Amazed at Elf Box Office stats

Tools    

I can not believe that Elf took out Matrix for this past weeks box office lead. It was so supprising, I was a person that thought matrix sucked, but I never thought it would fall from #1 in a week.

Linkin Park Forums

Affordable and Reliable Web Designs and Hosting

Portfolio!!
www.MeteoraStudios.com
www.DigitalEinstein.com
www.LinkinParkForums.com

It doesn't surprise me in one bit. Elf wa a better movie, and has a bigger target audience than the Matrix even though the Matrix was a more well known name.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Originally Posted by projectMayhem
It doesn't surprise me in one bit. Elf wa a better movie, and has a bigger target audience than the Matrix even though the Matrix was a more well known name.
Elf also had/has heavy marketing and ads on the TV (at least around here). It's also one of the first holiday movies this year and seemed to have no competition in that department. I think it was well-marketed and the ads targeted folks in just the right way. I think poor word of mouth about Matrix Revolutions did it in. For myself, I can admit that I adored the first Matrix, truly enjoyed the second one and was excited about seeing the third, but I STILL haven't seen it. Just haven't had the time and haven't bothered to MAKE time. Why? Mostly due to everyone telling me not to go at ALL!

Originally Posted by ATLien
I can not believe that Elf took out Matrix for this past weeks box office lead. It was so supprising, I was a person that thought matrix sucked, but I never thought it would fall from #1 in a week.
Not to toot my own horn, but I saw this one coming. Admittedly, however, I thought it'd be a bit closer. The Matrix Revolutions fell 66%, if memory serves, from one weekend to the next, which is virtually unheard of this early on.

Elf, however, is getting strong reviews and good word of mouth, and only dropped 15%; which is nothing short of stunning. Looks like it's got legs; even if they do happen to be wearing pointy shoes.

Originally Posted by Yoda
Looks like it's got legs; even if they do happen to be wearing pointy shoes.
Lets not forget the tights.

My life isn't written very well.
Elf is a good example of what the industry likes to call a "sleeper".

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

Originally Posted by r3port3r66
Elf is a good example of what the industry likes to call a "sleeper".
I agree with you, also agree with everyone, but I would have thought the Matrix would have done atleast 2 weeks at number 1. I too thought it sucked, but it suprised me.

Timing is key, I think not only because we are on the brink of the holiday season, but it was perfect as it targeted an audience who wanted a fun movie that was more family oriented.