The Informant!

→ in
Tools    

Here's my review of The Informant!, which I saw on Wednesday. Very odd, but very funny. I've seen a fair number of subtle/unusual comedies, and liked plenty of them, but this one definitely stands apart. It feels a bit more experimental. Anyway, I dug it.

Here's an excerpt of the review, with a link to the rest, as always.

The Informant!

The Informant! is not like other purported "dark" comedies, and its considerable humor seems to have come almost entirely from the editing process. It often seems as if they've taken a fairly serious film and decided to morph it into a comedy by injecting flippant music and irreverent narration. Add an ironic exclamation point to the end of the title for good measure, and voilą: an understated, self-aware comedy....READ MORE

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Another quality review!
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Here is what I thought of the film. What I find interesting is that at first Whitacre's inner monologue just seems to reflect somebody whose inner life is separated from his day-to-day routine (and it is that), but eventually the specifics of what he's saying get very personal. For example, the fact that he's obsessed with how butterflies and polar bears can camouflage themselves is amazingly spot-on, and that scene near the end where he starts to let out what he's thinking inside is another good example of showing character using the "narration".

That's a great point that I would have liked to have touched on, but felt would be difficult to do without spoiling things a bit. But I like the way you put that, and completely agree. The narration starts mainly as a delivery mechanism for most of the brain-dropping observational comedy, but it evolves throughout the film and becomes pretty profound in the last 20 minutes or so.

SOund fairly interesting. I think ill see it. Thanks for the review.

Offbeat movie that, with limited success, tries to make light of some serious stuff involving corporate corruption at the highest managerial levels. What makes this even more significant is that the events dramatized in this movie are supposedly based on actual events which, if true, calls into question the reliability of witnesses in criminal investigations who themselves are criminals. Embezzlement and fraud are serious crimes, but when a person committing such serious crimes becomes a star witness for a full-blown government investigation targeting a major international corporation, then this cast a huge, dark shadow over the credibility of criminal investigation itself. This movie is also about to what lengths government officials are willing to believe such unsavory informants even as these informants continue to flagrantly break numerous laws. Matt Damon gives an excellent performance as the main character, Mark Whitacre, a man who on his own initiative feeds the government information while he continues to embezzle huge sums of money. The movie shows how the government almost becomes complicit in Whitacre's's criminal behavior and how it causes an incredible and irreparable amount of damage. Does being an informant absolve one of guilt for crimes committed? Watch the movie and find out.

As a pretty big fan of Soderbergh in general, it was quite an enjoyable experience. Hilarious and thoughtful with a great soundtrack. I've been becoming a bigger fan recently of the Red Camera after seeing The Girlfriend Experience, The Informant!, and Che. Pretty dynamic visuals

Maybe it's just me, but I find Soderbergh to be one of the most interesting directors working today.

Yoda and I seem to be right on with our ratings lately. I'd give it around the same grade.

I honestly disliked this film in the extreme...2hours I'd like to have back.

I am looking forward to this one; just as soon as Netflix queues it up.

I thought it was a bit long, especially nearing the end. MD has skills though.

It's underwhelming to someone expecting more drama though. Its a bit too realistic which makes it a bit boring.