Orange County

→ in
Tools    

i thought this movie was funny, its not funny like royal tenenbaums funny, but i still lol'ed my good share of times, some of u older ppl might not like it as much, i wouldnt recommend it for u, but it was a good way to spend 2 hours with some friends.
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

I enjoyed this flick a good deal. Nothing spectacular, but it was enjoyable overall. I would see it again.

I especially loved Mike White's cameo as the English Teacher. Collin Hanks did an excellent job carrying the film. Schylur Fisk's part could've been played by anyone just as well, but she did a good-enough job.

Jack Black had many funy moments, as did Catherine O'Hara.

In the end, if you don't see it, you really aren't missing all that much. But it was a nice way to spend an hour and a half or so.

I don't know that it was worth the price of the matinee ticket, but Orange County was OK. I'd recommend waiting for video in a few months, but you could do worse on a weekend afternoon. And it was mercifully short, which helps. It must have been about only 80-minutes long.

It was directed by Jake Kasdan, who also helmed Zero Effect and the short-lived TV show "Freaks & Geeks". He's also the son of Larry Kasdan (Body Heat, Silverado, The Big Chill, etc.). The script by Mike White is certainly better than the Saving Silverman/Farrely Bros. type, but that isn't to say it's good or at all ambitious either. It's straight-ahead, and happily only has a couple minor gross-out gags.

Most of the comedy is derived from the wonderful supporting cast. Jack Black is pantsless and, of course, hysterical. But beyond him, Catherine O'Hara and John Lithgow are strong doing their usual schtick (well) as his parents, Chevy Chase, Lily Tomlin, Kevin Kline and Harold Ramis have good bits as various educators/school-related folk, good ol' Garry Marshall does his thing as a snobbish rich fella, one of my unknown favorites Jane Adams (Happiness, Wonder Boys, Mumford, The Anniversary Party) is a mousy secretary turned-on by the walking Id that is Jack Black, and Ben Stiller even shows up as a fireman. Every single one of those actors, doing what are essentially cameos for most, help this little project immesurably.

The two leads are OK. I don't watch that Sci-Fi TV show Tom Hanks' kid is on, but he's fine as the lead here (though not any more than fine). Frankly he's not up to what his dad could do in this patently dumb kind of material, like "Bosom Buddies" and Bachelor Party. His father had a kind of natural charm and energy that rose above the material. Can't say the same thing for Colin, not at this stage anyway. Coming off slightly better is Schuyler Fisk (who I'd never seen before) as his loyal girlfriend. She's second-generation Hollywood too, the daughter of Oscar-winning actress Sissy Spacek and director/production designer Jack Fisk. But she's not much more than fine either.

And the movie would have been a bit better right away if they'd killed off all three of his Surfer Dude buddies instead of just one of 'em.

Mildly diverting, but that's more than you can say for most of this tripe aimed at the teen market these days.

Grade: C+
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Okay, I am not sure if there already was a thread about this, but I'm sure someone will tell me if there was.

I just saw Orange County this week, and I really liked it. It was funny, original, and even, dare I say it, thoughtful. It was the best love letter to dysfunctional families since the Osbournes. Jack Black is clearly the new John Belushi, minus the drugs and self-destructive tendencies. I liked that it avoided cheap gross out humor and really took it's characters problems seriously even as they played them for dark humor. It was also good to see Catherine O'Hara in movies again. She's too funny to just be known as the mom from Home Alone. This is a really great movie, and I'll probably buy it in the near future.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

EDIT: just use the search option from now on.
but yeah i liked it was good and all that

Never you mind about Merc, Monkey!

I totally agree with you about Orange County--it's like the Simpsons. When I first saw promos for it, I had a knee-jerk reaction against it, like, 'great, another movie glorifying idiots,' but it wasn't like that at all. The idiots were hilarious, you'd never want to be like them, but since what's-his-name loved them, we can, too. And your life isn't ruined if you live among them.

Great example of learning to 'internalize your locus of control,' to use psychospeak.

The best scene of all was Jack Black vacuuming his room, doing cartwheels over his bed in his underwear (was that a spoiler? )--No. I take that back: the best scene was the livingroom scene with the two 'important visitors.'

I rate it four laughing emoticons:

Originally posted by mecurdius
THATS WHY YOU SEARCH! THATS WHAT THE OPTION IS FOR!
settle down, Beavis. Turn the caps lock off and mellow out. really....

I enjoyed this move very much. It was very funny and entertaining. a must see

Originally posted by mecurdius
EDIT: just use the search option from now on.
Ha HA! I got yo' @ss! tryin' to make yourself look less angry! It's all good, though.

Get Low, Get Low, Get Low
I found this movie to be funny. Colin Hanks has potential even following his father.
Jack Black is hilarious, He has come a long way from the Cable Guy.
I would give this movie thumbs up!

i think jack black is more like the next chris farly