The Sweet Hereafter

→ in
Tools    

I think this film is a masterpiece. If any of you have seen it, do write what you thought of it, and why. I'm having a bit of an argument with one of the other frequent posters here (Zweeedorf) about the film, and I was wondering what you who've seen it thought about it.

I saw this and I liked it. Is this the one about the bus load of kids?

Personally I feel that this film is a masterpiece. Each scene is meticulously (sp) shot and there for a reason. The backdrop of the movie, a bleak wintery town, could not be more perfect. This is one of those rare movies that stirs the souls and forces yourself to question how you would react in a similar situation. What would it be like if you lost your only child in an accident? What if you were the bus driver, how would you recover from that? What if you were one of the only survivors of a horific accident, how would you deal with that?

This film is a definate must see!

The movie, for me, is about surviving when all hope is lost. I've heard it argued that there isn't a resolution, but how could there be? It's about carrying on. It's not a film about how a lawyer comes to a town to fight the system, it's much more complex than that. Nothing can be changed, the parents have to live with the fact that their children were killed, the bus driver has to live with her mistake. The lawyer says that he doesn't know who his daughter is, but when he remembers a time that he did know her, all it brought him was suffering. The movie asks questions a lesser film would shy away from. Why is it that his daughter's life is saved when she's a baby, but 18 years later she's going to die of drug addiction?

This is all true, but come on and give me a freakin resolution like any other movie. Also if this is such an emotional movie then why is it that I dont see any emotion from the characters. Geez, despite how I'm a little annoyed with all of the crying in PT Anderson movies The Sweet Hereafter makes me thankful for such sob movies as Magnolia (this is not a Magnolia bash I liked the movie.)

sorry i forgot something. I liked the part when the baby was saved (his daughter) that was the only good part of the movie. It's not a total waste for 5 minutes

I read the book before I saw the movie and I really hated the book so if there was any cinimatic value in the movie, I missed it just out of my hate for the book.

A standard resolution wouldn't work. The film is about the emotions. The scenes with Sarah Polley and the scenes where he interviews the bereaved families are heartbreaking, because the movie is so tender with the characters. It's a very quiet film, but there's a reason: sometimes words can't describe feelings.

...SPOILERS!

The lawyer's emotions are subtle, but if you're telling me that the scene with the bus driver, the scene where the single father breaks off his affair, the interview of Sarah Polley had no emotions, then you didn't see the same film that I did. The film isn't about how the lawyer comes to the town to fight the responsible party, it's more about the tones, the moods, the feelings of the characters. It's about carrying on when there's nothing left to live for. Things happen that no one can control, and people suffer. Life goes on, even when meaning for it does not. A conclusion would have trivialized the feelings of the characters.

And if you think that all films need to be wrapped up in a nice little package, then you my friend are a moron. A movie's conclusion should fit the story, and more importantly, the feelings. This film did that.

[Edited by Steve N. on 06-25-2001]

I'm sorry but there were no emotions in this movie at all. It was like watching a movie where Ben Stein plays every character

How about if I spoil seven samurai for you TWT? You know youll never watch it.

I remember a quote I read awhile back.

"Ignorance is the night of the mind."

That's Zwee in a nutshell.

Why in the hell won't TWT watch Seven Samurai?

Hey dont insult my man Zweee!!! I like him a lot. Hes got a z in his name like in Zorro. Of course I like most everybody especially if they give me junk food.

Thanks Lite but Steve calls me ignorant all of the time, but at least I'm not a cafe late drinking, stuck-up, no-it-all film BUFF. Just joking man. I will admit I'm an ignorant, hypocritical, Kubrick addict who can't stand to be wrong. I find these all to be strong points though. Nothing will ever change my mind that Hereafter is an eye-sore to all cinema.

LOL

You're still wrong