Let's discuss our fave war movies

Tools    

If there is one particular cinematic genre that I love more than any other, it’s the war genre. One of my favorite films as a child was The Dirty Dozen. I had probably seen it fifteen times by the time I was twelve. Another great war movie I loved as a kid, and still do by the way, is The Great Escape, which consequently made Steve McQueen my first movie idol. None of that matters, of course, I just felt like sharing it.

What I’d like is to have a discussion about war movies. What war movie is your all time favorite, and why? What is it about your particular favorite that makes it your favorite? We already have a generic thread about war movie favorites that, coincidentally; I created when I was still new here. But it was only a list thread…BORING! So my idea is this: Let’s discuss all of our own personal favorites, and explain what it is about that particular film that speaks to you. What does it say?

I’ll take the initiative with my personal all time favorite, Saving Private Ryan. Now I know that a lot of people give this movie flak because it’s actually pure fiction, but I think it really encapsulates the real emotions some soldiers, during war time, deal with. Case in point, Cpl. Timothy Upham (Jeremy Davies). Now Davies’ character really captures the fear that a new soldier, no matter how gifted, crazy, or emasculate, he or she may be, quite perfectly. This is a man that is terrified. Terrified of dying, and of the act of killing. Why would a once journalist ever put any real thought into taking someone’s life? And why would we assume that just because he’s thrust into a situation where he’s being shot at, that he has within himself, any capacity at all to point a weapon and pull the trigger, snuffing out someone else’s life?

I looked through his eyes and was transported back to my first day in Iraq, during the first Gulf War. I remembered the pure terror I felt at what I was about to be thrust into. My M.O.S. in the United States Army was Cavalry Scout, later trained in Air Assault. Basically, I was dropped with my platoon, well into enemy territory in order to scout out the enemy, and engage in combat if discovered, or when, and if, any target of opportunity presented itself. Now, if my life were a piece of fiction, the first engagement I was involved with would have been chocked full of bravery and valor, yet it wasn’t. I was so scared that, later, I needed to change my jockeys. That may sound funny, but it’s not. It’s real.

Az Zubayr is a city of above average size, and though the US Navy had pounded it repeatedly for weeks before my platoon was sent into it, it still remained a hub of resistance. Of course, we didn’t know that for sure, hence my Company’s involvement. To make a long story short, I and my friends were suddenly under fire. At one point during a pitched and fierce battle, that somehow only lasted a tad over 30 minutes, I was forced to kill. I didn’t do it as automatically as promised by my Drill Instructor back in the states. It was when I saw a good friend take a hit in his side, that I was finally released from my self-induced stupor, and fought back for their lives and mine. I screamed, I pissed, and I screamed some more. I lived through it obviously, but not until the damage to my psyche was done. After the battle was over we counted bodies: Allies 0, Iraqi’s 34. What commenced within myself after that was, to say the least, dramatic. I had killed not just one, but three human beings by myself. Two with my rifle, and one in close combat using my bayonet. Let me just say this, killing someone without the aid of a rifle is incredibly intense. Not only did I end a life, essentially bare handed, but also I had survived unscathed! From that point on, I was on autopilot, and by the time there was no more fighting (outwardly allowed or not), I had killed a great number of people. I had killed from a distance with my M-60, and shot men in the back of the head execution style. However, the terror never left me.

My point with all that is this, Saving Private Ryan captured, to the tee, what it is like to live and die in a war. Cpl. Upham is, in my own humble opinion, the epitome of what a real soldier is, at least during the beginning of their war time experience. I really identified with his character, and had never before seen such a true depiction. I was stunned and gratified that the people that Steven Speilberg hired as WarTime Consultants captured the true essence of debilitating fear. Upham failed miserably, and if he were a real human being, would be haunted for the rest of his life. I actually see suicide in Upham’s future, making his character all the more poetic for me.

There are three other major scenes in the movie, that quite literally, tore me apart. The first being Pvt. Irwin Wade’s (Giovanni Ribisi) death scene. There were a number of times I heard grown men call out to their Mama’s, at least I assumed they were. It was Iraqi soldiers crying it while they died, it’s heartbreaking regardless whoever is crying it. The second is Pvt. Stanley Mellish’s (Adam Goldberg) death scene. Now that one makes me cringe and want to cry out. It was so realistic it was frightening. And the fact that Upham is just outside the door with salvation only a trigger away makes it all the more distressing. The third, and last, scene that tears my heart to shreds is the famous, “Tell me I’m a good man” line said by James Ryan (Harrison Young) at the end of the film. What post-war soldier doesn’t, at the very least, say that to himself? I know I have dozens of times. I accidentally killed a child while in Iraq, and it wakes me up at night still. War nightmares are actually quite indescribable, so I won’t bother trying. Needless to say, I often ask myself, “Am I a good man?”.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

It was beauty killed the beast.
Fantastic post Slaytan. Kong too find Saving Private Ryan to be a great film although Kong doesn't have the personal experience of combat to justify it in the same way. The only parts of the film that Kong didn't care for are the book-ends, but that is really a rather small complaint, and Kong gives the film a **** of ****.

Another recent war film that Kong found to be great was Black Hawk Down, and Kong's curious to know how you feel about it. The film recieved very mixed reviews, and is even considered racist by some (because it depicts nameless, and practically faceless black people being mowed down by the scores). Personally, Kong thinks this is a misinterpretation of what the film's goals are. Black Hawk Down only seeks to show us what happened in this situation, and only show us this from the soldiers perspective. There is no explicit message to the movie; we have to arrive at the meanings of this chaos on our own. Kong supposes many people are uncomfortable with being asked to extract their own message from such a gruesome, frenzied, and heartbreaking situation but Kong found it to be both daring, as well as revealing about one's self. It's quite an intense, and uncomfortable experience.

YoUr FrIeNd &TrUsTeD aDvIsOr
hello friends, it is me...(pause)drexal parks.

good idea slaytan.

my favorite war flick has to be umm.... STALENGRAD(most likley spelt incorectly) for its view from the german stand point. which was something not often seenin mainstream america. yes there are others I am sure. but this story i saw as a kid. alredy loveing war flicks such as platoon and full metal jacket(ya I know its an odd one) I was at my buddy's house. and his father being a history prof at the university he would rent us movies that were exciting and educational. so on went stallengrad(there I go) I had never seen such a dark war movie before that. i mean as far as a light war flick can go. now if you have seen this movie it was pretty grousome even for the genra. and being eight years of age I'm sure that had a lot to do with it. but isaw it recently and remember why i loved it so. because of the relationships between the people. they were all over the place like me and my friends. I loved the atmosphere that bled out of the screen. all the cold blues. and greys. men freezing to death in fox holes. it really changed me. after that I was hooked. that monday at scholl me ,john and dave (those being the ones I saw it with.) started to play stallengrad the game. we would run around and pretend to shoot invisable enemies. we would always be on the same team cause thats how it was in the movie. they would comit suicide before giving up. and with that spawned games like that for many years in the muchmore school yards. dozens of kids all running around playing war. it brought us all together. even the smelly kid wa son a team. it was great. we (being john dave and drexal) eventually created a series of games that could be played by all. in the scholl. we wrote rule books and and stradegy. the game stared out being called: MUCHMORE STALLENGRAD(muchmor being the school we went to.) then when we would win that it was...Blood and Guts versions 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8, spanning untill the far future(thats when we first saw the Aliean trilagy) so in closing stallengrad made me and my two friends ledgonds at my school. we even got an award for it on my grade six graduation. for getting kids to use there imaginations and creativity out of school hours.(we would play at resess) and the funny thing is that it is still played after al those years. the rule books are in the office and half to be sighned out. funny eh?(ya i'm canadian) though they did change the name from Blood and Guts to "thre great muchmor war game....i don't know it hasn't the same ring to it.

i hope this sifices.
your friend and trusted advisor...
drexal parks.

Thank you for the compliment Kong, and Drexal, this thread was actually Kong's idea. As far as Black Hawk Down goes, I haven't seen it. Don't ask me why, because I don't know. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. Weird, since it is my favorite genre. When I get the movie club selection this weekend, I'll be sure to pick it up.

Has anyone ever seen John Malkovich as The Ogre? It's a WWII movie wherre Malkovich plays a man captured by the germans and made to kidnap young boys to induct into the Hitler Youth. It's not an action film, it's just one I've always loved. Actually, that was the movie I was going to pick when it was my turn with the Movie Club, but I doubt I will now. It's probably way to hard to find.

The first battle of Saving Private Ryan was, more than likely, the single best battle scene ever commited to film. The second major battle was good. By the third and fourth I found that my expectations had just been raised way too high by the perfection of the Normandy invasion scene, that I didn't really care for much of the rest of the movie. They didn't really spark my interest. Great film, overall, but a tad flawed.

My favorite is and has always been Apocalypse Now. Many people accuse this film of having it's own share of flaws, though I do find it to be tied with The Godfather Part 2 for for Coppola's best film. The surrealistic beauty of Apocalypse Now really just ties it in together for me. The visuals, the music, the story, every scene stuck in my head and has never left.

As for Black Hawk Down, it was really well shot, and I enjoyed the way it really got the feeling of battle where you're really not sure who is who, but I always felt something lacking in it, I can't quite tell what.

For pure cinematography, nothing beats The Thin Red Line. What a pleasure to look at this film is. It's very lacking in character depth and suffered from a few poor performances. Another terrific but flawed film.

Originally posted by Henry The Kid
For pure cinematography, nothing beats The Thin Red Line. What a pleasure to look at this film is. It's very lacking in character depth and suffered from a few poor performances. Another terrific but flawed film.
I've always thought that Penn's and Nolte's performances were what made this movie great. It really captured the thin line between honor and duty.

I liked Penn alot, I didn't care for Nolte. He wasn't bad, but Penn outshined him. Keep in mind I was nit-picking the movie, it would likely get a ***1/2 outta ****.

It was beauty killed the beast.
Originally posted by LordSlaytan
Hmm...nobody likes war movies but us 4?
So it seems.

Get off my island
I liked all the ones I saw, AN, Platoon, Thin Red Line and Saving Private Ryan but they all dragged a bit in the middle

MoFo Survivor - r3port3r66 wins!!!!!!

My two favourite war films are Francis Ford Coppola's Apocalypse Now and Robert Altman's M*A*S*H.

Done and done.

Get Low, Get Low, Get Low
As a ex military brat, i was raised around war movies...I would have to say my all time favorite too, is Saving Private Ryan...I can also include, Gettysburg (call me what you will), Full Metal Jacket, Patton...Tora, Tora, Tora..

Yes, I too, like war movies

Plus a lady fan of PimpDaShizzle V2.0 and Most importantly JRS

I am having a nervous breakdance
The Thin Red Line is my favourite movie, all categories. I have to say that I think Nick Nolte made the appearance of his life in it. That role suited him perfectly. The reason to why this movie is so perfect though is the director, the master, Terrence Malick. I have only seen two more films by him, Badlands and Days of Heaven, but I don't think I have ever seen a director that tells a story with pictures as excellent as he does. Without any dialogue he can capture the exact feeling that he's looking for with his images.

It's hard to say why exactly I like The Thin Red Line so much. I just think it's poetic. It's the clash between the horror and the beauty that is so special and I love the fact that he treats both sides of the war, the americans and the japanese (with the island natives stuck in the middle), as equals. The madness and the horror is just the same on both sides. And the raping of the nature....

"What is this great evil? How did it steal into the world? From what seed, what root did it spring? Who's doing this? Who's killing us? Robbing us of light and life. Mocking us with the sight of what we might have known."

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

HERE is a thread (started by you, Slaytan) where we listed our favorites, though I guess there wasn't too much in-depth discussion on each selection.

My number one war movie of all time, unless you want to bend the definition and count Dr. Strangelove, is another Kubrick flick: Paths of Glory (1957).

Paths of Glory is unsentimental, graphic, horrific and morally murky - everything I believe warfare to be. Of course I have never been a soldier and likely never will be, so my perspective is what it is. But the no-win situations presented in the WWI narrative of Paths mesh with that perspecitve.

Kubrick's long tracking shots through the trenches and over the shell-shocked battleground give me a visceral cinematic feel for the drama, excitement and trauma of battle. The questions the film additionally asks about duty and higher responsibilty in the cynical command decisions and the scapegoat court martials touch upon the murky middleground any conflict gives rise to for me. It's unflinching, stylized and honest. It is also very much an anti-war statement, which I find all of the best War movies I respond to are - at least in some major part of their intent.

And as for Stevie Spielberg's Saving Private Ryan, I find after the brauva battle sequences (which are techinacally perfect and awesome), it's an an average movie, at best, relying on far too many genre cliches and an awkward and mawkish sentimentality. The bookends of the narrative, old Ryan at the Normandy cemetary with his family, just ruin whatever inherent power the battle scenes have for me. I know some are moved by it, but I think it's manipulative hokum.

Of course, your mileage may vary.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally posted by Holden Pike
HERE is a thread (started by you, Slaytan) where we listed our favorites, though I guess there wasn't too much in-depth discussion on each selection.
True, that's why I said this:

Originally posted by LordSlaytan
We already have a generic thread about war movie favorites that, coincidentally; I created when I was still new here. But it was only a list thread…BORING! So my idea is this: Let’s discuss all of our own personal favorites, and explain what it is about that particular film that speaks to you. What does it say?
Originally posted by Holden Pike
Of course, your mileage may vary.
Of course. That's the beauty of cinema. Great post Holden. I haven't seen Paths of Glory since I was young, and after looking at the pictures you added, I want to see it again.

Aaaah. Well, my reading comprhension skills decrease in relation to the amount of Vodka in my bloodstream.

Paths of Glory is one of Kubrick's best but also least-known works. It's really a great flick. Definitely check it out again ASAP.

I will this weekend friend.

I remember being 'austruck' seeing it when I was a kid, so I can't wait to see it again as an adult.

I'll rent The Adventures of Baron Munchausen , Paths of Glory, and my pick for the movie club...

I have the Criterion LD of The Adventures of Baron Munchausen - complete with Gilliam commentary and all kinds of extras. Perhaps I'll join you all?

Then again, perhaps I'll just sleep this off. Plus, I have to go to work tomorrow (if I'm alive).

ANYway....

I hope you do join the club, and while you're drinking, why don't you join a couple of debate threads.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Holden, Paths of Glory is a great film. They had a Kubrick thing on swedish tv last fall and they showed it so of course I taped it. There are many memorable scenes in it but there is one that comes to mind right now and that I think it's brilliant. It hasn't much to do with anything, but at one point when a car with officers drive up to the military headquarters (It was a while since I saw it), a horse gets frightened by the car. I am absolutely sure that this scene is to symbolize the clash between oldfashioned and modern warfare that made World War I so catastrophal. Do you know which scene I mean?

I also agree with all you said about Saving Private Ryan. "Average" is exactly the term I would use about it. Spielberg is a master craftsman but he always tend to lean a little too much to melodrama for my taste. The battle part was good of course, and other scenes are good too, as the one where the mother of the Ryan brothers collapse on the porch when those men come to give her the message.

To me, Saving Private Ryan is kind of pro-war. It's gloryfying war heroism in the same way as the Band of Brothers series and sending out the message that "it's always worth the price", which is pretty cheap and simplifying to me and avoids a lot of they key issues of war. Now, I have never fought a war but I think this film celebrates the ones who did more than it tries to prevent other people from fighting new wars.