Movie Title Cards and their Effect

Tools    

I'm a sucker for a good title card, always have been. I think a well done title card can set up a movie and often surpass the movie itself.

I am making this thread to be a collection of everyone's favorite title cards.

I'll kick it off with a few..

and of course, one my personal favorite credit rolls..not the movie, just the muted rainbow rotating masked credits...

Magnolia

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
I'm a sucker for a good title card, always have been. I think a well done title card can set up a movie and often surpass the movie itself.

I am making this thread to be a collection of everyone's favorite title cards.

I'll kick it off with a few..

and of course, one my personal favorite credit rolls..not the movie, just the muted rainbow rotating masked credits...

I always did like that title card for Altered States.

Always liked this one, too.

@Stirchley

For those who are not familiar with what a title card is..it's basically the title of a movie as it is presented in the film itself. The kind of font used, whether or not it is an extruded ie-3D title - Superman and Lethal Weapon films a good example of this, both by Richard Donner who must love extruded

Is it glowing light? Does it have a gold, silver, copper or brass sheen? Is it just a stylish and understated text like the beginning of Dirty Harry or a cursive script like Moonrise Kingdom.

All sorts of different kinds of title cards. I love title cards. In fact, I've even made a few that I also scored music alongside. Not really a film title card, more of a company logo ID but same concept more or less..that I will post right here....

Thanks Joel. Don't know what extruded means, but that's ok. Here's one still & one video.

@Stirchley

Scroll down on the first link to the video. Extruded is when the title or font is extended out as if it has 3 dimensions and/or is beaming towards you like a ray of light...
Wow. I never knew that.

This might just do nobody any good.
Don't know how to post the video but here's La Belle et la Bête from the website "Art of the Title", which is topical.

These are my faves and Return of the Pink Panther is INCREDIBLe! I haven't seen this since I was about 7 years old and am blown away by how gorgeous this sequence is, wow.

Here's a couple more..nothing as good as that Pink Panther, though...damn!

There's that pesky Stanley Donen signature design, that circle in box. This is what I saw at the intro credits to Saturn 3, and it is what led me to believe I was in for a treat. I should have known better...a director who uses a circle inside of a box is baaad news..