The 12th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Barbara is a very restrained and quiet drama set in 1980 East Germany that focuses on atmosphere feeling story about one woman's experience in a closely monitored police state where neighbours, co-workers, and even family members kept a close eye on each other to inform on any potential defectors or Western influences.
From what you wrote, Barbara sounds like my kind of film and I'm really looking forward to it. I love intelligent, quiet dramas that use atmosphere to tell the story...and I especially appreciate restraint in film making.

it's much more effective and credible than the more popular and acclaimed The Lives of Others (2006)
I really liked the first half of The Lives of Others but I wasn't a big fan of how that movie then shifted gears and focused on the lonely Stasi police officer. Here's a link to my review if anyone is interested in reading it, it's not long. The Lives of Others review

We got at least a foot of snow... All my shoveling is now done and the driveway plowed.
Yeah, I went out every four inches, so the shoveling was pretty easy...
Shoveling snow? what's that....we hardly get any snow in the Pacific Northwest, though there's an inch on the ground as I type. But not enough to make a snow beer cooler out of! Cool pic

The Dirty Jerz good sir
I don't miss the northeast. Although we had less than an inch in GA yesterday and none of my crew showed for work till 3 hours late. I don't know what's worse the actual treachery of the northeast or the way the south deals with the winter.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Just got home and had a look. Interesting mix. I've only seen three of them before, including my own nom and I plan to rewatch them.

Wes Anderson AGAIN?!
the worst thing is: I am NOT a fan of Anderson, just this movie - sorry for the headache

as for the snow, we've been pretty lucky on this one, only an inch and just the single digit weather

and, WELCOME Royal!! I've seen your nom, GOOD movie!

Tyler isn't here! Tyler went away! Tyler's gone!
The Dirty Jerz good sir
I don't miss the northeast. Although we had less than an inch in GA yesterday and none of my crew showed for work till 3 hours late. I don't know what's worse the actual treachery of the northeast or the way the south deals with the winter.
LMAO, yeah, I remember going down to the south and there being less than an inch on the ground and everyone was going crazy. Kinda felt like an ass going 55 while they did 15

Just got home and had a look. Interesting mix. I've only seen three of them before, including my own nom and I plan to rewatch them.

Wes Anderson AGAIN?!
the worst thing is: I am NOT a fan of Anderson, just this movie - sorry for the headache

as for the snow, we've been pretty lucky on this one, only an inch and just the single digit weather

and, WELCOME Royal!! I've seen your nom, GOOD movie!
Thanks for the warm welcome Ed,as everyone else has (besides the fact I was accused of being someone's duplicate, LMAO)
And I wrote my review on yours, I'm eager to read what you have write about mine!

I'm glad there's some early interest in Barbara. Hopefully you guys aren't disappointed.

I really liked the first half of The Lives of Others but I wasn't a big fan of how that movie then shifted gears and focused on the lonely Stasi police officer. Here's a link to my review if anyone is interested in reading it, it's not long. The Lives of Others review
I've read your review of that before (and have previously given it rep).

There's not really any focus on the Stasi officers in Barbara, but their influence and presence is always felt. So it does share more similarities with the first half of The Lives of Others than it does with the second half.

(besides the fact I was accused of being someone's duplicate, LMAO)
That's sort of becoming a rite of passage around here haha.

Welcome to the suspected alts club!
Oh, and welcome to the forum as well.

Yeah Royale, it's a compliment to be considered similar to Camo.

Welcome to the forums!

Yeah Royale, it's a compliment to be considered similar to Camo.

Welcome to the forums!
Well thanks! I don't usually write on forums, so I'm glad to have picked one with a group of chill people.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
What the heck?! I'm gone two days and we get like three new people and a reveal? Ok, let's take a look...

*Reviews the nominations*

It's a good mix, old, new, classics and more unknown. Have seen Grand Budapest, but that's the only one besides my nom (no, I haven't seen Casablanca, such a bad moviebuff I am). This wiil be interesting, and I'm looking forward to it.

Btw, welcome Royal. Hope you'll like it here. I'm kind of new to this whole thing too, but this is a great gang of people, so I think you'll like it here.

Hey Clazor, glad to see that you liked your first HoF enough to join another

I'm looking forward to your nom, The City of Lost Children (1995) I've been interested in it for a long while, so now I will final see it

Also, with my nom you can choose between french and english audio. Listening to Ron Pearlman speaking french (phonetically, he couldn't speak the language so he just trained in the sound of it) is something to behold, so I urge you to go subbed if possible (plus, you don't get the annoying out of sync lips with sub). Besides, it brings something to the movie when the characters speak in a agressive french rather than english. Maybe it's something to do with the sound of the language, but a pissed off frenchman sounds much more enjoyable to my ears than a pissed off englishman/american.

Just my opinion though.

Hey Clazor, glad to see that you liked your first HoF enough to join another

I'm looking forward to your nom, The City of Lost Children (1995) I've been interested in it for a long while, so now I will final see it
Thank you, glad to see there's some interest. Acutally, since the 11th HoF I've been in another five, and am currently in this one, the universal/hammer HoF, the animated short HoF and the 40s HoF. Technically I'm done with the 40s, but it's still going on. Same with the full length animation HoF.

Let's just say I'm keeping busy. I'm likely going to have to leap-frog between the three current ones, so my rate might be a bit slow at first. Oh, well, you gotta do what you gotta do