the forces of nature dilemma

→ in
Tools    

spoiler warning: gives away the ending

forces of nature is a romantic comedy starring ben affleck as ben, an amiable, straightlaced guy who has to travel across america to get home for his wedding to his wealthy and sensible, but self-centred fiance bridget, played by maura tierney.

his flight is cancelled and he ends up sharing car and train rides with a free-spirited lady called sarah, played by sandra bullock in full black-eyeliner 'kooky' effect. they argue a lot and have some crazee misadventures but eventually realise they are made for each other.

as he becomes closer to sarah, ben starts to doubt whether he really loves bridget (when he phones her she's more interested in the wedding gifts than in how he is) and eventually has to choose between them.

the movie reminded me of a conversation i had last year with a lady at a salon whilst she cut my hair. we were talking about how hairdressing is a cool job because you get to meet people and listen to alanis morrisette all day and she explained that she was about to leave because she'd been offered a job with a finance company.

we agreed that when you leave school you want to get a job doing something you enjoy which fulfils you but when you get things like a car and a mortgage you compromise by getting a less-fulfilling but higher-paid job in, say, an office.

ben chooses bridget. they're both happy at the end, but i wanted a wish-fulfillment ending where ben and bridget tearfully admit that they like each other a lot but that their futures lie elsewhere and ben chooses sarah.

the movie seemed to be saying that a safe and cozy but boring life with bridget was preferable to a more difficult, but i feel more fulfilling life with the funny, natural but slightly wayard sarah.

i really liked sarah and i think he chose the wrong girl; what do you think?

Hope you don't mind me moving this to the Movie Reviews forum. I disagree, I'm afraid. I think, first of all, that we cannot say which decision is right or wrong -- we don't really know these characters. Secondly, choosing Sarah would be the EASY ending. It's been done a million times. I say kudos to the writer for daring to go in a different direction.

Sure, some see Affleck's character as choosing a "safer" marriage, but some might see it as a better marriage. Ya know, someone you fall head-over-heels in love with over a couple weeks is probably less likely to be someone you're truly compatible with than someone you've known for awhile. I wouldn't marry someone just becaused I found myself infatuated with them after 2 weeks...

...I think of an ideal spouse as someone who you respect, and who respects you. That ga-ga love period won't last.