Classics that you grew up with

Tools    

Hi, just surfed on in from SitePoint and like what I see - this is a great forum. My friends and I are real 80s classics fans - the films that we grew up watching. Everytime they're on the telly we're watching them, if we seem them in a video shop, we buy them. There's a great market near the college that sells some of the greatest for £3-4.

Anyway, I was just wondering what you guys grew up watching. Amongst our list of classics are:

Karate Kid 1 (been trying to find it everywhere but can't! )
All the 80s Arnie films + Conan, and especially Predator
CaddyShack
Road House
Kickboxer + most JCVD films
Heartbreak Ridge
Platoon
Full Metal Jacket
Die Hard
Teen Wolf, Back to the Future (Michael J. Fox stuff in general)
Rocky 1 and 2 - maybe 4 - 3 and 5 were jokes
Rambo: First Blood - take or leave 2 and 3

There are more, and I realise that this list seems like the intellectual equivalent of a nursery exam, but these were things that we enjoyed when we were less than 10 years old (I'm 20 now). Our conversations these days tend to revolve or somehow incorporate quotations from these classics.

No doubt I'll post some more when they come to me, but this is what springs to mind now. What about you? What films did you love growing up and make an effort to enjoy whenever you can now?

Yeah I watched all those too !!!

I loved them all !!!

It's cool to watch those old movies with your buddies to catch up on old times. Then before you know it, you'll all be outside taping a playing card to your old 80's BMX bike's tire out in your garage. You'll all take turns riding around the block pretending the BMX is a motorbike. I just got in the mood to throw on my Jam's shorts and Allstar Shoes.

Now With Moveable Parts
Firstly, this thread is cool because there is a memeber called PooPooMaster. Secondly, it was a great idea for a thread.

Classic Movies I Grew Up With:

The Princess Bride
The Neverending Story
The Dark Crystal
The Labyrinth
The Navigator
Pee Wee's Big Adventure
Big Top Pee Wee
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
The Karate Kid
Goonies
Nightmare on Elm Street
Tremors
Stand By Me
The Cutting Edge
Back to the Future(s)

These are all movies I've watched at least 20 times.

As a child of the 70's and 80's I ofcourse watched all teh usual like Star Wars, Superman, Back To The Future, Goonies, Stand By Me and any other number of films that came out as I was growing up....

Some of the true classics I loved by my teen years were:

The Magnificent 7
The Great Escape
Rio Bravo
Red River
The Man With No Name trilogy
The Connery Bonds (still the best)
The Odd Couple
Kurosawa's Seven Samurai
Sparticus
The Vikings
The Rise and Fall Of The Roman Empire
The original Robin Hood (Still The best)
The Big Sleep
Cool hand Luke
The Dirty Dozen

plus tons more that I owned and watched repeatedly on tV and video tape.

There are many I'm forgetting, I'm sure, but below are a few of the movies that I saw at least a dozen times as a young child, and therefore will have trouble appreciating the way I wish I could:
  • "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory."
  • "Back to the Future."
  • "Star Wars: Return of the Jedi."
  • "Pee Wee's Big Adventue." (it's still funny)
  • "The Princess Bride." (didn't get half the jokes until I was, say, 13 or so, though)
  • "Gremlins." (I want a smokeless ashtray!)
Not exactly all classics, but, well, I don't care.

Star Wars
Back to the Future trilogy
An American tale 1&2
Turtles 2
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

Fival! Or whatever his blasted name was. Are those the ones you're talking about? I'll never be able to spell it properly. Man, I loved those as a kid. "The Rats of Nymn" is another good one...though I suspect I've butchered that as well.

Now With Moveable Parts
T! It's, "An American Tail" & "Fival Goes West"

and The Secret of Nimh. Wait, I think I spelled that wrong too.

B&W
home alone
home alone 2
jurasic park
terminator 2
universal soldier
lion king (disney)
aladin (disney)
beauty and the beast (disney)
turtles
gremlins
cheetah

hmmm,

An 80's movie list (I think that's when most of us were young, LOL) without mention of The Breakfast Club (my personal favorite of the brat pack)!

Gotta give it up for the old action flicks that Ollie mentioned... movies like Bloodspoort and Kickboxer may not be quite as impressive now (after the HK invasion), but damn were they ever fun when I was a kid!

I still consider most of Arnie's flicks classics though... Two of my favorites were Commando and Predator... they just don't make 'em like that anymore!

I loved The Secret of Nimh! I used to watch The Goonies all the time, its classic.

Now With Moveable Parts
I think I lived on The Goonies, for about a month. Love the Truffle-Shuffle.

Data (pretty sure that was his name, LOL) was always my favorite... love the booby trap

More like "boobie twap." My pinchers of pow!

Originally posted by OllieO
My friends and I are real 80s classics fans - the films that we grew up watching. Everytime they're on the telly we're watching them, if we seem them in a video shop, we buy them. There's a great market near the college that sells some of the greatest for £3-4.

Anyway, I was just wondering what you guys grew up watching. Amongst our list of classics are:

Karate Kid 1 (been trying to find it everywhere but can't! )
All the 80s Arnie films + Conan, and especially Predator
CaddyShack
Road House
Kickboxer + most JCVD films
Heartbreak Ridge
Platoon
Full Metal Jacket
Die Hard
Teen Wolf, Back to the Future (Michael J. Fox stuff in general)
Rocky 1 and 2 - maybe 4 - 3 and 5 were jokes
Rambo: First Blood - take or leave 2 and 3

There are more, and I realise that this list seems like the intellectual equivalent of a nursery exam, but these were things that we enjoyed when we were less than 10 years old (I'm 20 now).
Youre right on my wavelength OllieO. I have spent muchos cash trying to get as many stupid 80s movies as possible, especially the John Hughes films, Breakfast Club, Pretty In Pink and Ferris. Whatever happened to Anthony Michael Hall and Molly Ringwald?

Also:

The Sure Thing
Wierd Science
Fast Times At Ridgemont High
The Revenge Of The Nerds Trilogy
Sixteen Candles
The American Ninja movies
Top Gun
King Frat
Animal House (Ok it was 70s but what the heck)
Ghoulies

Also i cant believe someone mentioned BMXs without mentioning BMX Bandits!

I wouldnt go as far as calling them classics maybe but they sure are fun!

Whatever happened to Anthony Michael Hall and Molly Ringwald?
Well, Hall played Yankee pitcher (and Hall of Famer, if my memory serves me correctly) Whitey Ford in the HBO docudrama (or whatever you call it) 61*. He had a small role, I think, in Freddy Got Fingered, too. The last significant role I've seen him in is that of Bill Gates in the TV movie Pirates of Silicon Valley. Apparently he's done lots of sub-par projects over the last few years, though...so I guess he's still making a good living off of it all.

Molly Ringwald had a cameo in Not Another Teen Movie. Apparently she was in Teaching Mrs. Tingle and Ring of Fire (the latter has been done for some time, but I don't know if it was ever released. If it was, I guess it didn't receive much fanfare).

She was good in Stephen King's TV Mini-Series The Stand, though, which I've probably seen 3 or 4 times, at least, despite its 8-hour length. You should check it out if you haven't already. She was well cast there, I think.

Not sure of the exact date... but how about Heathers!!!

"Did you have a brain tumor for breakfast?"

"What's your damage!"

I still quote that movie all the time... LOL

The Princees Bride was THE MOVIE to watch when I was a kid. And of course the Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies. Anybody ever see The Gnomemobile?