Crying in movies

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
I think it would be far easier for me to start listing movies where I *didn't* cry.

A handful I can think of that do NOT bring tears:

--Airplane
--Fargo
--Marx Brothers movies
--Reservoir Dogs
--Mystery Science Theatre 3000
--Raising Arizona
--Eiger Sanction

Pretty much everything else can do it to me, including (but not limited to):

--All Disney movies, even ones with schmaltzy music
--All Mel Brooks movies
--Willy Wonka
--Every single Star Wars movie
--Just about every Spielberg flick
--Quirky films, such as Rushmore (loved it anyway!)
--The Big Chill
--All Gene Wilder movies
--Gone With the Wind
--The Wizard of Oz

You get the idea.
Yes, I'm female. It's part of my charm. So there.

MovieForums Extra

You just gotta love that!! I've never met a person that cries in every movie Hey Austruck, can I ask you, do you go to the movies often?

Thanks to TWT begging me nearly every week, I do get to go fairly often. I don't see as many movies as HE does, but then again, he's the moderator!

Plus, my husband and I are fairly newlywed (1.5 yrs), so he and I did the "dinner and a movie" date thing for a year or better.

We have digital cable with a handful of good movie channels, so I often just save my pennies and watch a lot of movies that way.

Yes, I cry way too often. When I go to the theatre, I buy popcorn and always grab a bunch of extra napkins, because I know those manipulative Hollywood types will GET to me ... AGAIN.

(Hey, I even cried at diaper commercials when I was pregnant!)

Oh, just to be clear -- TWT is my son.

I usually buy the tickets, and he often springs for the popcorn. I think that's a fair deal. Not as good as when I was dating my husband (who paid for everything), but not bad.

MovieForums Extra
Hehehehe Austruck, I didn't know you were TWT's mom Sounds like Chris can be quite a gentleman!

He is quite a gentleman, I gotta admit. He's much more mature than I was at his age (and I wasn't too bad).

Then again, I'm probably biased.
Well, nahhhhhhhhhhh.....

Well hey - seeing how well this site is doing makes me a lot more comfortable spending money. Apart from being a lot of fun, this site will probably be fairly profitable in the future.

And yes, she's my mom. She follows me arround to most of the forums I post in (not the techie/developers forum though...it'd give her a headache, I think) and likes to embarrass me.

But hey, as the Admin I can actually edit all her posts to say whatever I want them to say - cool, isn't it?

Wait, wait, wait...

I don't follow you around! You WANT people to sign up at these sites, right? Where I go, other people follow, as you might have noticed elsewhere.

And, you know that if you start editing my posts, no more rides to the Destinta Theatre for you, mister!

By the way, the only reason I mentioned being your mom was so that other readers didn't think I was going out to the movies with some young guy and yet married to someone else!

Next time I promise I'll say I'm your cousin.

MovieForums Extra

Interesting mother/son insight
Chris, when this site really takes off, you can take us all on a Carribean cruise, first class, with all the actors/actresses we frequently talk about here, on board to entertain us!

Now that would be cool. It'd definintely be cool to arrange meetings and such - or, better yet, group movie trips! I think we have 3 or 4 people who are living outside of the US, though.

MovieForums Extra

Yep, you're right there, Ollie's from Britain I gather, and I'm from Down Under

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Actually I could probably drive to where Chirs lives in about 3 maybe 4 hours. It's only one state over.

I cried when I saw Joy Luck Club. I read the book after, and its much less harsh--in fact, rather funny. I rarely cry at movies too, although lately I've been getting a little more sentimental.

I just saw large chunks of Joy Luck Club on cable the other afternoon. The parts I saw were quite moving, so I'm sure that it would have choked me up if I had been able to sit and watch the whole thing straight through.

Oh! I forgot to say I cried in The Sixth Sense when the little girl leaves the other little girl her doll because she knows she likes it. Waaaa! :bawl:

MovieForums Extra

I don't think I cried in the Sixth Sense, I was more scared the first time I saw it...

Movies that turned me into a little girl:

**Warning - Possible Spoilers**
  • Blow
    When, at the end, George fantasizes that his daughter comes to see him and they have the emotional talk, but then George snaps out of it and realizes that she wont come to see him and hasn’t seen him in over ten years. He has lost her forever.
  • Saving Private Ryan
    The final bookend with the immortal words, “Tell me I’m a good man” and when Wade makes his speech in the old church how he had squandered time with his mother just because he was a stupid kid, “Why’d I do that?”
  • Breaking the Waves
    When Terry wakes up Jan to come to the ships bridge, checks that the radar still shows nothing even remotely near their rig, and they hear the church bells.
  • Signs
    When Graham’s family sits down to dinner and has their confrontations and also when Graham tells his children about their births.
  • The Passion of the Christ
    When Peter discovers that Christ’s prophecy has come true and also when we see Mary running to Him when he drops the cross and there’s a cut scene with Him as a child skinning his knee.
  • The Lion King
    I bawled like a baby when Mufasa died.
  • Steel Magnolias
    At the funeral M’Lynn cries out, “WHY, WHY, WHY, why, why???”
  • Empire of the Sun
    “I can’t remember what my parent’s look like.”
  • Titanic
    When Rose lets go of Jacks hand after the sinking.
  • In the Name of the Father
    When Da dies.
**Warning - Possible Spoilers**
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Oh, yeah, definately, yeah.
Black Hawk Down - When the guy's leg is shot, and they're doing surgery on it, and before he dies, he asks one of the other guys to tell his parents that he fought well.

Braveheart
- "They may take our lives, but they will never take, our freedom!". And the end when he yells "FREEEEEDOOOOOMMM!"

I know it may not be alot, but in Reservoir Dogs, when you first see Mr. Orange is shot in the car. I know, I know...w.e. lol.

Life is Beautiful
- when the dad is killed when he's trying to find his wife.

The Boondock Saints - When Rocco is killed, and he says that the brothers can't give up and that they have to keep going.

And Slaytan's Signs example

The Emperor of Ice Cream
Braveheart: "Freedom!"
The Passion of the Christ: Many, many scenes.
Donnie Darko: The ending sequence when we see everyone realizing the severity of what they do (or could have done) and Donnie in his bed either thinking it was all a dream or realizing that he is not alone in this world. All this happening as "Mad World" plays.