Winter Light
Peeping Tom
Stalker

Pedro Almodóvar
Todo sobre mi madre (1999) All about My Mother
Live Flesh (1997)
High Heels (1991)
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (1990)
Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown (1988)
Kika (1993)

Now With Moveable Parts
Ah! American History X...that was visually stimulating, wasn't it? Good call. The Others, that had such a menacing feel to it...

Originally posted by sadesdrk
Ah! American History X...that was visually stimulating, wasn't it? Good call. The Others, that had such a menacing feel to it...
Just one of the things that amazed me so much about American History X did you know the director of the film was also the cinematography for the film as well.

Now With Moveable Parts
I did not know that. Tell me more Papa Bear...

Here's some really intresting stuff from IMDB

Edward Norton was said to have re-edited the film to lengthen his screen time. Director Kaye, Tony then attempted to get his name removed but violated a Directors' Guild of America rule that states that directors that use pseudonyms (such as "Alan Smithee") must not talk about why they had their name removed

which Tony Kaye had done in ads in Variety. Kaye sued the DGA and New Line Cinema for $200 million stating that the DGA rule violated his first amendment rights.

Seth (Ethan Suplee) describes Bob Sweeney (Avery Brooks) as an "Uncle Tom". In 1987, Brooks played Uncle Tom in a TV version of Uncle Tom's Cabin (1987) (TV).

Seth wears a shirt during the basketball game featuring the number 88. This is a skinhead code for HH, or "Heil Hitler," H being the 8th letter of the alphabet.

The quotation that concludes Danny's paper is from the closing words of Abraham Lincoln's first Inaugural Address in 1861.

Director Tony Kaye wanted his credit to read "Humpty Dumpty" according to Entertainment Weekly.

The punk band Anti-Heroes sued New Line Cinema over a character's tattoo featuring the band. The band did not want to be associated with Nazis, even fictional ones, in any way. The band went on to record a song called "NLC" that debases the film studio.

Here's an intresting little site on American History X

Here's another site with different drafts of the script

lengthy review by Ebert is you dig the guy

Whad'you know?
some excellent choices, i cant believe how many i totally overlooked

what are some others that use interesting compositions?

I agree with Chris from before, I really liked O Brother, Where Art Thou?.

Very beautiful to look at. Rich and clean and grainy and everything else, and warm and and and...

All three of the Monty Python films are beautiful to look at too, while we're adding to the list. Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Life of Brian, The Meaning of Life...

Speaking of Gilliam, I'm watching 12 Monkeys for the first time this evening. I'll be back with a consensus then...

all of Gilliam's work are materpiece.
Pratt shot Batman for Burton the guys a heck of a photographer

I still haven't seen Brazil, which is probably my biggest regret. I have always wanted to see it, and it is so high up on my list, and yet, for some reason, the place never has it, or it simply slips my mind...

this needs to be thought out, and i gotta fly right now....so i'll be back with a much bigger list......but for starters;

what dreams may come
seven
donnie darko

I still haven't seen Brazil, which is probably my biggest regret. I have always wanted to see it, and it is so high up on my list, and yet, for some reason, the place never has it, or it simply slips my mind...
God, Brazil is fantastic... and the 3-disc DVD is incredible...

All of Tim Burton's movies have that "look"--especially Sleepy Hollow.

Just watched From Hell last night, and it looked awesome--the colors of the sky at night...

And I definitely agree, Patti, about Donnie Darko.

Originally posted by Mary Loquacious

God, Brazil is fantastic... and the 2-disc DVD is incredible...

The 3 Disc Criterion Collection is amazing is that what your talking about.
1 disc with new tranfer & comm by Gilliam
2 disc with behind the scene and all that other good stuff
3 disc with cut version and comm

Sh*t, you're right. Brain fartage. Thanks, LB!

And Mary Lo trudges back to her post, to edit away...

I started to watch the cut version and it was so painful within the first 2 minute I ejected from my player

I heard that. The director's cut is the only way to go!

A strange thing about that collection--no American theatrical version. That's not a big deal, since the director's cut is pretty much definitive, but you'd think they'd have included all three versions since it's a behemoth anyway.

I dunno. The documentary rocks!

"Information Transit got the wrong man. I got the right man. The wrong one was delivered to me as the right man, I accepted him on good faith as the right man. Was I wrong?"

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by patti
this needs to be thought out, and i gotta fly right now....so i'll be back with a much bigger list......but for starters;

what dreams may come
You no thinkie long enough! This movie sucked! Well, in my opinion of course...
I just really hated it.

If we were playing charades:

Wet. Dreams. Make. Come.

look at all those typos...oops!!

Wet. Dreams. Make. Come.

One of my favorite movie titles for Charades:

Tango & Cash

Also a visually superior film...

Originally posted by sadesdrk
You no thinkie long enough! This movie sucked! Well, in my opinion of course...
I just really hated it.

If we were playing charades:

Wet. Dreams. Make. Come.

look at all those typos...oops!!
Poor Patti
taking adventage of her Robin Williams fetish

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by L .B . Jeffries

Poor Patti
taking adventage of her Robin Williams fetish
How cute are you, L.B.?? HOW cute?

Anyhoodles...
I liked Batman. It was very visually stimulating. Especially since the first time I saw it, I was like, 14 and easily impressed; but it's still a cool-@ss movie.

Definately Batman. Tim Burton's Gotham City is the only cinematic Gotham City. Screw you and your giant freaky statue thingies, Schumacher!!

Have we mentioned Kubrick? The Shining, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Barry Lyndon?

He shot Lyndon using mostly(?) candlelight--it looks awesome...