Star Wars Sux!

Tools    

B&W
I'll leave it to this guy.

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip...00/indexb.html

Yours Sincerely,

B&W, Member of S.W.I.S.H (Star Wars Is So Horrible)

"Opinions are like @ssholes: everbody's got one, and everybody thinks everyone else's stinks."
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Um Bungo! Um Bungo!
I don't think it sucked, but I don't think it's anywhere near the "best films ever" catergory... I enjoyed watching them (not the phantom menacce - that WAS poo) but I wouldn't make too much of a big fuss about them

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Star Wars episodes 4-6 set the standard for Sci-Fi. Without Lucas and his Star Wars movies, we wouldn't have the most beloved thing in the world, THX.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Um Bungo! Um Bungo!
I find many films have influenced other films and set standards no matter how big or small in different times - but not all can be considered great. I find the best way to judge a film is whether it can stand the test of time - I can still watch the Third Man now for instance and still feel its excellence But with star wars it just feels, you know, normal. If it hadn't come out, something else would that would be considered the shapechanger of the market but would have probably taken a similar direction. But it's obvious that Star Wars does stand the test of time if it still has so many followers but it's definately not one of my "all time greats"

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Well, not everyone likes it and that's understandable.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, not everyone likes the same kinda movie.

I think that Lucas has tried to contemporize Star Wars with Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones by using younger, more well known actors/actresses. Lucas isn't stupid for putting N*SYNC in a scene, he's very smart. He's wanting to target more than those that dress up in costumes, change their name to sound like some whacked out star wars character, and all that other nonsense.

Now With Moveable Parts
I can't believe people would go as far as to actually say Star Wars sucks. I can't really believe their are the kind of die-hard-nut-so fans of the film either; They are just movies. Great movies. I think a lot of Sci-fi movies give credit to the Star Wars movies for paving the way for mainstream Sci-fi-fantasy films. I mean, what in the hell did we have in that genre BEFORE Star Wars? I'm really asking that question, because I'd like to know.

I suppose those eyes are rolling for me, huh? Well, then you can ignore this, Spuds, and Sades can read at her liesure.

There really wasn't an action-oriented Science Fiction genre going in American Films before Star Wars hit in '77. Sci-Fi had experienced extreme popularity in the '50s and through the '60s, but it reverted exclusively to pretty cheesy B-movie Drive-In fare by the end of its run.

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) reinvented the Sci-Fi genre, including sophisticated ideas and a major advancement in Special Effects. A splinter of that serious-minded allegorical Sci-Fi surfaced occasionally in the early '70s, with movies like Silent Running, Westworld, A Boy & His Dog, even Lucas' THX-1138. Fantasy was even deader than Sci-Fi. No studio was going to spend real money on a swashbuckler or story abut wizards and drangons.

But Jaws (1975) opened the market for big budget, action-oriented popcorn flicks, shattering all existing boxoffice records. Two years later, Star Wars was an even bigger hit and societal phenomenon, changing the movie business forever - for better and for worse (though mostly for worse, unfortunately). Close Encounters of the Third Kind was also released in '77 and was closer in spirit to 2001's legacy than Star Wars. But with the exception of variations like Ridley Scott's Alien - which merged the horror genre with the new Sci-Fi craze, clearly Star Wars was the model for the industry.

Big budget Sci-Fi/Fantasy as we know it, from the '80s to today, owes it all to Star Wars. Yes.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Holden Pike
Big budget Sci-Fi/Fantasy as we know it, from the '80s to today, owes it all to Star Wars. Yes.
Thank You.

i agree with holden.......'specially the quoted excerpt sadie just posted......

i watched a PBS show (frontline) last night called "the monster that ate hollywood".....all about how Jaws was he first megamovie of it's kind...mass publicity, mass release, and incredible profit. it marks the birth of the megacorporation and their absorbtion of independent movie studios. it paved the way for Star Wars, which was the first megamovie to develop a plethora of toys and product memorabilia.

Well.......everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Id be willing to guess that he is one of the few that dont respect star wars. The movie had a gigantic impact and is one of the best movies Ive seen. BTW - Lucas is a genius

I enjoy Star Wars because I think they're sucky films. They suck. And yet I enjoy them. They're so pulpy and rubbishy. Hoorah. They still suck, in my opinion.

I don't think George is a genius, mind you.
Far from it. I don't even think he's much of a director.
Much more so an entreprenur (sp?). And a damned fine one.

But genius? I don't think so, personally.

B&W
I don't think George is a genius, mind you.
Yeah, hasn't he only directed like, 2 out of the 4 Star Wars films?

Your opinion - Most of the world enjoys/enjoyed Star Wars. I also thuroughly enjoy the Indiana Jones Series, which is also who? Lucas. He wrote them all I believe, but didnt direct them all. I find them adventurous and generally fun to watch. You dont like them? Thats fine too. That doesnt take from the fact that others enjoy them.