Canadian Film Industry?

Tools    

Canadian locations such as Toronto are used all the time by big budget Hollywood films but does Canada have a unique film industry?

Some people say that the Canadian film industry is just a bunch of low budget films about the wilderness. Can you think of any high quality Canadian films?

The Canadian government has a firm strangle hold on the films being made in the country. Since most of the films that are made in Canada are funded by the government, you will see an abundance of very similar, mediocre projects.

What the Country is lacking are Maverick filmmakers, who are ready to bring Canadian Films to that next step. Though, at the moment, many of the big festivals in Canada (ie Toronto), work in part with the government, so any film not funded by the government, will most likely not get selected to play. That way, the government can keep Canadian films just the way they like them.

Too bad this system either deters the interesting filmmakers from making films (I know many that have quit after a long torturous struggle), or it sends them of to America.

Well, the Country is still young, and I remain faithful. One interesting Canadian film I saw was called "Ginger Snaps". I was also amused by "Waydowntown".

Originally Posted by dhagar
Canadian locations such as Toronto are used all the time by big budget Hollywood films but does Canada have a unique film industry?

Some people say that the Canadian film industry is just a bunch of low budget films about the wilderness. Can you think of any high quality Canadian films?

I'm embarassed to say as a Canadian that your right, I can't say we are up there with the French, Germans, Italians and obviously American theatre moguls..were too busy watching American films, and we don't have the money that's why so much of our talents are handed over to the American films.