Decade's Top 100 Films: 2000-2009

→ in
Tools    

I'm thinking of making one of these for the 1990s... thoughts?

See the trailer here:

Do what you will my man. Lists aren't really my thing but i'll read anyone elses.

I think my Top 100 would be very different; yours has lots of films I think are poor (eg Requiem for a Dream, Mystic River, Million Dollar Baby, Science of Sleep, Hard Candy, The Passion of the Christ, Collateral, The Prestige, The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas, The Dreamers, Garden State); many more that I consider competent but ultimately very average (it appears that you place more value on the technical parts of filmmaking than I do); and unless I missed something, no animation (after an incredible decade from Pixar and to a lesser extent Studio Ghibli) or documentaries. However, there are a few real gems (Lost in Translation and Y Tu Mama Tambien being the standouts) and the work you've put into the descriptions is very impressive indeed. I'd definitely read your 90s one.

How about you just make a Top 100 for every decade?

Haha, but seriously I would like to see a Top 100 of the 90's.

Michael,
I just have to tell you that I find your Top 100 list here to be extremely refreshing. Particularly, the inclusion of Tape, Gerry, Bully, Mean Creek, Elephant, Last Days,the Assassination of Richard Nixon, & Before the Devil Knows Youre Dead really hit home for me. Lets face it, youre just not going to see these titles on many peoples' lists. However, they align perfectly w/my taste. Im working on a Top 50 of the decade, & mine included all of the ones I mentioned above. Well,except for Mean Creek, & thats only because its been so long since I watched it. I had kind of forgotten about it actually.

I made note of well over a dozen from your list that I desperately want to see now. So, thank you for the recommendations!

Here are a few I love that you may enjoy, if you havent seen them already. I did not see them on your list.

Hedwig & the Angry Inch (2001)
The Pledge (2001)
The Station Agent (2003)
The Woodsman (2004)
Brick (2006)
Chop Shop (2007)
Spiral (2007)
The Merry Gentleman (2008)

I'm thinking of making one of these for the 1990s... thoughts?

I would absolutely be interested in that.

Michael,
I just have to tell you that I find your Top 100 list here to be extremely refreshing. Particularly, the inclusion of Tape, Gerry, Bully, Mean Creek, Elephant, Last Days,the Assassination of Richard Nixon, & Before the Devil Knows Youre Dead really hit home for me. Lets face it, youre just not going to see these titles on many peoples' lists. However, they align perfectly w/my taste. Im working on a Top 50 of the decade, & mine included all of the ones I mentioned above. Well,except for Mean Creek, & thats only because its been so long since I watched it. I had kind of forgotten about it actually.

I made note of well over a dozen from your list that I desperately want to see now. So, thank you for the recommendations!
Glad you like the list so much! It's always nice to find fans of films like the ones you listed, which tend to go unnoticed by a lot of people. Let me know what you think of any that you end up watching.

Here are a few I love that you may enjoy, if you havent seen them already. I did not see them on your list.

Hedwig & the Angry Inch (2001)
The Woodsman (2004)
Brick (2006)
I have seen these three. Brick is really close to being included, but it needs a re-watch. I also like Hedwig, but not enough for a top 100. I admired elements of The Woodsman but I did have some issues with it. I gave it a 3 out of 5, if I remember correctly. Kevin Bacon is very good in it.

The Pledge (2001)
The Station Agent (2003)
Chop Shop (2007)
Spiral (2007)
The Merry Gentleman (2008)
As for these ones, I haven't seen any of them but I will make a point of doing so. Thank you for the recommendations!

Movie Forums Extra
I like Requiem for a dream, it has fantastic ideas in it

Employee of the Month
Good list. It`s nice to see movies like Collateral and Departed there - and some political stuff. That means you are no movie-snob . I would also like to add another DiCaprio/Crowe-movie: Body of Lies. Not the best one ever, but still pretty good. I also miss A Beautiful Mind, Slumdog Millionaire and Milk.

Body of Lies was another movie that was inches away from being on this list. I agree that it's a very good film, but ultimately 100 just isn't a big enough number for all the films I really liked this decade.

Glad you like the list so much! It's always nice to find fans of films like the ones you listed, which tend to go unnoticed by a lot of people. Let me know what you think of any that you end up watching.
I definitely will. Also I would love to hear your thoughts on the ones I mentioned if you ever get around to them.

To love and be loved in return
I appreciate your work! There are many films on the list I haven't seen yet, thanks for your recommendations!

Very nice list, so good!

Ive seen Eastern Promises and I dont think I could have enjoyed it more. Next on the list is The Science of Sleep. Slowly making it through this list.

Nice list I have added a few to my must see list