SAW II Review

→ in
Tools    

I haven't been to this site in a while ubt when I logged back in I noticed that I had only reviewed two movies, and that so many reviews here weretoo short and unclear. Therefor, I am making my grand return with a review to the second installment under the Saw title... SAW II.

Also, later, I have some very interesting news for you people. My moms friends husband happens to work in Hollywood, and I have some inside info, that you might want to hear.

On to the review...

SYNOPSIS...

Well, the creators of the first SAW movie came to terms with the fact that they didn't create the best movie ever, and passed the SAW torch onto someone else. What they didn't realize was just how big SAW II would become.

Here is the quick break down.

Detective Mathews is a man with a problem. He is upset constantly. Why??? Well, it's never really explained clearly, so our best guess is that he just can't connect with his son.

His son gets into trouble a lot, but one day lands himself in a spot you do not want to be in. He wakes up in the dead center of a deadly game... a game to test the will to survive...Jigsaw's game. This young man happens to be one of the unfortunate eight people to be part of this "test". OH...And look who else is back again. It is Amanda... the one person to ever survive a Jigsaw trap, and guess what? She is back for round 2...stuck in another hostile game.

While the game unfolds in a rundown old building, Detective Mathews is on the hunt and meets up with Jon Kramer, otherwise known as the Jigsaw Killer. During the time Mathews stays with Jon, he realizes his son is part of a sick trap. He then tries to force Jigsaw to pull his son out of the house or reveal the location where the game is taking place. Jigsaw refuses, but all the while drops subtle hints as to the whereabouts of Mathews son. But Mathews is a hot head and isn't that quick on the uptake.

Without revealing too much, Mathews does kick the crap out of Jigsaw, and at the end of the movie there is a scene showing Jigsaw, where he appears to be dead. (This was done so the directors could end the series if the box office did poorly.)

REVIEW...

Here is where we start the actual review itself... As always it will be arranged in categories...

STORYLINE...

In this SAW film, the storyline is full of action as well as plot twists, making it confusing at times, yet exctiting at other times. You also won't become confused, as long as you pay attention. The new producers really stepped it up a notch or two and started pumping out a thriving storyline, complete with good characters, plenty of kills, and good acting to carry the whole thing.

This movie also carries on the trend of flipping to flashbacks of the people in the room. (And of course the best flashback. the one where the entire movie is recapped in 2 minutes at the end.) The difference is that we do see a lot more flashbacks of Jigsaw, AKA Jon.

Now, the bad part here, and for all of the movies, is that we never get to findout what really did happen to Dr. Gordon, the man who sawed off his own foot in the first movie. Hopefully we will eventually see what became of him. But it's understandable, considering the movie was handed off to different directors after terrible box office sales for the first one.

But, all in all, it really does have a terrific plot.

score it: 7.5/10

CHARACTERS...

The characters in this movie is really what binds the entire thing together into one epic film. I will list some of the characters, and there descriptions for you.

Jigsaw/ Jon Kramer- A demented serial killer who puts people in traps or games to test their will to survive.

Amanda- Durg addict and the only person to survive a SAW trap. Now, Jigsaw's assistant.

Detective Mathew's: A generally angry detective who doesn't do things by the book. He is looking for his missing son, and interrogates jigsaw.

Daniel Mathews: The detectives son. Part of the latest "game".

Rigg- Police officer who plays a important role in SAW IV but really doesn't do anything in this movie.

Kerry- Police officer who is seen in this movie but is killed in SAW III.

Those are only some of the important characters. Obviously, there are many more that are part of the trap but they really don't hold any relationship to the future movies. They were a one time deal. But all together, the actors worked with eachother well. They made you feel bad for people, or they made you hate them. You actually felt for them. Although Franky G (Xavier) was a pretty bad actor.

Just to clarify here, in the end of this movie you do see the room where the first movie took place, but other than seeing it, it holds no relation to future movies.

score the characters: 6.5/ 10

BRUTALITY, BLOOD, GORE, TRAPS, ETC...

iN THE FIRST MOVIE WE ONLY SEE A SMALL BIT OF BLOOD AND GORE. aND WE ONLY ARE ALLOWED TO SEE ABOUT five seconds of Gordon sawing through his own leg, and then it is obvious that he is simply hiding the foot in his pant leg. That was the flaw of the first movie, but it did peak the interest of peole once it made it to DVD. and it said the stage for the totally revamped SAW II. SAW II took blood and gore to a whole new level in the movie business.

TRAPS--- The traps are brutal and you couldn't imagine yourself in a worse position to be in. Some of the traps include, a door with a gun that's fired when you open the door, A deadly nerve Gas, An incinerator, A spiked baseball bat, and a pit full of needles and syringes. Simply grotesque.

BLOOD AND GORE--- Well, since the trapos were much more elaborate and disgusting, it is only fitting that more people die and that their deaths become absolutely disgusting. Complete with blood and gore. The movie simply reinvented the way people view blood and gore. Some scenes actually make my friend gag, just because tey are so horriffic.

Thias is where SAW II makes up for all of it's lost points. IT was a total reinvention of the blood and gore in horror movies up until that point. although, it's sequels have more blood and gore therefor this section doesn't get it's 10/10. But it will get a great score.

score it: 9/10

FINAL THOUGHTS...

The first SAW movie was a totally new plot. People had never imagined it before. But it certainly lacked in many crucial elements of the film, especialy in the blood and gor category. But what SAW II did was swoop in and reinvent the entire thing. The created an amazing storyline using multiple people which meant multiple deaths. But they couldn't just have them die and ;leave it at that. They made the deaths so brutal, and so gory, you almost can feel what the characters are going through.

Other than that, th9is movie brought a whole new storyline into play which would set the stage for the sequels. On top of that, they had an excellent cast that worked well with eachother and made a believable story. But enough rambling. Lewt's move onto the final score.

RANKING SYSTEM...

1: Terrible 2: Blah 3: Bad 4: Wasn't Good 5: Wasn't Good but Wasn't Bad 6: Alright 7: excellent 8: Good 9: Great 10: WOW

7/10 - This movie was alright. Meaning that it certainly wasn't bad, but couldv'e used some touching up.

what can i say ? this movie seriese is classic ..

Awesome movie

Saw 1 is definitely one of the worst movies ive ever seen and i cant believe that this one is anything more than a bunch of "mousetrap" style death scenes
if it hurts your brain to think get this movie!

Buy the ticket, take the ride.
Fantastic review! :]

I really enjoyed the Saw series and I always enjoy how questions that are previously unanswered suddenly make sense a movie or two on but I think so far but II will always be my favorite!

This movie still has the same twists the first one did notably another great one at the end. The end sure is unpredictable and will continue this Saw franchise.
Saw II opens with a guy being trapped and receiving orders from Jigsaw. Everything goes wrong for him and he gets his face smashed.