South of Heaven, West of Hell

→ in
Tools    

Cool title so I rented it. But I didn't get it. Was it good? Did it bite? Can someone help me? Bridget Fonda is cute, that's all I know for sure.

Okay then, here's my own review.

This movie is beautiful. It has all the things TWT likes. Good film, pretty to look at etc... The most interesting thing it has is a brand spanking new director by the name of Dwight Yokum. Yup, the country music star. The story starts off with the usual western cliches but then quickly turns strange and unique. The story and writing aren't much and I found myself laughing at a serious scene. The diner scene. Bridget Fonda shows everyone who has the acting talent in that scene.

Anyway, I soon found myself paying more attention to the directing than to the movie. Dwight has potential! There are many realistic scenes ala Unforgiven that bring the old west to life, but over all I wouldn't reccomend this movie to anyone but Ryanpaige and other such people. He probably studies camera angles and other directors and stuff. Dwight shows himself as a newbie director but also as brilliant at times. Such as in the scene where the bank is assaulted with a gatlin gun. Most of the scene is shot from far away, this gives the viewer the feeling of being a bystander in the town. Another good shot is the ride into town. The camera stays centered on the kids chucking rocks the whole time. We along with the kids get the feeling of, what's this? Who is this large group of riders and what are they up to. Because we never see above the horses flanks the answer doesn't get answered till they arrive in town later. Other touches like the sheriffs inability to shoot straight also give it a more realist feel. In fact, most of the movie is shot from a distance. I don't think there was one close-up of Bridget in the whole film, which is unusual since she's a big star and quite pretty.

The story is funky and at times laughable. Like, the blacksmith gets shot 5 times during the movie and each time miraculously heals! Also, everyone seems to be wearing dresses around their necks. What the?? I think the movie was too black & brown so they decided to add some color. But some of the acting was good. The guy from the train, the guy that cusses a lot and Bridget Fonda were all good.

I would give this movie a D+ The + for effort and the instances of brilliance. Dwight should be encouraged to direct some more. Just so he can get the practice. In the future he could be great.

Ypur review didnt sound that bad but you only gave it a D+??? I prolly cant see this anyway, dont think the UK would have Dwight Yokem movies.

Well, I liked the directing but not the movie.