Quentin Tarantino Officially Retiring

Tools    

....and this explains why my review thread was a Fail
I know you're half joking but your thread wasn't a fail. The individual review threads never generate as much traffic as we want.

I actually watched The Hateful Eight again a couple of weekends ago, with a friend who hadn't seen it. Makes it five times I've seen it overall, sorry Tongo

Its cool, and Im being critical. I feel Tarantino is like one of those great authors that needs an editor, but the publishing house dares not omit anything.

Growing up, I was always the actor's, or movie star's, follower and fan. I watched the movie because of its star. It wasn't until I saw Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction that I became, for the first time, a director's follower and fan. That director, of course, was Tarantino.

Every movie he has made since Pulp Fiction was not treated as just another ordinary movie for me. It was a major event.

I sure hope that he goes back on his word and keeps directing movies past the tenth. I would love to see his take on the horror/suspense genre. And how about another gangster/crime movie? Hell, I'd even love to see his take on the dreaded romantic comedy genre.

My top 3 Tarantino films are: Pulp Fiction, Django Unchained, and Inglourious Basterds (in that order).
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Welcome to the human race...
Its weird cause you misunderstood, I meant he was "Hollywooded" out with his thinking, his overblown opinion of himself, like what I was describing in the rest of my post.

What you are describing is someone not "selling out" for academy expectations, and Im describing hes not going to evolve. If he is to ever get better as a filmmaker he has to acknowledge his weak areas, and improve on them. Thats not "selling out". The ending to Inglorious Basterds was a cop-out. Not that it was his aim to, but he could have won Best Picture deservedly for that film it was so good until the last 20 minutes where he wrote himself into a hole and couldnt figure out how to end it.

Him staying "true to his sensibilities" means narrating a 3 hour western, then his sensibilities are flawed. He is falling off rather than evolving because he doesnt filter himself, and thats more obvious each film he makes. Maybe its best he stops at 10 after all.
I'll concede that misunderstanding. Hollywood as an abstract concept does mean a lot of different things, after all.

I'm still not sure exactly what makes the ending of Basterds a cop-out or a sign that he's not going to evolve as a filmmaker, though. If anything, I'd be more likely to level those particular criticisms at Django (which did effectively limp to a close in comparison to Basterds' comparatively unpredictable conclusion). Underneath the usual displays of excessive bloodshed and ugly racism, Django might just be the most fundamentally conventional film that Tarantino ever did, which would explain why it managed to win more Oscars than any other film he's done (even if it is only two compared to Pulp, Basterds, and Eight having one apiece). To me, it seemed like something of a backwards step compared to Basterds (though Basterds had the good luck of having had to follow up Death Proof, which is my pick for his weakest film).

You do make a good point that he may be losing a little control, though - there's been a bit of a narrative building up that suggests that his films haven't been quite as good since Sally Menke died, which effectively suggests that her collaborating with Tarantino was what kept his aptitude for self-indulgence in check. In any case, the random spot of narration in Hateful Eight is definitely unnecessary, but negligible compared to the rest of the film.

I'll concede that misunderstanding. Hollywood as an abstract concept does mean a lot of different things, after all.

I'm still not sure exactly what makes the ending of Basterds a cop-out or a sign that he's not going to evolve as a filmmaker, though. If anything, I'd be more likely to level those particular criticisms at Django (which did effectively limp to a close in comparison to Basterds' comparatively unpredictable conclusion). Underneath the usual displays of excessive bloodshed and ugly racism, Django might just be the most fundamentally conventional film that Tarantino ever did, which would explain why it managed to win more Oscars than any other film he's done (even if it is only two compared to Pulp, Basterds, and Eight having one apiece). To me, it seemed like something of a backwards step compared to Basterds (though Basterds had the good luck of having had to follow up Death Proof, which is my pick for his weakest film).

You do make a good point that he may be losing a little control, though - there's been a bit of a narrative building up that suggests that his films haven't been quite as good since Sally Menke died, which effectively suggests that her collaborating with Tarantino was what kept his aptitude for self-indulgence in check. In any case, the random spot of narration in Hateful Eight is definitely unnecessary, but negligible compared to the rest of the film.
Truthfully his movies are fun, but I can see he could be more. Yes I liked Basterds more than Django too, and hated both endings.

With Basterds ending...
WARNING: spoilers below
He had them captured, and the end all resolution is to just gun down Hitler and his inner circle? I thought they were gonna have a cool escape, rescue, but it ended like a South Park episode. It wasnt realistic nor historically accurate obviously, and if he treated the movie seriously, it would have been his best movie.

So, should they make a movie about the Alamo now where Davy Crockett and them live? It just to me seemed like he spraypainted his masterpiece.

Django ended even less creatively.

With Basterds ending...
WARNING: spoilers below
He had them captured, and the end all resolution is to just gun down Hitler and his inner circle? I thought they were gonna have a cool escape, rescue, but it ended like a South ark episode. It wasnt realistic nor historically accurate obviously, and if he treated the movie seriously, it would have been his best movie.

So, should they make a movie about the Alamo now where Davy Crockett and them live? It just to me seemed like he spraypainted his masterpiece.

The only thing left I care to see from Quentin Tarantino is his third Kill Bill movie.

Let's see how he makes a sequel -- 'cause Kill Bill: Volume 2 isn't a sequel.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
I really want to see the next Kill Bill as well, there's so many options he could develop upon for that, and I'd love to see which one he takes.

That being said, Kill Bill 3 has been on hiatus for quite a while now

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I can see him retiring in film, but working in other areas. He wants to write a novel and a stage play. Other venues instead of film.

If his next 2 films do well, then I doubt he will actually call it quits..
Yeah right, he's been saying it for years, what makes you think you know him better, it's not because his last films hasn't done as well, it's because he want's to do other things and have a "perfect string of films", I know he will stop, I don't doubt it, I've heard him talk about it at length.

I think I just got smacked in the face by Tarantino's ego. At least he is stopping soon... sooner the better. boom.

oh he's making an Australian film, I wonder what brilliant actor will be in that...

oh he's making an Australian film, I wonder what brilliant actor will be in that...

Not sure why you're posting a picture of a New Zealander, though.

Not sure why you're posting a picture of a New Zealander, though.
I am, it's normal for New Zealanders to be prominent in the Australian film industry and vise versa, I couldn't be bothered to make the distinction and I was aware of it... and I have no doubt if he's making a movie in Oz, Zoe Bell will be in on it.

It's fine with me. He's a very unique film-maker, and even though I really like what he's done, it's better to quit while you're on top than becoming a cash-grabbing hack.

"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become a villain".

Sure, there are lots of directors that has been great for many decades, but Tarantino has always taken his due time instead of pumping out films every 1 or 2 years.