M.I.B.2

→ in
Tools    

For a dumb, effects-filled Summer movie, Men In Black II ain't bad. But sadly, it's not even close to the charm and fun of the original either. It's about the equivalent of comparing Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters 2. Neither sequel is unwatchable, if only because the same wonderful actors have assembled again, but the plotting the second time is tired and overwhelms the fun character stuff. Oh well.

Once again, Tommy Lee Jones steals the entire movie with his facial expressions and line readings. Will Smith is Will Smith, and effortlessly so (a very good thing in this kind of role). Patrick Warburtun is a real favorite of mine, and he's his usual deadpan funny self...for the four minutes he's actually in the movie. Rip Torn is back as Zed, and has about as much to do this time as well (too little, if you ask me). Tony Shaloub is back as Jack Jeebs, and that scene is the most like the flavor of the first flick. David Cross - who played a different character killed in the first one, is hysterical in his brief episode as well. Too bad Linda Fiorentino didn't come along this time, because watching her character progress would have been good.

The "worm guys" from the coffee break room in the original are given expanded roles, and it's a welcome addition. And the talking pug is also given a bigger role, which works too. The new damsel, the beautiful Rosario Dawson, doesn't have to do much and her character is underdeveloped (even for this kind of a movie), but she's certainly easy on the eyes and has a natural warmth on camera. Hell, I wouldn't neurolize her either.

The main flaw in this one, apart from the rather lackluster uninspired plot, is that the main villain isn't fun. Vincent D'Onofrio was so damn good as the Edgar Bug in the original. Lara Flynn Boyle, though given a bit more to do here screentime-wise than Edgar, adds nothing at all. Too bad. We see a lot more Aliens this time around, but I found them to be a lot less interesting as well.

Eh. Could have been a lot better, but with lowered expectations it can still be OK Summer fun.

Grade: C+

Oh yeah, and there's a little non-MIB cartoon attached to the beginning. It's just kind of OK too, certainly not going to rival Pixar and the shorts they've been putting on the front of their flicks.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Couldn't have said it any better..

I found some of the humor to be dry and forced, but some of it was taken in moderation and worked out well. Jones worked wonders in his role (just like Holden said).

This time around, it just seemed to be as if they didn't care just as long as they got a sequel out there. It turned into a big kiddie movie (in a sense) and I lost any interest in it.

It does prove to be an OK movie (again, just like Holden said) and if you feel you must see it this weekend (Powerpuff Girls and Like Mike may not be what you're looking for) it's worth checking out.

I give it a C for low-budget CG effects, mostly dry humor and just the fact that Johnny Knoxville was in it. He CAN be funny, but he should stick to being a Jackass.

The things I liked about MIB2:

Smith, Jones, Dawson, The Pug, Worm guys, all made the movie worthwhile. Shalhoub and Torn were also nice to see again, but with all of those people in one movie, still wasn't enough to save it.

Holden, I have to disagree with you on Warburton. Yes, he was his normally dimwitted self, but after his short run as The Tick, and after being David Putty for a few years, I'm ready to see him actually say more than four worded sentences.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I just got back from seeing Men In Black II too, and I thought it was great. It kept my attention all the way through it and there are so few movies that can do that. I had a good time at the movies.

I can't remember everything from the first Men In Black movie, but from what I do recall, I think I liked the sequel better. I liked the whole message of being with your loved ones, I liked the new female villian (she was pretty nasty, but what's with the cliche of always having a female villian in part twos and a male villian in part ones? I notice this so much)

It has some flaws... most notably to me is

WARNING: "Men In Black II" spoilers below
What the hell happened to Johnny Knoxvilles character?! He just disappeared. Did he get killed? If so, I missed it somehow.

And, Michael Jackson is in it for a minute. He didn't need to say anything funny... everyone in the audience had a good gaffaw when he appeared on the screen.

WARNING: "Men In Black II" spoilers below
I can be Agent M...

Can't wait to see Men In Black III.

Grade: B+

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Originally posted by Jason
And, Michael Jackson is in it for a minute. He didn't need to say anything funny... everyone in the audience had a good gaffaw when he appeared on the screen.
You put in the spoiler tag the funny thing he says. I thought his scene was hilarious.

Yeah, it was the funny thing he said, but I'm saying that he didn't need to say anything. The whole audience cracked up just from seeing his face!

I'm not old, you're just 12.
This was actually pretty funny. It was better than Ghostbusters 2, the movie it very easily could have been like. I wish Linda Fiorentino could have made a cameo, at least, instead of just being written off in one tossed off line. I liked Rosario Dawson, whom I have never heard of before MIB II. She's very cute. Has she been in anything else worth watching? All in all, I give MIB II a B+.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Originally posted by Monkeypunch
I liked Rosario Dawson, whom I have never heard of before MIB II. She's very cute. Has she been in anything else worth watching?
He Got Game, primarily (she plays the protagonist's main squeeze), which, to me, is a truly remarkably film. I'm not a big Spike Lee fan in general, but that one's a must-see, in my opinion. Her performance within is quite good, too. She's a very attractive, talented young woman.

i thought it was pretty good, but not at alll like the first one (in goodness standards) Tommy Lee Jones was great.

And as for he got game, i liked it, but bamboozled was great.
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me