't depress myself.

We're four episodes in. I'll keep watching, mostly because it's the only show producing new episodes on Sunday evenings that I'm watching right now...

...but ugh. It just seems to be spinning its wheels. Even Foster is no longer engaging me with any sort of curiosity about her character, her past, anything. The characters of Navarro and Prior seem to be the only two I have any sympathy for, but even that is not enough to save this season. It's like every episode gets us precisely nowhere. Things happen, but they don't seem to engage with the story in any deeply meaningful way. They just check off boxes or continue in the same vein (whether reiterating the same bits of info on the same relationships [oh, look, Danvers is making Prior work late AGAIN, surprise surprise!] or stacking more little bits of semi-scary references to things that may or may not be supernatural).

I sure hope they start putting out plot pieces that do more than simply stack up next to each other without actually DOING anything fascinating.

I will probably go back and rewatch that first season after this one is over. NOT before that, though, so that I don't depress myself.
I’m enjoying it very much. I’m fascinated at how filming in Iceland has made it so atmospheric. Can’t explain why I like this season, I just do.

I’m enjoying it very much. I’m fascinated at how filming in Iceland has made it so atmospheric. Can’t explain why I like this season, I just do.
I think the perpetual night bit (which finally let up at the end of episode 4, with no character actually mentioning it or talking about it) was confusing me. I never got a sense of how time was passing since it was always dark. There weren't enough dialogue clues on what day it was, and whether it was nighttime or daytime. So that part started to seem a little contrived. If you're gonna use the constant darkness to your benefit, help out the viewers a little.

Yes, though, I do love the feel and look of this season. Everything seems pretty authentic, and I love the sense of the culture of living in a remote place like that. Definitely that vibe is very strong.

It's the writing and the characters that are not exciting me yet.

Yeah this is pretty much how I feel about it after episode 4. It's weak. And it's made even worse by the fact it was hyped up to match season 1.

The horror tropes are just cringeworthy. So choreographed.

"Jump scare borrowed from Asian horror film in 3, 2, 1........."

It's not even as good as season 3 let alone season 1.

Yeah this is pretty much how I feel about it after episode 4. It's weak. And it's made even worse by the fact it was hyped up to match season 1.

The horror tropes are just cringeworthy. So choreographed.

"Jump scare borrowed from Asian horror film in 3, 2, 1........."

It's not even as good as season 3 let alone season 1.
Totally agree. I'm so tired of seeing that spiral thing, as if it's still supposed to scare us. Unless we have SOME clue what's going on, it won't scare us. The only scary, creepy bit was the corpsicle: when they first found it, having it slowly thaw, seeing the faces, etc. But even that is now gone, uneventfully, along with the creepy perpetual darkness.

So sad to have now watched something with Jodie Foster where she just doesn't shine. Is it the material? Or does she just not play a completely unsympathetic character all that convincingly?

Totally agree. I'm so tired of seeing that spiral thing, as if it's still supposed to scare us. Unless we have SOME clue what's going on, it won't scare us. The only scary, creepy bit was the corpsicle: when they first found it, having it slowly thaw, seeing the faces, etc. But even that is now gone, uneventfully, along with the creepy perpetual darkness.

So sad to have now watched something with Jodie Foster where she just doesn't shine. Is it the material? Or does she just not play a completely unsympathetic character all that convincingly?
I think the other characters and actors take you out of her moments.

It's weird - I really like John Hawkes, yet he's hardly been in it. More of him would have been better. Christopher Eccelston is largely terrible. Could they really not find an American actor to play an American part?

I'm liking this, but they have not successfully woven together a coherent story yet, and with two episodes left until the end, I feel like that should be more readily apparent now. I still don't understand what the story is that they are trying to tell. I like it atmospherically and the setting is interesting, so I hope with the final two episodes everything comes together in a satisfying way.

I'm liking this, but they have not successfully woven together a coherent story yet, and with two episodes left until the end, I feel like that should be more readily apparent now. I still don't understand what the story is that they are trying to tell. I like it atmospherically and the setting is interesting, so I hope with the final two episodes everything comes together in a satisfying way.
I think you have encapsulated my thoughts here. I had forgotten that this is only six episodes, which makes the lack of a coherent story even worse. There are just a bunch of bits and pieces, a ton of characters (each with his or her own major life issues hanging over their heads), and no sense of where our loyalties are supposed to lie.

If there really are only two episodes left, then this coming week should really start pulling all these loose ends together. I hope.