Sequel to Journey to the west and Monkey King?

Tools    

Permission to post admin, thanks!

Journey to the West is a 16th century Chinese novel about the pilgrimage of a Tang Monk and his three disciples, the Monkey King, the pig demon Zhu Bajie, and the river demon, Sha Wujing, to obtain Buddhist sutras. The work is regarded as one of the Four Great Classical Novels of Chinese literature.

Anyone there know what’s the story timeline or a sequel story of the journey to the west and monkey king? I cant find it on the web. Thank you in advanced.

Just throwing this in FYI. There is an English subbed version of Journey to the West on YouTube:

It is rather silly and like a Disney movie but it is supposed to be accurate to the book. There are many sites devoted to Chinese dramas and they have other versions.

Amazingly, the ultimate source of the novel is a real event. Xuanzang was a real Chinese theologian who actually did make a trip to India and back to find Buddhist scriptures, back in the 7th century.

I don't think there really could be a timeline for the novel. Its mostly just a series of encounters the characters have on the road. Some supernatural being kidnaps Xuanzang (hoping to eat him because it is believed that eating him will give immortality), then Monkey, Pigsy, and Sandy rescue him. Then another supernatural being kidnaps Xuanzang, and so on.

If you find a really scholarly unabridged translation there may be synopses of the chapters or something like that.

The Wikipedia article says that another author wrote a "sequel", but it sounds like a "fan fiction" that happens between chapters 61 and 62 of the novel.

The novel has 100 chapters . . . .

SPOILER ALERT

In chapter 99, they find the Buddhist scriptures they have been searching for.
The Wijipedia article says "Chapter 100, the final chapter, quickly describes the return journey to the Tang Empire [i.e. China], and the aftermath in which each traveller receives a reward in the form of posts in the bureaucracy of the heavens. Sun Wukong (Monkey) and Tang Sanzang (monk) achieve Buddhahood, Sha Wujing (Sandy) becomes an arhat, the dragon horse is made a nāga, and Zhu Bajie (Pig), whose good deeds have always been tempered by his greed, is promoted to an altar cleanser (i.e. eater of excess offerings at altars)."