If you could travel back in time and bring three movies with you...

Tools    

Tyler isn't here! Tyler went away! Tyler's gone!
First: a highly technical movie with amazing special effects- Avatar

Second: an upgrade in special effects but still the same movie- star wars 7

Third: a director that they knew in the 80'S- the departed

Was listening to a podcast where they got this question (was too long to put it in the title in its entirety) and was intrigued. The full question/senario was as following:

If you could travel back 35 years, bring three movies from 2000 or later and show them to an audience from the 80s, what would they be?
The first one is Avatar because that would really blow their minds.

Then the second and third ones would be The Big Short, and Spotlight to hopefully avoid those disasters. Of course that may disturb the somewhat talked about "space time continuum", but its worth a try.

This might just do nobody any good.
Pretty sad that you people would rather show people in the 1980's Mad Max: Fury Road instead of something that could really benefit them.
The issue with presenting movies from the future that are meant to help prevent catastrophes or corruption is: do you really avoid an issue, or do you just give the perpetrators room for something new?

I'm sure we could help with natural disasters. Here's a documentary on the tsunami in Japan or hurricane Katrina but something like The Big Short? Wouldn't that just open a door to another issue? Give people a new angle for something terrible?

I approached this question in a cinematic way, without world changing effects in mind, just a kind of World's Fair "See the Future" sort of presentation.

Though if someone does make that "Secret Honor" inspired movie on Trump I've talked about and show it 30 years ago, sure, maybe we could change some things. But Back to the Future II didn't. Maybe they would just laugh at the idea.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Right... so... 35 years is 1982...

Post-2000 movie.

Gotta be LOTR Extended Cut Trilogy.
I reckon that'd revolutionise cinematic vision and make people think broader in terms of storytelling and we wouldn't have to put up with most of the bilge that gets thrown around today.
Thought of that too. They had a rash of fantasy films trying to become big mainstream hits during the 80s, so to show them something like LOTR would probably get some awesome reactions.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
I've actually thought about what would happen if you could travel back in time and show an audience a new movie...but the 1980s isn't so much different than today's movies and an 80s audience would probably say 'so what, you guys in the future call that a good movie!'

But go back to the 1940s or 1930s and they would be amazed at some of our movies and probaly hate some of them too.
Ok, so what would you take back?