Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

→ in
Tools    

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Saw this today, around noon, and I have to say I loved it. I honestly do not see how anyone can not like this movie. The CGI was amazing, best I have ever seen. The plot was very strong. The acting was great. If there was anything wrong with this movie, it was that they haven't quiet got the lip movements down on all the characters, which makes it seem like the characters are bad actors. BUT that was an extremely minor detail, if you should consider it at all.

It's actually werid watching a movie with such realistic everything in it. At first, its strange because you try to pick out things wrong with the CGI, because you don't want to accept how amazing it is, but then after a while, you forget it isn't real, and get caught up in the amazing story! I give it 4 out of 4 stars! Fun for everyone, says me!

Oh, and some more insentive to go see it. It has a crazy cool preview for Spiderman!

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I found this movie to be very good. Someone had said that this being based on a video game might not do so well, but the good thing about FF is that each game tells a different story so it was like playing FF10 or something.

Set in the year 2065, this movie is one of those that you must have when it comes out for sale! The visuals alone are breathtaking. Some of the charecters look familiar as does their voice talents. Aki Ross' voice was done by Ming Na, which if you watch ER would recognize, or if you've seen Mulan. Captain John..little fuzzy on the last name's..voice was done by Alec Baldwin, his charecter bares a resemblance to Ben Affleck which would bring you to believe that a younger person could of been picked to voice this charecter(all and all, works fairly well.) Other charecters included a voice done by Ving Rhames, which his charecter had to be one of the best done visually. Steve Buscemi voiced as well, and his charecter bares a resemblance to Edward Norton. Another girl voiced, but I forgot her name on the credits, she bares a resemblance to another video game icon who's movie was also released this summer. Donald Sutherland voices the best charecter visually wise. His first appearence in the movie makes him look very real.

The story for this was done very well, as was just about everything else. It get's a little laggy from time to time, but it makes up for itself in every single shot. Go check it out, if nothing else be mesmorized by the Spider-Man trailer!!!!!
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

In the movie theater I work in they are showing Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within digitally. We are one out of the only 7 theaters that do. It uses a digital system called DLP (Digital Light Processing) created by Texas Instruments. The picture is amazing!!!!! Just thought I'd let you all know.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
i can't wait, i can't wait! *foaming at the mouth*

i went yesterday but they were sold out. i'm going this weekend. i can't wait! i can't wait i tell you!!!

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I've been reading mixed reviews on this movie. I loved it, not just the fact that it was very real looking at times, but the fact that it was more than a movie based on a video game. True, it has its moments of slowness, but just give it a chance.

Anyone not wanting to see it based on a review that gave it a poor rating, go check it out just for the heck of it. It's well worth it.

I unfortunately have never gotten a chance to play Final Fantasy though that didn't stop me from liking the movie. The movie's characters were so lifelike and the film itself was just so powerful. If I never knew FF was a game, I would say to myself that this just one hell of a movie. Of course knowing it is, I still think it is, unlike all of the other so called video game to movie flicks such as Super Mario Brothers and etc.
May everyone go check out this milestone of animation....especially all FF lovers. ENJOY!!!!

Rock God
i saw this movie yesterday, and was totally impressed. i'm gonna go out on a limb and say that this movie had the best animation i've ever seen, ever. the visuals completely blew my mind. i've read a lot of posts complaining that the plot was stupid, or whatever, but really, the plot was just fine. the writing wasn't genius, but so what? i admit, the scifi jibberish lost me quite a few times, mainly because scifi isn't my thing, but if you're a fan, this is probably the best time you'll have at the movies this summer. the only thing i didn't understand was why they made alec baldwin's character look exactly like ben affleck, or why steve buscemi's character looked exactly like jason priestly, but whatever. damn, i'm having trouble coming up with negative sides. ok, except for constantly being bombarded with goofy scifi crap, there is no downside to this movie. the plot was good, the voice acting was good, and like i said, you'll never find a movie that has more mind bogglingly good visuals in it. i still can't even fathom how they managed to make a cartoon that looks this good. believe the hype. if you go for no other reason than just to SEE it, then go for that.

Rock God
by the way, i've played Final Fantasy games before (VII and VIII come highly recommended. if you don't have a Sony Playstation, they are available for PC) anyway, the movie does have the same general feel as the video games, an area i was pretty impressed with. for those of you who don't know, the games all feature completely different characters, settings, and plots. unlike movie sequels where characters are the same, and plots tend to pick up where the last one left off, Final Fantasy games all feature brand new places, people, and even the general atmosphere of the game are different. for example, Final Fantasy III for the Super Nintendo took place in a medieval type "fantasy" setting, whereas VIII took place in a futuristic scifi setting.

by the way, the Spider-Man trailer was excellent, but too short. more would have been cool.

I agree with Brodie: animation-wise, it's the best thing ever created, really. However, that doesn't mean the movie doesn't suck.

I wasn't expecting much of a plot. I didn't need much of a plot. It really wasn't necessary. As far as I was concerned, they just needed a simple storyline that made sense. This simple request was not met.

SPOILERS BELOW

Nothing made sense! Oh yeah, they need 8 spirits to defeat the phantoms. But, uh, why? What is it about these spirits that makes them special? Why are there 8 of them? How do you bring them together when you have all 8? How do you determine which is one of the 8? And how did you come to believe all this earth spirit nonsense?

Bunch of tree-hugging hippies if you ask me. I would've put all that crap aside, if the rest of the movie had made sense. Oh, and those aliens: they looked too much like robots.

Rock God
i can't wait to see it. i hope it's good.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
How can you say that Chris?!?

Spoilers below

Each spirit has a certain wave signature in it. That wave signitaure can be identified by the contraption they built. Why they need 8? I don't know. Why they needed them at all? I don't know. But it didn't bother me at all. It doesn't make the movie any worse to me. And the aliens were at war, they may have looked like robots because they were wearing some sort of armor. Thats just what I assumed.

Originally posted by OG-
How can you say that Chris?!?

Spoilers below

Each spirit has a certain wave signature in it. That wave signitaure can be identified by the contraption they built. Why they need 8? I don't know. Why they needed them at all? I don't know. But it didn't bother me at all. It doesn't make the movie any worse to me. And the aliens were at war, they may have looked like robots because they were wearing some sort of armor. Thats just what I assumed.
SPOILERS BELOW...

Couldn't have been: they looked that way as phantoms, too, so they must have been poorly made. They looked way too much like robots. It's the AI syndrome.

Don't you see those as major holes? I mean, goodness, they won't tell us why they need 8, or what's so special about them? That's just retarded. Why on earth couldn't they just have some plain old storyline that at least made sense? It didn't have to be special...it just had to make sense. A baby could write a script that makes sense. It was totally careless and really ticked me off.