Oscars

Tools    

A good Errol Flynn is "Captain Blood". We need more pirate movies.

Yeah, what was that dumb pirate movie a few years back with Gina Davis? Ugggghhh, that was terrible & I relly wanted to like it too. I like swashbukling movies like Zorro. now that was a GREAT movie, antonio banderas & antony hopkins were super. Pigsnie also gave me a video of the original, The mark of Zorro wiht Tyron Power. Taht was very good also.

Captain Blood, I dont remember seeing that, altho I saw Charge of the Lite Brigade once. I like movies where evrybody dies. the best parts of RAN were when Hidetoras courtesans killed themselves, when Lady Kaides head got cut off spurt spurt spurt, when Lady Sues body lay in the grass without a head, and then the great battle scene at the Third Castle, when flamin arrows came zinging at hidetora & arms got lopped off & there was NO MUSIC!!!!!! I didnt even notice this until Pigsnie pointed it out, it was a great idea to have no music.

You're thinking of "Cutthroat Island", which lost more money than any movie in history. It's budget was $92 million in 1995 dollars (6 years ago!), and it brought in only $11 million. As IMDB put it:

Cutthroat Island is in the Guinness Book of World Records as the biggest loss of money for a film company ever.

Funny, huh? Michael Douglas nearly co-starred with Davis, but backed out due to conflict over the script. I'll bet he was pretty relieved later on. Good call Michael.

I don't think RAN won best Foreign film. Shameful. The fact that a movie as mediocre as Titanic can win the title "best picture of the year" is, aside from being completely wrong, disgraceful to the idea of naming a "best" anything.

Cutthroat Island sucked.

I thought The Mask of Zorro was rather boring. It dragged at times. But my God, Catherine Zeta-Jones is a beautiful mamacita. Yikes.

the thing with Zorro is...its a "Superhero" film. These films are all AGES old from comic books and stuff and each person has an unique image of how that film SHOULD be.

So Zorro,Spiderman,X-men,Hulk all those films and "To be made" Films will have more Dissappointments than Compliments.

P.S - I thought X-Men was a Cool movie,but as i said...so much MORE could have been done!!!

Nobody is ever going to please everyone when it comes to voting for favorites, but I think that the Oscars do a particularly bad job. Some studios seem to get mediocre films nominated every year because of massive publicity hypes. Other films are completely ignored (Citizen Kane, Fight Club, etc)...

Overall I feel that it's fun to make top 10 lists, but I pretty much ignore the Oscar nomination tags on movie boxes.

Having just recently gotten around to seeing "Requiem for a Dream," I have to argue that it was the most snubbed film of 2000. Ellen Burstyn was (appropriately) nominated for best actress -- only to lose to America's Sugar Princess, Julia Roberts. Burstyn's performance in "Requiem" was perhaps the most powerful I've ever seen on film. Roberts could never hope to approach that level.

In addition, the music, direction, and cinematography were deserving of at least nomination.

Bottom line: the Academy does not reward films on the basis of their merit -- it rewards (usually) good films that conform to accepted Hollywood formulae.

Hmmm, now there's some Oscar buzz going around for Sean Penn's recent work. Apparently he played a retarded man trying to retain custody of his daughter in a movei called "I Am Sam." I haven't seen it, but it sounds interesting. Who else do you guys think deserves from early Oscar buzz?

I haven't seen anything that wil get any notice from the academy, really.

I think that that snipe movie- um... Enemy at the Gates sucked but should get Set Direction.

He won't, but Louis CK should be nominated for Pootie Tang because there has never been anything like it.

What is Set Direction about?

It's teh creation of the sets, basically. Sleepy Hollow won it recently, I think Gladiator this year. If you've seen enemy at the gates, you'll know that the sets were magnificent. It takes place in a torn up Stalingrad, and it is torn up! It's really fantastic yet believable at the same time. Plus, I couldn't watch the movie so I watch the art and sets. i did the same with the Phantom Menace but that was all computers.

I just realized taht enemy at the gates came out like way long time ago, last year easily. It obviously cant win... hmmm...

I haven't seen any movies that will be considered for major awards but technicals? Apes will easily win makeup, and we've yet to see on costumes, ther'll probably be better.
It would do teh academy good to less usual movies like Pootie Tang and best director is the way to go.

Guy
so far this year I nominate Blow and Memento for best picture, Memento taking the honors.

but think about it, the Oscars are seen by millions of people around the world, they have to nominate the hits that people saw. That's why Gladiator, American Beauty, Titanic, and Sakesphere in Love won. They were widely seen.

I think a great awards ceremony are the "Independant Spirit Awards" which nominate smaller films. I believe last year Requiem won, and Election won in '99.

A.I. should win best picture, but it won't get nominated. Planet of the Apes will win best makeup, that's guaranteed. The Princess and the Warrior should win best foreign film, with the Widow of St. Pierre on the nominee list too, but that won't happen either. As of right now, Piper Perabo and Emma Thompson should be nominated for best actress (for Lost & Delirious and Wit), Haley Joel Osment and Guy Pearce for best actor (A.I. and Memento). It's no fun to make oscar predictions when not enough worthy stuff has come out.

Oh, I bet A.I. will be nominated.

Rock God
there is nothing wrong with AI at all. i had a couple complaints here and there, but overall i was impressed. anyway, i don't have any idea who will win this year. i really don't take the oscars that seriously, anyway. not because i don't respect the opinion of the academy, it's just that in the past there have been works that have influenced filmmakers and audiences the world over and have recieved no award. a lot of the times, what won is a very good film, but they have a tendancy to overlook stuff that is very relevant. i like the oscars, but i don't treat them like they are final say in what is truly the best picture of the year.

SPOILERS

There's plenty wrong with A.I. For one, half the people who see it think of those beings at the end as aliens, which is not correct. Seems like careless filmmaking to me. The whole ending was poorly done...and didn't make sense.

Rock God
i agree with you on the careless ending, but.... well, go read my review! it's still up on the review board. we shouldn't start debating this movie here, it's the oscar thread

Now With Moveable Parts
I can't say enough about Memento.I have never seen anything like it.Guy Pierce is so delicious and versitile.Carrie Ann Moss was good too,she's not so totally irritating like Wonder-Mouth,Julia Roberts.Planet of the Apes will win some as well as Shrek.Monsters Inc.is slated to be Pixar's best yet...bound to win a few.Fall/Winter movies are still to come and those are what the academy remembers.