Baltimore Bridge Total Collapse, Francis Scott Key bridge

Tools    

https://www.facebook.com/share/r/eL9...ibextid=0VwfS7

I dont know if this link will work but its a video that shows the ship losing all power before hitting the bridge, then it came back on for a period, and then went out again unable to stop the collision.

For those who have never been here, this is what it was like driving over the bridge heading into the county
Nice find. The video really puts the bridge into perspective.

Now the "media" is arguing about the name of the bridge!!!
Oh I'm sure they wanted it changed when it's rebuilt etc.

For those who have never been here, this is what it was like driving over the bridge heading into the county

Amazing that not a single vehicle plunged into the water as it crossed the bridge. Because there was a steady stream of traffic going over.

Amazing that not a single vehicle plunged into the water as it crossed the bridge. Because there was a steady stream of traffic going over.
They were able to stop traffic right before. The only cars on the actual bridge belonged to the construction people.

They were able to stop traffic right before. The only cars on the actual bridge belonged to the construction people.
Still amazing to me.

I heard an interesting story about this. My wife has a college friend whose father was the ... I want to say pilot master? ... anyway, he was basically in charge of managing boat traffic through this harbor. He apparently insisted that they needed a protocol for stopping traffic on the bridge in an emergency, and had them drill it for times a year. When he retired he trained a replacement who he knew would maintain the protocol. Considering how little time they had between the mayday and the boat hitting the bridge, I guess it worked.

I heard an interesting story about this. My wife has a college friend whose father was the ... I want to say pilot master? ... anyway, he was basically in charge of managing boat traffic through this harbor. He apparently insisted that they needed a protocol for stopping traffic on the bridge in an emergency, and had them drill it for times a year. When he retired he trained a replacement who he knew would maintain the protocol. Considering how little time they had between the mayday and the boat hitting the bridge, I guess it worked.
Yeah, by Maryland law you need a licensed pilot to bring any ship in and out of the port of Baltimore. As soon as the ship lost power, he called dispatch and told them they were going to hit the bridge and they had to close it. They had 90 seconds to do so.

Yeah, by Maryland law you need a licensed pilot to bring any ship in and out of the port of Baltimore. As soon as the ship lost power, he called dispatch and told them they were going to hit the bridge and they had to close it. They had 90 seconds to do so.
Not just Maryland of course. Nationwide.